Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
I understand the "fee" at the gate and that can vary with the game. I'm talking about the parents adding X amount at the beginning of the season to hire the 3d ref. If all the teams did this, then it wouldn't have to be a large increase and we'd, in theory, get a better, safer game.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Right...which would be perfectly legitimate if done through the athletic department and the parents are willing.

I've got good news and bad news...
Shibumi #100785 04/21/08 01:18 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P: Several questions. First, what is the cost difference between two and three referees on a per-game basis? Second, are there any rules to prevent parents from getting together to pay it? Third, are three referees mandated in the playoffs?

I just got back to internet access after being out of town for a tournament. I think Coach Chass answered your questions as well as or better than I could.

Coach P #100786 04/21/08 12:53 PM
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
OK,
it seems the road block is at the local AD level, but is there no ruling authority over SC prep athletics that can mandate a fee increase (likely paid by the parents)so that all teams must share the costs of the 3d ref? If there is such an authority, then we need the email address and we need to send a lot of email to him/her.

I
goal
goal
I
It is funny under a girls forum, starting the whole blog by, discounting girls JV by saying it may be less necassary to do a three man team for Girls JV. JV yes or no, but not a gender split.

goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
JV girls that I've seen is less aggressive play and IMO can be handled by 2 refs, JV boys, no way,
not trying to be biased, just stating an opinion,
JV girls parents would catch a break on the fees.

goal kick
goal kick
Shibumi,
here are my answers to your questions, at least a couple of them.

I agree about the quality of the overall pool of referees.

Parents/fans are going to yell and scream no matter what sport it is if they have a vested interest in the game, a child playing or their favorite school. In other sports does the fan yelling cause officials to stop working games? I do not think so. I reffed basketball a couple of seasons and the fans yell at the ref just as much as in soccer but they do not have a problem getting officials. But they have the joy of having a huge pool of players/fans who grew up with the game of basketball and are willing to officiate. We is soccer, hopefully, will start having this luxary soon. Once the young players of today become "adults" and are willing to become officials. I think the "root cause" is not money but lack of officials.

Someone said why do we not just get basketball officials to become soccer referees and teach them the game. I worked, as a referee, with a partner that came to soccer from basketball without any soccer experience. Needless to say it was a very interesting game. I feel that you need some sort of soccer experience to referee. And not just "refereeing from the stands".

Just my thoughts which I am sure are questionable at best since they tend to rumble around in the empty space between my ears.

Hey, it's not rocket surgery!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard