Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Shibumi #100763 04/19/08 07:33 PM
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
IMO most of the yelling comes from parents that have not spent tons of money on club ball. The club ballers, in general, know a good tackle from a dangerous one, even when it is against their kid. There are of course, very loud exceptions.
I find the thousands comes from playing for clubs. Insurance pays for the injuries, but they're not interested in helpding with the costs for the 90 min drive to practice, not the tournament in Flordia.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
A third ref is always available for any HS, as long as your AD insists on one, and is willing to pay the additional expense.

SV-Dad #100765 04/19/08 08:04 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

A third ref is always available for any HS, as long as your AD insists on one, and is willing to pay the additional expense.

A nice thought, but unfortunately simply not true. I have spoken to the assignors myself. Expense and willingness to pay has nothing to do with it; we have a standing request for three at all times, including JV, but sometimes only two are available. We even had one instance where we were unable to play a makeup game on a particular date because there were NO officials available and some schools were already shorted from 3 to 2. In situations like this, the assignors have to make decisions on how to distribute the available personnel. Is it a big rivalry game? Is it for region ranking? Do these schools have a history of behavior that needs to be tightly controlled for safety issues? These are just some of the questions that go into the decision about who gets three and who gets two when there aren't enough to go around. Willingness to pay for three is often irrelevant.

Now, I may be completely fooled, it may be a conspiracy, and there may be a top-secret pool of officials waiting in reserve to not get paid at all because they just don't come in threes when requested...ha, ha, joke's on Chass...

But somehow I doubt it.

I've got good news and bad news...
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
I've never seen 3 at a SC school game,

C
Coach
Coach
C
As far as coaches talking to parents, it is a good idea, I think. I'm really lucky to have a great group of parents who are very supportive of the team and their kids; they bring a lot of much-needed enthusiasm to the game, and like anyone, sometimes a couple may get a little carried away with best intentions. It's just a product of the intensity of the match and wanting to be involved. Still, at a recent game, an official commented to me that the fans were getting a little abusive; it only took a second and a gesture to get them to take it down a notch, and the rest of the game was played out without incident.

Most parents who attend matches are great people who are there to support their teams, not cause problems for the players or coaches; just taking a second to communicate with them about how they can help or potentially hurt can make a lot of difference in the environment of the game.

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
brace
You have great parents, Coch Chass. We do to.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
S
coach
coach
S
Farkas: Even though I was attempting (and obviously failed) to be a bit sarcastic about the financial impact being more important than concern about the health of a player, I thought one issue you raised was interesting. "Insurance pays for the injuries..." -- this could be the epitaph for health care in the United States!

Shibumi #100770 04/20/08 12:29 AM
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
sorry, I missed it.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

A nice thought, but unfortunately simply not true. I have spoken to the assignors myself. Expense and willingness to pay has nothing to do with it; we have a standing request for three at all times, including JV, but sometimes only two are available..

Quote:

I've never seen 3 at a SC school game,

Maybe it's different here in the Columbia area, but we've had 3 refs for all of our home games this year plus several away games, including at BC, Spring Valley, and Dutch Fork.

Again, my experience is in the Columbia area, but I think the referee shortage is not as great as it is perceived to be. If the games were spread out across 5 days per week, rather than primarily on Mondays and Fridays, we could come much closer to having enough refs for 3 per game. I ref'd more when my daughter was playing high school, and the referee assignor needed me mostly on the nights when I was sitting in the stands watching her play. He didn't have as many available games for me on the other nights. If more games had been scheduled on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, I would have been available to referee more games. I know of quite a few parents/refs who are in this same situation now.

I personally do believe cost plays a big part in this at quite a few school districts. This impression has come from my discussions with AD's when I ref'd games at their schools.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Regarding Parents...

I'll jump in on this one and the role that the coach can play- both for high school and the "club" side of the game. This might be a bit long…..

I've been heard to tell my parents one thing that I like about high school soccer over club soccer is the track. At this point they tend to get a puzzled look on their faces. I then ask "When you get really excited and into a game, just how close to the sideline do you put your chair at club matches?" To which they often reply- "As close as I can without being in the way." To which I reply- "That is what I like about the track." I've had one or two parents get a bit ruffled about this, but mostly they laugh and get the subtle message. I've been told that the players mirror the coaches lead in regards to behavior and what-all, well, I think the same can be true with parents and fans. I too have been VERY FORTUNATE to have great parents for both HS and club ball but I do believe that the parents look to the coach for cues on how to behave and react just like my kids do. If any of my parents are reading this right now they may very well be laughing about “the email” and they will pick at me by saying to one another “Oh goodness, lets don’t do anything to get another email.” Every now and then you will get a true knucklehead parent who just wants to do things his/her way and only see things the way he/she wants to see them – black, white, or red- as the case may be, but all in all I believe that despite all the bad press they may receive—parents are people too. (Yes that is an attempt at sarcasm) Sometimes coaches are not able or willing to jump in when it comes to parents. Sometimes they need to do more than they are.

Basically – What I am trying to do is “ditto” what Coach Chass said, I’m just not doing as good a job at being succinct as he did.

tk

Tony King
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard