Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Coach Young #100826 04/27/08 05:08 PM
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
In an earlier thread I said that I thought Wren was one of the most underated teams in the state. I wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs! Burriss does a great job and they deserve to be back in the rankings, finally!

I think the ranking gods may have been kind to our team based on our strong non-region schedule, but I know that we really need to have a good showing against Dorman if we want to be considered an elite program. I know that some will disagree with me sharing that thought with all of you, but it is time we stand up and make it so!

CJ #100827 04/27/08 05:12 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
You don't blow any smoke and if they don't like your honesty, don't read it

TLH lost by 3 to Riverside
Closed the gap to 1 against Byrnes
I'm going with a win by 2 over Dorman!

I like the late season scheduling you've done. Get some tough games to sharpen things up right before the big dance. Much smarter than that yahoo before ya !

Coach Young #100828 04/27/08 05:30 PM
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
You know, there is a lot to be said for scheduling hard non-conference matches. A case in point is that we played Westside the night after playing Byrnes and you should have seen the speed at which freshman Summer Miller collected, moved to space, and distributed the ball in that Westside game. This is absolutely not a knock on Westside because Ryan knows that I think he prepares his girls better than anyone, but it looked like Summer was on a completely different hemisphere from everybody else. The problem is that by the second half, I thought we did not maintain that high level of play and EVERYTHING seemed so slow.

I think that is why Region 2 teams tend to do so well in the playoffs. I know I have mentioned this before, but look at Byrnes last year. They lose their last three regular season games then come into TL Hanna Memorial Stadium ready to play. Easy competition and vulgar stats help nobody when it comes to playoffs.

CJ #100829 04/28/08 12:41 PM
J
goal kick
goal kick
J
2A Rankings

Since 2A/1A playoff brackets are based on how teams are seeded, rankings are important in this division. With that said, I noticed that West Oak is ranked 8. I am sure they are a fine team but shouldn't Barnwell be 8, Gilbert 9, and Emerald 10? My reasoning is that West Oak lost to Easley and Seneca and Emerald beat both. (Barnwell beat Gilbert, and Gilbert beat Emerald).

JIMBO #100830 04/28/08 12:50 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
But it is time to stand up and make it so...

Excellent comment CJ for there is no second chances in the playoffs

JIMBO #100831 04/28/08 02:08 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

2A Rankings

Since 2A/1A playoff brackets are based on how teams are seeded, rankings are important in this division. With that said, I noticed that West Oak is ranked 8. I am sure they are a fine team but shouldn't Barnwell be 8, Gilbert 9, and Emerald 10? My reasoning is that West Oak lost to Easley and Seneca and Emerald beat both. (Barnwell beat Gilbert, and Gilbert beat Emerald).

You are correct that SEEDING is huge for AA/A; I think rankings do NOT always result in seedings since the committee meets and can come to a different conclusion. Rankings do suggest something, and I agree that at least Barnwell has a good argument to be above WO if you look at records, strength of schedule. Not sure Gilbert has an argument. Emerald has lost 6 of the last 7 matches. . .should be commended for the scheduling, but that's a hard argument.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
cat's cradle #100832 04/28/08 03:40 PM
G
kick off
kick off
G
Not sure that Walhalla should have dropped 3 places with only their 2nd loss of the season.

goal08 #100833 04/28/08 03:44 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Not sure that Walhalla should have dropped 3 places with only their 2nd loss of the season.

Walhalla has a very weak schedule, and suffers the fate of losing late in the season. The loss to CC following CC losing to Woodruff pushed Walhalla at least down 2; the bump of AM so high might be more debatable. BUT for playoff purposes, AM doesn't hurt Walhalla. The end of the season results (for now) suggest Walhalla is 3rd in the Upstate behind Woodruff and CC.

goal08 #100834 04/28/08 03:49 PM
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I find that our record is a little misleading.....we are 8-10..but have played a difficult schedule (also have lost 3 starters for the year due to injuries)...we are 1-2 against Academic Magnet with one of those losses coming in a tournament in our third game....who is ranked #4....I don't put much thought on the rankings....they dont put enough emphasis on strength of schedule...you can play a very soft schedule and be 10-5 and still be ranked higher than a team that is 8-10 and play a difficult schedule...I purposely play a difficult schedule to prepare my girls for the playoffs and to up our level of play. Since I am on the seeding committee for the first time, it is going to be interesting to see how it goes

M Allen #100835 04/28/08 04:20 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

I find that our record is a little misleading.....we are 8-10..but have played a difficult schedule (also have lost 3 starters for the year due to injuries)...we are 1-2 against Academic Magnet with one of those losses coming in a tournament in our third game....who is ranked #4....I don't put much thought on the rankings....they dont put enough emphasis on strength of schedule...you can play a very soft schedule and be 10-5 and still be ranked higher than a team that is 8-10 and play a difficult schedule...I purposely play a difficult schedule to prepare my girls for the playoffs and to up our level of play. Since I am on the seeding committee for the first time, it is going to be interesting to see how it goes

Barnwell?

In fact, I believe SOS is very much considered in the ranking. How else would a team with a losing record be ranked here? BE, AM, and CC have historically received high rankings in part due to tradition (winning) and a history of a strong schedule. Woodruff has benefited from a commitment to a strong schedule recently as well.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard