Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#100753 04/19/08 10:37 AM
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
How about someone that has the decision making authority add the TOTALLY NECESSARY 3d ref for all the games with the possible exception of the JV girls games?
I estimate if each parent would pay one dollar per game more, then we could have the extra ref. I'd personally be happy to pay that fee. Any comments?
My son is a ref and he knows the 2 ref system leaves huge gaps in what can be seen. He gladly takes advantage of this as a player as do many of the kids.
Are there not enough refs or is SC just doing it on the cheap?

brace
brace
I think this is culture and lack of refs—Most ADs (even ones who are suportive) don't really "get" this—and I am pretty sure SC lacks enough refs—We had two separate crews at a triple-header last night—and the first crew left ASAP out of fear that the second wouldn't show and they'd be forced to ref—One ref noted he had done 10 matches that week. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
There is a huge shortage of refs, especially quality refs. They are terribly overworked and if some parents and a few coaches don't get a grip on themselves the problem will just get worse. Trust me, the money is not enough to put up with what they endure.

The sad thing is that the two person system limits a coach's tactical options. It is pretty scary to run a flatback defense when you KNOW that the ref will not be in perfect position to call the offsides.

CJ #100756 04/19/08 02:07 PM
brace
brace
CJ:

Some GREAT points.

First, ONE quality ref may be better than two or even three inexperienced/low-quality refs.

Second, EVERY SINGLE soccer program should begin EDUCATING and RE-EDUCATING the parents and fans. . .The poor knowledge and attitudes of fans may be serious deterrents to anyone pursuing soccer ref'ing.

At a recent match, the refs came up to the coaches of the home team and thanked the coaches/team/fans for a pleasant ref'ing experience—unprompted.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I agree. We have had officials who have, in my opinion, called some very good and fair matches, but still have to hear a lot of negativity from the stands. People need to understand that the calls aren't always going to go in our favor, and there are a number of factors that go into each on-the-fly decision. Anyone who is out there making a conscientious effort to call a fair match and ensure the safety of the players deserves a thank you now and then.

From ground level, not everything is always seen as it is from the elevated stands, and sometimes things are missed and people make mistakes. I made a bad one myself earlier this week when I failed to notice an opposing player down and called for one of mine to save a ball that was going out. I was wrong, I goofed, and I felt bad...but I hope that doesn't make me one of those names people tend to call officials when they make an honest mistake as well.

There are only two errors by officials I get upset about--making calls that affect the course of the game when they are not in position or don't have solid cause, and (especially) failing to get involved and blow the whistle when blatant violations occur and/or player safety is at risk. We have been fortunate enough to have very few of either situation this season.

To the officials who have made a conscientious effort to call a fair match, who have taken the time to explain calls and expectations to both players and coaches to improve their understanding of the rules and the game, who have put player safety as a priority, and who have agreed to let the honest efforts of the players decide the course of the match, I want to say thank you. Keep coming back. And bring some like-minded friends with you!

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
brace
Coach:

Your post helps me see what I think is the central "problem" with SC soccer—including the play, the coaching, the refs, and the fans/parents:

The disparity in soccer experience and knowledge. When refs are weakest (when coaches are weakest, when players are weakest, when fans/parents are weakest) is when they come to ref'ing with little to no soccer experience/knowledge.

The problem in SC is we NEED new people/players to come to HS soccer, thus we will have this disparity. Sigh. . .

Since we are in the girls forum—don't we all cringe at the girls matches when parents/fans scream EVERY time a player falls or two players touch. . .cheer when the ref calls EVERY fall and touch. . .making no distinction between fair play/contact and dangerous/unfair play/contact. . .those are the worst HS girls matches to endure. . .takes a quality ref to keep this from ruining a match in HS.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Totally agreed, and it takes a good eye and experience to tell the difference. There is a huge difference between situation one: two players going hard for the ball, meeting shoulder-to-shoulder, and one of them losing footing while the other continues with the ball, and situation two: player dribbling with the ball, another player puts a forearm in her back and face-plants her to the turf.

Good officials' call on situation one would be play on, situation two would be foul.

Common parents' call on either situation? "She knocked my daughter down--card her!!!!"

I've got good news and bad news...
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
A lot of parents really don't know the most basic of rules. You can hear it in the stands all the time. I had to move locations at the last game I attended. It was just too much to listen to. As the level of play improves, then so too shall the fans knowledge. But my point of the 3d ref is still valid and needs to be considered.
I asked one ref whom had just been told "I got that terrible call on film", why he does ref. He told me for the love of the game. I respect and appreciate that.
I think coaches could do a lot more by talking to the fans at the games, before the game starts. I know that's a semi-crazy idea but it would help protect the refs and keep them coming back.
The money is FAR too little just justify what they put up with.

goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
Or, a better idea than the coaches talking to the fans would be a generic statement over the PA system that is played before every game.

S
coach
coach
S
In the spirit of trying to see all sides of the issue...and to perhaps cut the "average" parent a bit of a break; that parent often has to pay the hundreds and even thousands of dollars in orthopedist bills as well as secondarily potentially being a bit concerned about their child's health -- so the yelling in a very physical game might represent a primarily financial as well as a minor tertiary personal concern.

I'd like to see three referees -- but more than that I'd like to see some (not all) referees stop letting kids ride other kids like horses and make a call without needing the evidence of a trail of bloody viscera on the field.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard