Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
#100806 04/20/08 02:50 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Congrats to West Florence and Clover for breaking into the 4A rankings! Outstanding Irmo fell out, however still remains as the 25th All-Class rankings. I think they'll be back up top come next weekend. Blue Ridge falls out in AAA with Wade Hampton jumping in.

Coach Young #100807 04/20/08 05:52 PM
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Congrats to West Florence and Clover for breaking into the 4A rankings! Outstanding Irmo fell out, however still remains as the 25th All-Class rankings. I think they'll be back up top come next weekend. Blue Ridge falls out in AAA with Wade Hampton jumping in.

psssst. I know it's a secret but the Lady Bengals also slipped into the top 15 along with Wade Hampton.

.....but don't tell anyone!

tk

Tony King
Tony King #100808 04/20/08 08:04 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Congrats to Clover! Well deserved. I dunno about dropping Irmo. They're awfully tough too. Just not enough room, I guess. We need room for more than 15 teams in the top 15

Doin' it the hard way...
realmccoy #100809 04/20/08 08:42 PM
goal kick
goal kick
Good to see WF on there. They have alot of promise, especially considering the majority of the team are freshmen and sophomores.

'A ten-foot keeper really should have stopped that' -Ron Atkinson
tiredsoccermom #100810 04/20/08 09:01 PM
S
coach
coach
S
The rankings are always fascinating. I spent 15 minutes trying to understand what was going on here quantitatively. Here's an interesting exercise: take each of the top 15 teams, examine win/loss/tie records, examine top-25 teams played to date, and examine ranking. From these you can create a deviation from expectation on a number of axes. Here's an upshot of some of the more interesting results.
  • Riverside was moved to #2 in 3A despite the fact that they have played against a lot more top-25 teams (10) than any other 3A programs. The Mauldin (4-A) loss that moved them into #2 typifies this.
  • South Aiken has played 15% more top-25 teams than the average of the top 16 teams in 4A and is by far the lowest ranked 12-win team.
  • North Augusta is ranked far below other 11-win teams; however, an excuse here could be that they have played fewer top-25 teams than average (4 versus 6.1.)
  • Nation Ford is the only 10-win team that is unranked; however, they've played only 2 top-25 teams (average 6.1.)
  • West Florence has played a single top-25 team.

What's the bottom line? In terms of ranking, it doesn't seem to pay to play a tough schedule. My guess is that it might be rather advantageous in the playoffs, however. We're close to seeing...

Shibumi #100811 04/21/08 12:28 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
I had to go to 2002 to find a second round playoff team from West Florence's region (it was West Florence). I know playoffs are the ultimate measuring stick and it's hard to get a ranking too wrong after it's all said and done. They played SV close and that'll help come playoffs. Looks like they'll get a piece of Berkley and Coach Chass. Should they make it past it's West Ashley or Ridge View. That's not a bad match up the first two rounds there.

I'd like to see Region 3 and how they do after round 1. They have been beating on each other and it's been hard to gauge how good they are. Fort Mill is looking good and is tested, but how up and coming Clover and Nation Ford perform is going to key. NF hasn't played a single top 25 team outside their region and Clover has only played 2 matches.

Coach Young #100812 04/21/08 02:27 AM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Yeah, IF we can take care of business this week...lucky me, I get out of facing Summerville or West Ashley in the first round and wind up looking down the barrel of a #11-ranked West Florence...where did THAT come from?

Ah, well...I promised my team I'd wear a bright pink shirt to school if they knocked off a ranked team...nothing like giving them another chance!

I've got good news and bad news...
Coach Chass #100813 04/21/08 12:50 PM
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Anybody know the tiebreaker for region 3???? IF NW could pull the upset and beat Clover; and FM sweeps NF, there will be a 3 way tie between NW, NF, and Clover for 2nd 3rd and 4th. That would indeed be very strange.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
cid0000 #100814 04/21/08 02:30 PM
brace
brace
I definitely want to vote for Kyle and Kevin to keep doing the rankings. Mom used to say: "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it."

Let's get real. There is no one anywhere who spends more time on soccer for others. Every once in a while, a thank you is warranted.

From the unranked, who were ranked, to those who just watch the Fox Soccer Channel when we aren't eating or sleeping, thanks to the Heises.

brace
brace
OK, another idea. Everyone is ranked #1 in AAAA, AAA, AA, and A.

There, that should do it.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
I like corn on the cob, but not green beans.

Last edited by Dale Jr; 04/21/08 03:30 PM.
Coach Young #100817 04/21/08 03:00 PM
brace
brace
Doesn't it say "Kyle and Kevin"?

Refer back to earlier editing situation. Got you again.

S
coach
coach
S
ROH: I think he got you; he quoted your text in his message -- the message board equivalent of video tape!

I'll have to admit, I didn't know that Kyle and Kevin did the rankings -- I thought it was some collaborative process among coaches along the lines of the college coaching rankings. Just shows my ignorance...

Regardless of who does them, what's interesting to me about the data is the impact of a loss versus the impact of a win -- as you might expect, losses are more important than wins. Certainly this is reflective of many ranking systems. Secondly, what's interesting about the data is the degree of influence strength of schedule has on the results.

Are the rankings "right"? Not even sure what that means -- all I'm sure of is that they're a better informed opinion than my own. Would I place a bet against them every now and then? In certain circumstances, yes (i.e., I'd probably bet on Riverside against most other higher ranked 4A and 3A teams) -- and I'd probably bet on Irmo against a lot of higher ranked 4A and 3A teams. Does that mean the rankings are "wrong" -- not in my opinion because it's understandable why Riverside is ranked below a group of 4A teams and a 3A team and why Irmo is ranked at #25.

I've always thought that the rankings were more things to discuss, analyze, etc. than anything else...

brace
brace
This 6 hours to fix stuff is really cool.

Kyle and Kevin have an older brother named Keith who is about 65. He runs a Dairy Queen in Alabama if I remember correctly. I saw him at a chewing tobacco contest in the mid 80's. His parents never really gave him attention because he didn't play soccer and couldn't rank teams very well. He has been kinda overlooked.

Shibumi #100820 04/21/08 03:16 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

ROH: I think he got you; he quoted your text in his message -- the message board equivalent of video tape!

I'll have to admit, I didn't know that Kyle and Kevin did the rankings -- I thought it was some collaborative process among coaches along the lines of the college coaching rankings. Just shows my ignorance...

Regardless of who does them, what's interesting to me about the data is the impact of a loss versus the impact of a win -- as you might expect, losses are more important than wins. Certainly this is reflective of many ranking systems. Secondly, what's interesting about the data is the degree of influence strength of schedule has on the results.

Are the rankings "right"? Not even sure what that means -- all I'm sure of is that they're a better informed opinion than my own. Would I place a bet against them every now and then? In certain circumstances, yes (i.e., I'd probably bet on Riverside against most other higher ranked 4A and 3A teams.)

I've always thought that the rankings were more things to discuss, analyze, etc. than anything else...

Kind of a standing joke between Dale Jr. and I. I goof it up, he fixes it, I edit it, he deletes his message, I delete my message, and then we go await the next ROH mental giant moment.

brace
brace
Hey, Dale, anyway you can fix the Riverside score? Edit that thing? For those of you who haven't seen Riverside in 5th gear, hope you are in AAAA.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Man, if I could edit scores....whew!!!

Coach Young #100823 04/22/08 12:13 PM
goal kick
goal kick
where is the list of rankings?

Anton Horner #100824 04/22/08 12:18 PM
goal kick
goal kick
http://216.27.84.134/findhighschoolsc08/

You can go to this website and type in the team you want. Once you get to their scoreboard there should be a link above that says: Week #8 Rankings AAA or AAAA. Even if the team is not ranked it will still have the link.

Red Card #100825 04/27/08 04:48 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
This week we lose West Florence after two losses and gain Wren. Welcome back, Michael Burriss and the Lady Hurricanes.

Coach Young #100826 04/27/08 05:08 PM
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
In an earlier thread I said that I thought Wren was one of the most underated teams in the state. I wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs! Burriss does a great job and they deserve to be back in the rankings, finally!

I think the ranking gods may have been kind to our team based on our strong non-region schedule, but I know that we really need to have a good showing against Dorman if we want to be considered an elite program. I know that some will disagree with me sharing that thought with all of you, but it is time we stand up and make it so!

CJ #100827 04/27/08 05:12 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
You don't blow any smoke and if they don't like your honesty, don't read it

TLH lost by 3 to Riverside
Closed the gap to 1 against Byrnes
I'm going with a win by 2 over Dorman!

I like the late season scheduling you've done. Get some tough games to sharpen things up right before the big dance. Much smarter than that yahoo before ya !

Coach Young #100828 04/27/08 05:30 PM
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
You know, there is a lot to be said for scheduling hard non-conference matches. A case in point is that we played Westside the night after playing Byrnes and you should have seen the speed at which freshman Summer Miller collected, moved to space, and distributed the ball in that Westside game. This is absolutely not a knock on Westside because Ryan knows that I think he prepares his girls better than anyone, but it looked like Summer was on a completely different hemisphere from everybody else. The problem is that by the second half, I thought we did not maintain that high level of play and EVERYTHING seemed so slow.

I think that is why Region 2 teams tend to do so well in the playoffs. I know I have mentioned this before, but look at Byrnes last year. They lose their last three regular season games then come into TL Hanna Memorial Stadium ready to play. Easy competition and vulgar stats help nobody when it comes to playoffs.

CJ #100829 04/28/08 12:41 PM
J
goal kick
goal kick
J
2A Rankings

Since 2A/1A playoff brackets are based on how teams are seeded, rankings are important in this division. With that said, I noticed that West Oak is ranked 8. I am sure they are a fine team but shouldn't Barnwell be 8, Gilbert 9, and Emerald 10? My reasoning is that West Oak lost to Easley and Seneca and Emerald beat both. (Barnwell beat Gilbert, and Gilbert beat Emerald).

JIMBO #100830 04/28/08 12:50 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
But it is time to stand up and make it so...

Excellent comment CJ for there is no second chances in the playoffs

JIMBO #100831 04/28/08 02:08 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

2A Rankings

Since 2A/1A playoff brackets are based on how teams are seeded, rankings are important in this division. With that said, I noticed that West Oak is ranked 8. I am sure they are a fine team but shouldn't Barnwell be 8, Gilbert 9, and Emerald 10? My reasoning is that West Oak lost to Easley and Seneca and Emerald beat both. (Barnwell beat Gilbert, and Gilbert beat Emerald).

You are correct that SEEDING is huge for AA/A; I think rankings do NOT always result in seedings since the committee meets and can come to a different conclusion. Rankings do suggest something, and I agree that at least Barnwell has a good argument to be above WO if you look at records, strength of schedule. Not sure Gilbert has an argument. Emerald has lost 6 of the last 7 matches. . .should be commended for the scheduling, but that's a hard argument.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
cat's cradle #100832 04/28/08 03:40 PM
G
kick off
kick off
G
Not sure that Walhalla should have dropped 3 places with only their 2nd loss of the season.

goal08 #100833 04/28/08 03:44 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Not sure that Walhalla should have dropped 3 places with only their 2nd loss of the season.

Walhalla has a very weak schedule, and suffers the fate of losing late in the season. The loss to CC following CC losing to Woodruff pushed Walhalla at least down 2; the bump of AM so high might be more debatable. BUT for playoff purposes, AM doesn't hurt Walhalla. The end of the season results (for now) suggest Walhalla is 3rd in the Upstate behind Woodruff and CC.

goal08 #100834 04/28/08 03:49 PM
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I find that our record is a little misleading.....we are 8-10..but have played a difficult schedule (also have lost 3 starters for the year due to injuries)...we are 1-2 against Academic Magnet with one of those losses coming in a tournament in our third game....who is ranked #4....I don't put much thought on the rankings....they dont put enough emphasis on strength of schedule...you can play a very soft schedule and be 10-5 and still be ranked higher than a team that is 8-10 and play a difficult schedule...I purposely play a difficult schedule to prepare my girls for the playoffs and to up our level of play. Since I am on the seeding committee for the first time, it is going to be interesting to see how it goes

M Allen #100835 04/28/08 04:20 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

I find that our record is a little misleading.....we are 8-10..but have played a difficult schedule (also have lost 3 starters for the year due to injuries)...we are 1-2 against Academic Magnet with one of those losses coming in a tournament in our third game....who is ranked #4....I don't put much thought on the rankings....they dont put enough emphasis on strength of schedule...you can play a very soft schedule and be 10-5 and still be ranked higher than a team that is 8-10 and play a difficult schedule...I purposely play a difficult schedule to prepare my girls for the playoffs and to up our level of play. Since I am on the seeding committee for the first time, it is going to be interesting to see how it goes

Barnwell?

In fact, I believe SOS is very much considered in the ranking. How else would a team with a losing record be ranked here? BE, AM, and CC have historically received high rankings in part due to tradition (winning) and a history of a strong schedule. Woodruff has benefited from a commitment to a strong schedule recently as well.

M Allen #100836 04/28/08 04:23 PM
G
kick off
kick off
G
Location, location, location.... schools cannot control who is in their region and $$$ regulate how far teams can travel to play competitive teams.

Daniel was a great challenge... they had almost 30 shots and the Walhalla keeper had 22 saves. Unfortunately Daniel only had room on their schedule for 1 game.

Walhalla girls have stepped up their game and the addition of the new coaches has made a huge difference in the girls level of play and commitment.

They are looking forward to playoffs and to playing CC again.

goal08 #100837 04/28/08 04:46 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Location, location, location.... schools cannot control who is in their region and $$$ regulate how far teams can travel to play competitive teams.

Daniel was a great challenge... they had almost 30 shots and the Walhalla keeper had 22 saves. Unfortunately Daniel only had room on their schedule for 1 game.

Walhalla girls have stepped up their game and the addition of the new coaches has made a huge difference in the girls level of play and commitment.

They are looking forward to playoffs and to playing CC again.

I agree. If Waccamaw did not have BE on their schedule, they would have little chance to be ranked highly, another weak schedule otherwise. Since I have seen CC, SCS, and Emerald, and since I know they have played several of the other teams in the rankings, I believe many AA/A are extremely close. Playoffs should be interesting.

cat's cradle #100838 04/28/08 06:42 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I just believe that A/AA is pretty weak overall period. I have no doubt that Waccammaw and Bishop England are by far the best two teams in that division.

Both teams could compete in the higher divisions most years. Maybe not for titles, but to be upper echelon teams.

The fact that Academic Magnet is in the top 4 is just more proof of my point. Neither Academic Magnet or Christ Church would be in the top 5 in the SCISA rankings. Academic Magnet got dominated by Pinewood Prep early in the season in a game where they packed 8 or 9 players in the 18 to try and keep Pinewood from scoring.

I also watched them in the B-C tournament and neither of those two teams had more than one player that could have been a starter for Hilton Head Prep.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Is this the same team that Swansea took to pk's?

goal kick
goal kick
Don't underestimate Woodruff in A/AA. I haven't seen BE or Waccammaw, but Woodruff has a solid team and is not afraid to play a very physical game. They are well-coached and should not be looked over in the coming playoffs. Also, they have had quite the run late in the season and are in good form. They have a lot of individual talent on that team, and seem to be putting it all together into a great team effort, too.

brace
brace
Quote:

I just believe that A/AA is pretty weak overall period. I have no doubt that Waccammaw and Bishop England are by far the best two teams in that division.

Both teams could compete in the higher divisions most years. Maybe not for titles, but to be upper echelon teams.

The fact that Academic Magnet is in the top 4 is just more proof of my point. Neither Academic Magnet or Christ Church would be in the top 5 in the SCISA rankings. Academic Magnet got dominated by Pinewood Prep early in the season in a game where they packed 8 or 9 players in the 18 to try and keep Pinewood from scoring.

I also watched them in the B-C tournament and neither of those two teams had more than one player that could have been a starter for Hilton Head Prep.

Apples to oranges; no one wishes to compare AA/A public schools with private schools; in fact, many here have stated often that private schools are more like AAAA public schools because the attendance playing fields are uneven. Quite unfair to make a sweeping negative comment about AA/A.

Woodruff has faired well against many private schools (even SCISA schools) over the past five or so years.

I
goal
goal
I
Try Woodruff, you will not like it. They can play with almost anyone.

Coach Young #100843 04/28/08 07:09 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
yes. A very poor game indeed.

It is also the same team that the Riverside coach was quoted as saying would compete for the AAA state title after the two played in the first round of B-C.

cat's cradle #100844 04/28/08 07:11 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
People that compare the private schools to AAAA public don't have any clue what they are talking about.

Most are talking about schools like Bishop England that have over 800 kids, not SCISA schools.

Hilton Head Prep has 70 girls in their highschool. How can that be any kind of attendance advantage?

goal kick
goal kick
I agree with SCISA sports fan on this. The majority of SCISA schools, while not having the restrictions regarding a certain area that public schools do, do not have the numbers of public schools. The biggest SCISA schools would have numbers comparable to public A schools at best. The fewer number of students to draw from, the harder to build a program. However, SCISA schools do enjoy the benefit of not being restricted in a certain geographical area. I guess we all have certain advantages. However, I wouldn't say that most SCISA schools should be paired with AAAA public schools on a regular basis.

I
goal
goal
I
Question: Does SCISA schools follow the same start/stop dates and other restrictions as SCHSL schools?

Goal
Goal
No, I think the SCISA schools start a week later and end a week later.

Victory Starts Here!
202677 #100848 04/28/08 07:29 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
AM lost to Pinewood Prep 2-0. I'm not sure I'd put that in the "dominated" category.

Using the same logic one could say "Riverside easily dominated the much weaker Hilton Head Prep - a team the Riverside Coach graciously said could compete for the AAA title."

It's just a little strong I think. Oh well, makes for interesting conversation

brace
brace
Quote:

People that compare the private schools to AAAA public don't have any clue what they are talking about.

Most are talking about schools like Bishop England that have over 800 kids, not SCISA schools.

Hilton Head Prep has 70 girls in their highschool. How can that be any kind of attendance advantage?

I do happen to know what I am talking about. . .but you have misread my point. I'll take blame for that.

Private schools ALL have different RULES than public schools—one of which is where students HAVE to live in order to attend the school (thus attendance—not the NUMBER attending). Also private schools can entice students to attend schools for many reasons (possibly sports), thus an unlevel playing field.

I have never suggested that private schools' raw numbers (attendance) are comparable, but I do assert that since private schools have DIFFERENT (and much more liberal) attendance restrictions, they are NOT equal to public schools with similar raw populations but with attendance zone restrictions.

To put it in context, if a public schools draws 750 students from an attendance zone of 8000 inhabitants, the private school with 250 students drawing from 50,000 inhabitants within driving distance is actually at an advantage (just as a public school with 750 students is not able to compete with public schools of 2600 students because they are drawing athletes from larger pools for the talent).

Thus, it is unfair and inappropriate to make sweeping (and negative) generalizations about AA/A based on comparing those public schools with private schools that are UNLIKE them.

cat's cradle #100850 04/28/08 08:11 PM
I
goal
goal
I
Like I told him play Woodruff, my money goes on the Wolverines, day in and day out. AA,AAA or AAAA
They bring it every night.

cat's cradle #100851 04/28/08 09:20 PM
S
throw in
throw in
S

I have never suggested that private schools' raw numbers (attendance) are comparable, but I do assert that since private schools have DIFFERENT (and much more liberal) attendance restrictions, they are NOT equal to public schools with similar raw populations but with attendance zone restrictions.

To put it in context, if a public schools draws 750 students from an attendance zone of 8000 inhabitants, the private school with 250 students drawing from 50,000 inhabitants within driving distance is actually at an advantage (just as a public school with 750 students is not able to compete with public schools of 2600 students because they are drawing athletes from larger pools for the talent).

Thus, it is unfair and inappropriate to make sweeping (and negative) generalizations about AA/A based on comparing those public schools with private schools that are UNLIKE them.

Private school girl soccer teams don't have a pool of 50,000 students to pool from and I would question the more "liberal" attendance restrictions. One you have to "test" in most private schools to be accepted (so there is an academic restriction) and two you have to have the economic means and/or desire to attend (a financial restriction). Don't kid yourself - I highly doubt there are any girl's high school soccer scholarships in South Carolinia - a southern state where football rules. Now if 1A/2A SC schools were competing with a private athletic school such as IMG in FLA. then maybe you would have a case. There I believe the students are selected and going there for academics AND sports - perhaps they have high school athletic scholarships. As far as switching schools to play on a better team, private schools playing in the highschool conference are restricted the same as public. Other than the freshman year, a student has to sit out a year if they played a year at another school - even if it was switching to/from a school they were zoned for.

scwame #100852 04/28/08 09:37 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
While private schools do face obstacles that public schools avoid, the option to play out of zone puts them on another level. No matter how many times we debate, that one factor changes everything.

Coach Young #100853 04/28/08 10:09 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Dale,

I was at both games.

Totally different scenarios. You have watched enough soccer to know that a 2-0 can be a complete domination while a 3-0 can be exactly the opposite.

Pinewood's game with AM was played in Pinewood's offensive third the whole night. AM had about 4 shots.

The game between Riverside and HHP was played in the middle 2/3's for the whole game with Riverside doing a much better job of finishing opportunities. I think Riverside was 3 for 9 on their shots, HHP was 0-12. Something along those lines.

BTW, I think Riverside is an amazing team and will beat either Airport or Hilton Head in the state finals.

Coach Young #100854 04/28/08 10:15 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
yes and no.

It is a huge factor when you are talking about the Charleston, Columbia and Greenville based private schools. Transfers from the giant public schools make a huge difference. The two Angotti-Smith sisters that transferred from Wando to Pinewood made them instantly the 2nd best team in SCISA.

It is not a factor at all when you are talking about the more rural and island private schools. Where are they going to get the kids from? There isn't a kid on either of the soccer teams from the two island SCISA schools that come from out of the public school's territory.

brace
brace
I will NOT take blame for this one. You have read carelessly. I NEVER said private schools have 50,000 students to choose from. My hypothetical was about the ATTENDANCE area; big public schools have an advantage over small public schools because the size of the school correlates highly with the size of the population of the ATTENDANCE area. With private schools, the size of the school does NOT correlate with the population of the ATTENDANCE area. My point is that private schools—while they may have a small student population—have an attendance area population that correlates better with a much larger public school.

Anyone can attend the private school no matter where they live; that is not the case with public schools.

Simply put, not playing under the same rules. So NOT the same.

My point is about equity, and about making comparison of unlike things.

Private and public are NOT the same. Any conclusions drawn by comparing them is made apples to oranges.

And I have never made any sweeping comment about SCISA schools being weak. . .especially based on comparing them to a group of teams unlike them. Please note the source of my comments.

I am also NOT suggesting any type of school is better or worse—just stating a fact. Different. Different playing field. Not valid to compare.

Last edited by cat's cradle; 04/28/08 10:29 PM.

S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

Totally different scenarios. [...]

Just to provide a statistical underpinning for this dialogue.

HHP has played two top-25 teams (Hilton Head [10] and Riverside [8].) Average goal differential was -2. Woodruff has played three top-25 teams (Riverside [8], TL Hanna [14], and Clover [22]) with an average goal differential of -2.3. Woodruff has scrimmaged 2 other top 25 teams.

Riverside has played 11 top-25 teams and has a record of 7-4 with an average goal differential of +0.9.

Shibumi #100857 04/28/08 10:37 PM
brace
brace
Want to make this even more interesting in terms of inequity?

Riverside is a public school that happens to be in a county with open enrollment, meaning they potentially can draw from a huge county. Little ol' Woodruff is in a district without open enrollment, drawing from 1/7th of Spartanburg county. . .

While all the private schools can have student attend from any house anywhere on the entire planet!

Seems fair to compare all of them.

cat's cradle #100858 04/28/08 10:52 PM
goal
goal
How will this thread compare in other sports(private vs public)? Will private schools have a larger number of children playing in club sports year round? I wonder what the average driving distance from a private school attendee to a club is verse the average public school attendee to a club (soccer)

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
cat's cradle #100859 04/28/08 11:28 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[cat's cradle] Woodruff has faired well against many private schools (even SCISA schools) over the past five or so years.<<

>>[Papa Hatfield] Try Woodruff, you will not like it. They can play with almost anyone.<<

>>[SCISA sports fan] It is also the same team that the Riverside coach was quoted as saying would compete for the AAA state title after the two played in the first round of B-C<<

>>[Papa Hatfield] Like I told him play Woodruff, my money goes on the Wolverines, day in and day out. AA,AAA or AAAA They bring it every night.

>>[cat's cradle] Seems fair to compare all of them.<<

I (pause) guess (pause)...

I'll have to admit that I don't the point that is trying to be made in a lot of these postings.

It seems to me that if a program wants to claim it can play with anyone, the right way to do it is to go out and create a schedule that will prove it.

There's always a reason why programs can't be compared. Many of these reasons are incredibly valid...whether it's open enrollment, private versus public, socioeconomic location, club strength in an area, etc. The best way to deal with this would seem to me to be fairly simple -- don't compare the programs except for the division in which they choose to play and/or based on the actual results of the teams against whom they play.

scwame #100860 04/28/08 11:42 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

Don't kid yourself - I highly doubt there are any girl's high school soccer scholarships in South Carolinia - a southern state where football rules.

Don't kid YOURself. While I'm not sure about regulations regarding private schools that compete in the High School League, I can assure you that there are private schools in SC that offer tuition scholarships to girls' soccer players, and they are not bound by recruiting restrictions like public SCHSL schools are.

Shibumi #100861 04/28/08 11:58 PM
brace
brace
Nice conflagration of the posting. . but I wasn't making a case about Woodruff. . .but I was making a much-repeated case about private being allowed to compete with public. . .and a fairly unfair comment about AA/A but a private supporter. . .

Coach Chass #100862 04/29/08 01:06 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

Don't kid yourself - I highly doubt there are any girl's high school soccer scholarships in South Carolinia - a southern state where football rules.

Don't kid YOURself. While I'm not sure about regulations regarding private schools that compete in the High School League, I can assure you that there are private schools in SC that offer tuition scholarships to girls' soccer players, and they are not bound by recruiting restrictions like public SCHSL schools are.

How can you assure me of that?

SCISA strictly forbids recruiting for athletic purposes the same as SCHSL does. There is not a single school in SCISA that offers athletic scholarships of any kind. It is strictly forbidden and contrary to popular belief, it is VERY strictly monitored. The SCISA schools are absolutely allowed to give out "Need-based" financial aid.

Private school tuition is just like college tuition. When my university gave me a track scholarship that covered the cost of my tuition, the athletic department had to write the university a check for the cost of my tuition every year. It is the same way at SCISA schools. VERY FEW kids in SCISA as a whole go to school for free. The school can't afford it. The school has to have the money to cover that financial aid. For example, at Porter Gaud, the school has to have over $20,000 per year for every student that is on a "full-ride" in it's coffers. There is no school in SCISA that can absorb that kind of hit financially.

There are just as many athletes moving from public school to public school to play on better teams and for better coaches as there are SCISA athletes.

I think that is absolutely how it should be. If a coach has built a successful program and kids want to be part of that for a myriad of reasons and can do it following the rules, I am all for it. If my kid was a football player and I had the means, I would absolutely make sure he was at Byrnes or Summerville or Gaffney.

cat's cradle #100863 04/29/08 01:11 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Nice conflagration of the posting. . but I wasn't making a case about Woodruff. . .but I was making a much-repeated case about private being allowed to compete with public. . .and a fairly unfair comment about AA/A but a private supporter. . .

I apologize for what you see as making an unfair comment about AA/A soccer. I do believe that AA/A is fairly weak this year and if that makes you uncomfortable, I apologize but this is a message board and is for posting one's opinions.

There are many years when the top teams in AA/A are very strong. I don't think this is one of them.

I saw Bishop England when they played Hilton Head High and I don't think they are as good as they have been in the past, because Hilton Head High is not as good as they have been in the past.

Hilton Head is very weak in the defensive backfield, but Bishop England really struggled against them when it had the ball in it's offensive third (which wasn't very often by the way).

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
*sigh* You got me. It doesn't happen. None of my players have ever been approached with offers from private schools because such things are strictly regulated and couldn't conceivably happen. I retract the statment and will chalk it all up to vicious rumor and overactive imagination.

Shibumi #100865 04/29/08 01:26 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Quote:

I'll have to admit that I don't the point that is trying to be made in a lot of these postings.

Know?

Shibumi #100866 04/29/08 01:28 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

Totally different scenarios. [...]

Just to provide a statistical underpinning for this dialogue.

HHP has played two top-25 teams (Hilton Head [10] and Riverside [8].) Average goal differential was -2. Woodruff has played three top-25 teams (Riverside [8], TL Hanna [14], and Clover [22]) with an average goal differential of -2.3. Woodruff has scrimmaged 2 other top 25 teams.

Riverside has played 11 top-25 teams and has a record of 7-4 with an average goal differential of +0.9.

This is tough to do because this website does not incorporate the rankings from teams outside of the state. Take a look at HHP's schedule again.

Other ranked teams they have played:

Westminster (GA) #7 Georgia All-class rankings
First Presbyterian (GA) #1 GISA (defending AAA state champs)
Stratford Academy (GA) #3 GISA
Libertyville (IL) #9 Illinois AAAA
Waukesha Catholic Memorial (WI) #1 Wisconsin Division 2 (defending Wisconsin all-classes tourny champion)

Coach Young #100867 04/29/08 01:29 AM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

Know?

I'd have gone with "understand."

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Dale,

I was at both games.

Totally different scenarios. You have watched enough soccer to know that a 2-0 can be a complete domination while a 3-0 can be exactly the opposite.

Pinewood's game with AM was played in Pinewood's offensive third the whole night. AM had about 4 shots.

The game between Riverside and HHP was played in the middle 2/3's for the whole game with Riverside doing a much better job of finishing opportunities. I think Riverside was 3 for 9 on their shots, HHP was 0-12. Something along those lines.

BTW, I think Riverside is an amazing team and will beat either Airport or Hilton Head in the state finals.

I was at that tournament and I saw Riverside score on HH prep in about 15 seconds and put it into cruise control. Don't feel bad about that, they are a great team but they paced themselves in that game.

I tried to stay out of this argument, but I am pretty sure that I have the only ranked 4A team that has played or seen most of the schools in question. The only team I have not seen or played is Waccamaw. But they must be pretty good if they beat a BE team we only beat 1-0 and who beat Wando.

I must admit I am biased about one thing...I love Woodruff. I want to be very careful how I say this, but they are easy to like because they homegrow their talent in a small mostly rural area. Nobody else will say it but I will...most of the private schools have students with more than just a little money for club soccer and the best of just about everything. I get tired of soccer being an elitest sport. I know we have talked about this a lot before but schools like Woodruff and BC in 3A show that it doesn't have to be that way. As I understand it and CC can correct me if I am wrong, most of their girls play together in a Spartanburg rec league. Isn't that the way it should be in a perfect world? You may not like it but I respect a team that will bring it every time you play them and punch you in the mouth and take your best punch. I think I have forgotten the point I started to make, but there you go...

Woodruff/BE in the final and I want to see it.

Coach Chass #100869 04/29/08 01:35 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Like a dog chasing it's tail...

Coach Chass #100870 04/29/08 01:36 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

*sigh* You got me. It doesn't happen. None of my players have ever been approached with offers from private schools because such things are strictly regulated and couldn't conceivably happen. I retract the statment and will chalk it all up to vicious rumor and overactive imagination.

Coach,

I am not saying that it doesn't happen. I am saying it doesn't happen anymore than it happens at SCHSL schools. Your post said that private schools are allowed to recruit and that is just not the case. They are no more allowed than SCHSL schools are. The rules forbidding it are very plain. They are posted here:

http://scisa.org/athletics/bluebook/

I would say to you that if you ever have ANY proof that a person from an athletic department at any SCISA member school approaches any of your athletes, you should call Mike Fanning (SCISA Athletic Director) and report it immediately. He can do nothing to help stop it if it never gets reported to him. You can get his contact information at www.SCISA.ORG

brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

I apologize for what you see as making an unfair comment about AA/A soccer. I do believe that AA/A is fairly weak this year and if that makes you uncomfortable, I apologize but this is a message board and is for posting one's opinions.

There are many years when the top teams in AA/A are very strong. I don't think this is one of them.

I saw Bishop England when they played Hilton Head High and I don't think they are as good as they have been in the past, because Hilton Head High is not as good as they have been in the past.

Hilton Head is very weak in the defensive backfield, but Bishop England really struggled against them when it had the ball in it's offensive third (which wasn't very often by the way).

Not upset—making a commentary about the strength of AA/A is fine—making it based on an unfair association is another. I wasn't disagreeing or being upset. But I do think basing the assessment on a comparison with SCISA is apples to oranges. Period.

Feel free to state opinions. Quite enjoyed. Got to throw out "conflagration."

Last edited by cat's cradle; 04/29/08 02:02 AM.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I stand corrected on the recruitment policies. I think the argument about private schools being able to draw students, by whatever means, from a wide area has already been discussed quite thoroughly and I don't really want to step into that. There are people who follow the rules and people who bend them on both sides of the fence.

As for reporting anyone, I haven't to my knowledge been harmed by any of these issues and have no desire to harm anyone else. Enough said about that.

Coach Chass #100873 04/29/08 11:10 AM
corner kick
corner kick
So when is HHP going to step out of the SCISA umbrella and compete for the SCHSL title? I am not disagreeing with you or saying they can't compete...I believe they can, so it would be nice to see that happen. Rumor was that St. Joe's was heading that way. Not sure if they still are.
Would HHP be A or AA if they did that? If several SCISA teams who would be classified as A did move over, there might actually be a separate A title game because there would be enough teams to have one. I would love to see this happen.

Fletch: It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.
world cup
world cup
Quote:

Quote:

Ouch! I have Hilton Head winning the state 3A title!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #100875 04/29/08 11:19 AM
brace
brace
Hurst, when and who does Fort Mill play in the playoffs?

world cup
world cup
I'm pretty sure we get Byrnes.

The fact that they scored two goals against Mauldin last night scares the hell out of me!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #100877 04/29/08 11:53 AM
brace
brace
Yikes. I bet Byrnes is saying the same thing,

cat's cradle #100878 04/29/08 12:05 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

Conflagration? This was the highlight of my morning; I spent time trying to find a basis for your usage in this context. I absolutely failed and thus decided it was meant less literally than symbolically (see below) -- and even so and I want you to know that my respect for you is such that I am the one who feels that I'm missing something (no sarcasm here -- absolute sincerity.)

Next...to my inadvertent dropping of a word in my post as noted by the other literary intelligentsia of this board -- whether it was "know", "understand", "comprehend" -- we'll never know, understand, or comprehend -- because my short-term memory is steaming pile of wrecked and disconnected semantically empty memes and I just can't remember what the heck word I was going to use.

Cat's Cradle -- the context for my posting was a reply to a SCISA fan, to which you replied, to which I replied. That's the reason for the dung-heap of a mash-up posting I made in which I made a quixotic attempt to reconcile why I had made my posting in the first place -- to which a conflagration of posts then occurred.

A couple of notes on this whole affair. First, there's a spreading round of fascinating posts regarding whether and how certain classifications, regions, and schools compare. It appears to be to be a relatively nihilistic exercise with the appropriate solution being scheduling -- but I was classically trained as an engineer and not a philosopher and thus the messiness of open-ended solutions has never appealed to me. That was really what I was responding to -- nothing else.

Again -- conflagration -- great term for the flaming posts that are all too often seen brightly burning but producing little in the way of constructive heat and light -- at least as it applies to my efforts!

Shibumi #100879 04/29/08 12:11 PM
brace
brace
Not to be picky, and I did like "conflagration" but in my past life I was an English teacher....

The actual Larry-the-Cable-Guy word is "conflab" which means, in redneck, to "babble incessantly" which means, in normal, "to talk or otherwise communicate with uttered sounds which mean nothing but to some people are considered communication because of their perpetual inability to comprehend anything."

I will have to think whether or not you can take the verb "conflab" (or is it a noun, probably....verb would actually be "to conflab") and change it into "conflabation"? Don't think so. Might be able to use it at a NASCAR race, but probably not a soccer game, especially girls...

brace
brace
"Conflagration" is literally about a big fire; the great heaping together of little fires to make one big fire by Shibumi was my intent. See the literary foundation for the usage, especially by Twain. Here:

The naturalist stood, tablets in hand, looking at the awful spectacle with as much composure as if the conflagration had been lighted in order to solve the difficulties of some scientific problem.
The Prairie by Cooper, James Fenimore

The spark - a feeble spark, first principle of conflagration - shone in the darkness like a glow-worm, then was deadened against the match which it set fire to, Porthos enlivening the flame with his breath.
The Man in the Iron Mask by Dumas, Alexandre

She had caught sight of her new Sunday gown-- a cheap curtain-calico thing, a conflagration of gaudy colors and fantastic figures.
Pudd'n'head Wilson by Twain, Mark

cat's cradle #100881 04/29/08 12:43 PM
brace
brace
Hey, cat's:

If you pulled that out of your hat without "search" or a book, you are one smart dude.....

Otherwise, that still is a great explanation of "conflag" and it's derivations.

Did anyone search "conflab"? Throw it in with Jeff Foxworthy and see what you get.

brace
brace
Or one smart dudette. Sorry.

S
coach
coach
S
cat's cradle is one smart dude -- if he pulled it out of a book, it was probably one of the books he's written...

Shibumi #100884 04/29/08 12:54 PM
world cup
world cup
He didn't pull it out of a book......he recited it from memory.

Shibumi #100885 04/29/08 12:58 PM
brace
brace
I am a male. (I do think another "cat" moniker is on the board who is female, though.)

I am also incurably full of crap—and full of useless information. Because I have read and do read way too much.

"Conflagration" was already in my vocabulary (sorry, I know too many words), but the examples were in a source—not my head. . .

cat's cradle #100886 04/29/08 01:01 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Reading? Books? Whoa, whoa, fellas. We're getting a little deep here. Don't know how long I can hold on...

Hurst66 #100887 04/29/08 01:03 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

I must admit I am biased about one thing...I love Woodruff. I want to be very careful how I say this, but they are easy to like because they homegrow their talent in a small mostly rural area. Nobody else will say it but I will...most of the private schools have students with more than just a little money for club soccer and the best of just about everything. I get tired of soccer being an elitest sport. I know we have talked about this a lot before but schools like Woodruff and BC in 3A show that it doesn't have to be that way. As I understand it and CC can correct me if I am wrong, most of their girls play together in a Spartanburg rec league. Isn't that the way it should be in a perfect world? You may not like it but I respect a team that will bring it every time you play them and punch you in the mouth and take your best punch. I think I have forgotten the point I started to make, but there you go...

Woodruff/BE in the final and I want to see it.

Agreed. It's hard not to pull for Woodruff. I was at the finals last year and was heartbroken when Woodruff didn't beat BE. I thought that was a superb team, led by Jessica Thomas who went on to be the MVP at the first Clash of the Carolinas by saving a ton of goals. [Admission of bias: Jessica was a club teammate of my kid from 2005-2007.]

CJ, I agree with you that it's the socioeconomic factor that doesn't get addressed here that's the "elephant in the room." There's a tendency for private schools to be much more affluent. And while that certainly doesn't translate into superiority in football or basketball, in girls soccer that's a huge factor. I'd like to see BE be forced to either play in SCISA or 3-A in girls soccer to even the playing field -- but that's one of those subjects we talk about every year.

Shibumi #100888 04/29/08 01:14 PM
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Thanks for replying to that post Shibumi. I was beginning to think that everybody was going to let that elephant sit for a while.

CJ #100889 04/29/08 01:27 PM
brace
brace
Woodruff doesn't have club players? I agree that they are an exceptional team, but I am not sure that their planning, support, etc. isn't exceptional also. There are teams in worse situations financially, equipment-wise, etc.

Does bring to mind the pm this year about the Woodruff girls having only one set of unis and deciding to wear a gold (yellow?) t-shirt last year in the state championship instead of the unis if I remember right.

OK, I love Woodruff.

S
goal
goal
S
If my memory serves me correct #9 for woodruff is the same premier player who scored 2 goals in the last 5 minutes for her CESA team in the finals at state cup in December. Yea Woodruff has quality club players too.

sweet feet #100891 04/29/08 02:16 PM
world cup
world cup
Shibumi,

If you are going to force Bishop England up to the 3A classification, can't you at least boost Riverside up to 4A at the same time?

sweet feet,

I think Woodruff also has one of the best freshmen in the state on their current squad.

Hurst66 #100892 04/29/08 02:19 PM
brace
brace
Woodruff has the BEST freshman. Don't kid yourself.

Riverside should be 6-A.

formerhscoach #100893 04/29/08 02:33 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

So when is HHP going to step out of the SCISA umbrella and compete for the SCHSL title? I am not disagreeing with you or saying they can't compete...I believe they can, so it would be nice to see that happen. Rumor was that St. Joe's was heading that way. Not sure if they still are.
Would HHP be A or AA if they did that? If several SCISA teams who would be classified as A did move over, there might actually be a separate A title game because there would be enough teams to have one. I would love to see this happen.

I don't think it will happen with either school. St. Joe's has been rumored for some time, but I believe that is mostly parents disgruntled with the fact that there are no other "true" uppperstate teams in SCISA. I could actually see them joining the NCISAA before turning to SCHSL.

As far as HHP goes, that will never happen. They are much to small and with two AAA public schools within 10 miles of each other in a very small population base, it would do nothing but hurt everyone involved.

As far as the size that HHP would be if they moved to schsl, I don't know what the attendance figurs are between each classification, but being that HHP only has 125 kids in it's highschool, I would imagine they would be A.

corner kick
corner kick
That would be my guess too. Too bad it can't work out. I think it would spice things up to have AT LEAST those two schools in A and have their own Championship.

Fletch: It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.
formerhscoach #100895 04/29/08 02:43 PM
S
goal
goal
S
Hurst:
That's who I was talking about.

ROH:
How about your favorite Riverside freshman?

formerhscoach #100896 04/29/08 02:46 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

That would be my guess too. Too bad it can't work out. I think it would spice things up to have AT LEAST those two schools in A and have their own Championship.

I too would love to "spice things up". There is a perfect way to do it. A tournament of Champions at the end of the season.

The team that HHP played from Wisconsin, Waukesha Catholic Memorial, is ranked #1 in the smallest division, but they have a tournament of champions to decide the overall state championship and WCM has won it two years in a row.

I think a four team tournament with the AAAA, AAA, AA/A and SCISA AAA champs would be outstanding soccer. Draw the semifinal matchups out of a hat and then let them play it out.

It would be a huge money maker.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
SCISA sports fan - Unfortunately that is not permissible via SCHSL rules. Teams cannot play additional games after the playoffs/championship are played.

Kevin Heise #100898 04/29/08 02:57 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

SCISA sports fan - Unfortunately that is not permissible via SCHSL rules. Teams cannot play additional games after the playoffs/championship are played.

Yes. That doesn't mean I am going to quit screaming about it from every rooftop.

Another one of SCHSL's wonderful guidelines that is in the best interest of everyone involved.

Kevin Heise #100899 04/29/08 03:01 PM
brace
brace
I don't mean to dwell on Woodruff (I grew up there, taught there 18 years, coached the first girls team, coached with Fernando with the boys and girls team, and have a wife coaching the JV and assisting the varsity—and my daughter played there 4 years), but I will confirm two things:

Casey Black is a CESA-premiere player and and outstanding player/young lady. Top freshman possibly, one of the best players period in the state.

Woodruff more than ten years ago had no girls program and almost no boys playing club. When I started coaching the boys, I promoted the need for year-round playing. Fernando has made the same request for the boys and now the girls. Now WHS girls have most of their players playing at some level of club in the fall (most in Spartanburg)—for the record.

I consider this a huge commitment from the community for quality high school girls soccer.

cat's cradle #100900 04/29/08 04:19 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Just looked at the "Big 4" from Region 2. No match between Spartanburg, Byrnes, Dorman, or Mauldin has been determined by more than 1 goal. Amazing! I think these four rival the "Big Three" of long ago when West Ashley, Wando, and James Island terrorized the lower state.

Coach Young #100901 04/29/08 07:39 PM
world cup
world cup
Although Summerville was not in the same region, they were the fouth member of the "Lowerstate Big 4" back then.

Hurst66 #100902 04/30/08 02:52 AM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Such great fun playing all four of them...but I wouldn't trade the experience.

Coach Chass #100903 05/06/08 11:18 AM
brace
brace
OK. How many teams can say that they lost 9 games, and EVERY SINGLE TEAM THAT BEAT THEM:

1. Is ranked in the top 15 in their class.
2. Won in the first round of the playoffs.
.....Riverside 10-0
.....J.L. Mann 5-0
.....Eastside 8-0
.....Wade Hampton 3-1
.....North Augusta 2-1
.....Blythewood in playoffs 2-0
3. Has an exceptional chance to win in the second round except for Riverside/Eastside who play each other.

Good job, Blue Ridge Lady Tigers!

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Quote:

OK. How many teams can say that they lost 9 games, and EVERY SINGLE TEAM THAT BEAT THEM:

We can and we actually beat a few ranked teams. You all are ranked and we are not. You all did not even beat a ranked opponent. Also, we have a better goal differential... ...just saying. Interesting. Don't get me wrong-great job with your program. I think I made the god's of scsoccer mad with forfeiting to Airport. I did the best thing for my group and the time frame. I am sorry scsoccer, I throw myself on the mercy of the forum. See ya'll in club.

Meredith #100905 05/06/08 05:30 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I can say we lost 9 games...does that count?

Meredith #100906 05/06/08 05:41 PM
goal
goal
Quote:

I think I made the god's of scsoccer mad with forfeiting to Airport. I did the best thing for my group and the time frame. I am sorry scsoccer, I throw myself on the mercy of the forum. See ya'll in club.

How does a team forfeit to another region team? That happened here in Greenville a couple of years ago and it cost those teams their entire seasons? What gives?

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
Always Right #100907 05/06/08 05:48 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

I think I made the god's of scsoccer mad with forfeiting to Airport. I did the best thing for my group and the time frame. I am sorry scsoccer, I throw myself on the mercy of the forum. See ya'll in club.

How does a team forfeit to another region team? That happened here in Greenville a couple of years ago and it cost those teams their entire seasons? What gives?

One athletic director calls the other athletic director and says, "There is no way we can make that trip. We don't have enough girls...blah, blah, blah. We will forfeit the game to you"

I do think there is some kind of stipulation regarding goal differential not being used if it causes the teams to split and a tiebreaker is needed. At least that is what I heard.

Personally, I think it is disgraceful. These kids are limited to a certain number of games and if one or more of those is taken away because a coach doesn't want his or her team to be subjected to getting beat, it is bad for the game.

Coach Chass #100908 05/06/08 06:33 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

I can say we lost 9 games...does that count?

Does when you say it. You didn't lose, you just ran out of time.

Meredith #100909 05/06/08 06:39 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

We can and we actually beat a few ranked teams. You all are ranked and we are not. You all did not even beat a ranked opponent. Also, we have a better goal differential... ...just saying. Interesting. Don't get me wrong-great job with your program. I think I made the god's of scsoccer mad with forfeiting to Airport. I did the best thing for my group and the time frame. I am sorry scsoccer, I throw myself on the mercy of the forum. See ya'll in club.

Pardon me, mam. I do not see any ranked teams on your schedule that you beat. I can read. Maybe I am missing something on the scsoccer.com schedule. If so, I am sorry.

PS: We didn't forfeit to Riverside, Eastside, Mann, Wade Hampton, North Augusta or Blythewood because we don't do that. We play. Maybe that's why we are ranked.

We are as beat up as anybody, play four freshman and five sophomores, etc. No excuses. And we aren't rich either. We have one of the poorest pupil populations in Greenville County. When I brought a bag of 8 pairs of old shoes to the first practice, 6 of them became the game shoes for 6 of our kids.

We aren't asking for anything, but we earned what we have gotten.

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 05/06/08 06:40 PM.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Nice comment..Retired old and happy

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Look closer Barnwell, Wade-hamtpton, Academic Magnet ring a bell? You probably should have forfeited to Riverside. Just kidding, we did not wimp out and not play Airport. The original game on 4/28 was called (inclement weather) At their place, I did not call it. They had a game on tuesday, I wanted to play wednesday, they gave the option of thursday and friday, 1/2 my girls had SAT prep courses after school on those days and not to mention already short-handed with the injury bug. I took the humble route and said,"I would forfeit to you." Airport was okay with it-no brainer. The game had no baring effect on region finishes. I think Morris is a class act, but a fierce competitor as well. ROH, I think you can be proud of your girls. However, I am also proud of mine, in only fours as a program. I just think we deserve it tad more. By the way, I am a male dadburnit. Well, I otta whip your candy-a%#... OOOO I am sorry, I almost forgot, I am from Ohio. Maybe we can have some tea and discuss our discord.

Last edited by Meredith; 05/06/08 07:04 PM.
Meredith #100912 05/06/08 07:33 PM
brace
brace
My mamma would have sent a boy named Meredith out of the country. You would have been very tough if you had survived where I grew up with a name like that.

Are you AA? If so , I apologize. I thought you guys were AAA.

You guys did well, no question. Hard for them to be proud with a man leading with a woman's name. Come on. How scared can I be when you threaten to "whip your candy..."? With what? A purse?

brace
brace
OK, you dropped in class and beat a AA ranked school. We played UP in class and lost to North Augusta early in the year. There is a little difference.

Your comment about Riverside. You can ride in my car after you schedule them. Put up or shut up. We play them twice every year.

Goal
Goal
Can you imagine ole Jay Frye at RNE calling Kurt Burnette at Airport and say, "hey we're a little banged up at QB and WR this week, so let's just call off our game Friday night". This would never happen in football, so why should soccer be so different? This kind of stuff is what gives soccer a 'wimpy' reputation and a black eye.

As the ole ball coach would say, "It's sad"!

Victory Starts Here!
202677 #100915 05/06/08 07:58 PM
brace
brace
What if he changed his name to "Ethel" before he called?

Meredith #100916 05/06/08 08:01 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
OK, boys(?)...

I think we can all be proud of what our teams have done without saying anyone "deserves" to be any prouder than anyone else...

Coach Chass #100917 05/06/08 08:04 PM
brace
brace
Amen, brother.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

Does when you say it. You didn't lose, you just ran out of time.

Yeah, I hate that whole time factor...we'd still be right there slugging it out...but then, we didn't run out of time. We're just on pause for a few months.

Meredith #100919 05/06/08 08:07 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Look closer Barnwell, Wade-hamtpton, Academic Magnet ring a bell? You probably should have forfeited to Riverside. Just kidding, we did not wimp out and not play Airport. The original game on 4/28 was called (inclement weather) At their place, I did not call it. They had a game on tuesday, I wanted to play wednesday, they gave the option of thursday and friday, 1/2 my girls had SAT prep courses after school on those days and not to mention already short-handed with the injury bug. I took the humble route and said,"I would forfeit to you." Airport was okay with it-no brainer. The game had no baring effect on region finishes. I think Morris is a class act, but a fierce competitor as well. ROH, I think you can be proud of your girls. However, I am also proud of mine, in only fours as a program. I just think we deserve it tad more. By the way, I am a male dadburnit. Well, I otta whip your candy-a%#... OOOO I am sorry, I almost forgot, I am from Ohio. Maybe we can have some tea and discuss our discord.

I have checked with the sand soccer wizards (remaining anonymous to avoid being assigned stuff to do), and it is possible that you can be invited to our "Seminar" at Edisto. No discord, brother. Just don't have anything else to do but yap. Thank you Blythewood!

Coach Chass #100920 05/06/08 08:09 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

OK, boys(?)...

I think we can all be proud of what our teams have done without saying anyone "deserves" to be any prouder than anyone else...

My "boys" have already had "boys". They all got guys' names too!

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
What, no Milliscent in there anywhere?

Coach Chass #100922 05/06/08 09:07 PM
brace
brace
Thomas, Nate, real male stuff. No Delilahs.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
So have we successfully jacked this thread yet, or what?

Coach Chass #100924 05/06/08 09:45 PM
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
It is my last name. Like a name your generation is familiar with - Don Meredith. What is your name? Doesn't really matter, I think you have already died and someone forgot to tell you. Retired, old, and no life. Shouldn't you be pushing some shuffle board.

Last edited by Meredith; 05/06/08 09:45 PM.
Meredith #100925 05/06/08 09:50 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Easy, there, Ohio...someone might start thinking you're being serious, which would just be...well, seriously silly.

Meredith #100926 05/06/08 09:50 PM
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I just joking of course... before anyone else jumps on me.

Meredith #100927 05/06/08 09:55 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
You're in the South, now, brother...we throw a smiley in when we call each other names!

202677 #100928 05/06/08 10:53 PM
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I imagine Ole Jaye Frye had a few more than eight available to play! My father in law is Doug Bennett "the Great". I have a state championship to my name too. So don't start lecturing there bud.

Meredith #100929 05/07/08 01:11 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Swansea won a state championship? I must have been on my honeymoon or out of the country!

Coach Young #100930 05/07/08 01:13 AM
S
throw in
throw in
S
Football

sancho
sancho #100931 05/07/08 01:14 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
The head girls coach is the head football coach? They do it much different in the midlands than the sandhills

Coach Young #100932 05/07/08 01:18 AM
S
throw in
throw in
S
Swansea,s middle school is called Sandhills.

sancho
sancho #100933 05/07/08 01:20 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
So is the entire geographic region where the Atlantic used to reside.

Coach Young #100934 05/07/08 01:26 AM
S
throw in
throw in
S
fluffy has a big sand box to play in.I just bought a new set of michelin,s would fluffy like to play.

sancho
sancho #100935 05/07/08 01:33 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Either you are the dumbest poster ever to grace the boards, or you are so far above all of us that we may only pray to catch up to your intellect one day. Which is it?

brace
brace
Post deleted by Retired, Old, and Happy

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 05/07/08 01:43 AM.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
...and he doesn't need excuses. He lives and dies by his players.

Coach Young #100938 05/07/08 01:47 AM
brace
brace
And my friends.

Coach Young #100939 05/07/08 02:43 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

...and he doesn't need excuses. He lives and dies by his players.

you mean like:

...we are in a poor district
...the goal was offsides
...it wasn't a penalty it was a dive
...we had a three hour bus trip
...it was hot
...my girls had ap exams
...some of the players were sick

did I miss any?

world cup
world cup
I think you forgot the violin and the baby.

Hurst66 #100941 05/07/08 03:08 AM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Boy, did this thread ever take a turn...

Coach Chass #100942 05/07/08 03:12 AM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
...think we've had an attack of "Topper."

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
You also missed I live in a van down by the river. However, if you need a motivational speaker I'm your man.
Good luck SCISA sports Fan

Meredith #100944 05/07/08 11:42 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
One of the greatest SNL skits ever.

Meredith #100945 05/07/08 01:25 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
thank you.

by the way, how did you do against SCISA this year?

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
3-1 over HH

Coach Young #100947 05/07/08 02:32 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
'AAAA'
In the name to cause some controversy on the site I classify Regions 1,3,6 & 8 as the weaker regions. And in contrast Regions 2,4,5 & 7 the stronger regions!

T.L. HANNA (09) Region 1 # 1
FORT MILL (04) Region 3 # 1
SUMMERVILLE (11) Region 8 # 1
WEST FLORENCE Region 6 # 1

DORMAN (02) Region 2 # 1
MAULDIN (05) Region 2 # 2
SPARTANBURG (10) Region 2 # 3

LEXINGTON (03) Region 4 # 1
N. AUGUSTA (14) Region 4 # 2
S. AIKEN (12) Region 4 # 3

DUTCH FORK (07) Region 5 # 1
SPRING VALLEY (08) Region 5 # 2
RIDGEVIEW Region 5 # 3

WANDO (01) Region 7 # 1
JAMES ISLAND (15) Region 7 # 2
STRATFORD Region 7 # 3

SV-Dad #100948 05/07/08 02:50 PM
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
We beat Hilton Head Christian in a Scrimmage
Lost to Hilton Head prep 2-1 in PK's

M
throw in
throw in
M
Common Opponents:
Lugoff Elgin
Blue Ridge beat 3-0
Swansea beat 11-0 (was a scrimmage)

Wins over teams with a winning record:
0 for both teams

Quality wins:
Blue Ridge--Travelers Rest 3A (scrimmage)
Swansea--Wade hampton H (#10 2A), Barnwell (#8 2A), Academic Magnet (#4 2A)

Quality Losses:
Blue Ridge:
NA (0-5), Eastside (0-3, 1-2), WH-G (0-4, 0-1), Riverside (0-3, 0-9), JL Mann (0-4, 1-4), Blythewood (0-2)
Swansea:
BC (0-2, 1-4), Chapin (0-1, 0-2), Airport (0-2, Forfeit), Christ Church (0-1), Hilton Head Prep (1-2), Hilton Head (1-7)

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
You could also throw in
Swansea opponent win-loss 117-86-1
Blue Ridge opponent win-loss 107-110-1

I really don't care, we are still having to watch at home. I clearly did not prepare my ladies as well as I needed too. But my uncle, who coached over 30 years, told me, "if you lose, lose big, then you know there was nothing you could have done as a coach." "It is just a difference in talent"-I still feel we should have played better. Anyways, watch out for Blue Ridge and Swansea next year! That does sound kind of corny doesn't it

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I finally hit 100 posts. How lame, it took me three years to do it! It only took Jr. a week

L
Goal
Goal
L
Quote:

I finally hit 100 posts. How lame, it took me three years to do it! It only took Jr. a week

1/2 a day.

world cup
world cup
4A teams in the "Great 8":

1 Wando
2 Dorman
4 Fort Mill
5 Mauldin
9 TL Hanna
11 Summerville
15 James Island
NR Ridge View

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

1/2 a day.

It was on a Saturday to be fair

brace
brace
Quote:

1. Is ranked in the top 15 in their class.
2. Won in the first round of the playoffs.
.....Riverside 10-0
.....J.L. Mann 5-0
.....Eastside 8-0
.....Wade Hampton 3-1
.....North Augusta 2-1
.....Blythewood in playoffs 2-0
3. Has an exceptional chance to win in the second round except for Riverside/Eastside who play each other.

Good job, Blue Ridge Lady Tigers!

Let's update, because this is "real" strength of schedule and includes everyone we lost to:

2nd Round of Playoffs:
Riverside - WON AGAIN
Eastside -only lost because they had to play Riverside 1-0
J.L. Mann - WON AGAIN
Wade Hampton - WON AGAIN (This is the AAA Wade Hampton that beat us 1-0 with 32 seconds left; not the AA WH)
Blythewood - WON AGAIN
North Augusta - outshot Fort Mill and lost

I don't need to explain our strength of schedule. We beat everyone else.

I won't pray to get ranked. Meredith (Allan) - go ahead.

The rankers will rank who they think are the best. If Blue Ridge is in that, and I believe we should be, then so be it. I believe every team in the list that we lost to will be a top 10 team after playoffs, not just "ranked". Several of the teams that we beat also made the playoffs (Broome - 2nd round, Greenville Tech Charter). The rankings will be what the rankers say they are.

brace
brace
Quote:

You could also throw in
Swansea opponent win-loss 117-86-1
Blue Ridge opponent win-loss 107-110-1

I really don't care, we are still having to watch at home. I clearly did not prepare my ladies as well as I needed too. But my uncle, who coached over 30 years, told me, "if you lose, lose big, then you know there was nothing you could have done as a coach." "It is just a difference in talent"-I still feel we should have played better. Anyways, watch out for Blue Ridge and Swansea next year! That does sound kind of corny doesn't it

WOW! There's a world class comparison:

1. We really don't count scrimmages. Come on.
2. Your (a) math and (b) reading accuracy might be in question: Our opponents record is 113-113-1. Let's try to use facts, and not just the ones that are convenient or maybe not even accurate.

Add this one: Other than North Augusta (ranked AAAA, not AA) who lost to a great FM team even though they outshot them, and Eastside who lost to Riverside, every team we lost to IS STILL IN THE PLAYOFFS AFTER THE SECOND ROUND. Maybe capital letters are easier to read. I think that is true strength of schedule.

Add this too: How you finish is how you finish. We lost 2-0, and I believe you lost 7-1.

Leave it to the rankers.

brace
brace
And, to your "old" and "no life" comment:

I'll be playing in a golf tournament today so won't be on the forum, and tomorrow my grandson and I are going to Krispy Kreme like we do every Friday at 8:00 am, then to the airport, then the bike shop, and then we'll pick up my granddaughter from preschool and come out to our house and go swimming until my oldest daughter and her husband come out for supper.

I'll be sure to show them your comment.

PS: What's shuffleboard?

brace
brace
Please eliminate the "ROH vs. Meredith" headline. Don't know who started that. That's demeaning to everyone on this forum. Meredith/Allan - agree?

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Please eliminate the "ROH vs. Meredith" headline. Don't know who started that. That's demeaning to everyone on this forum. Meredith/Allan - agree?

done

CJ #100960 05/08/08 12:27 PM
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Nice Try! When I posted that is what it was. Just like now my opponent w-l is 122-86-1. You all did not play Hilton head either (no offense to TK). But Hilton Head is loaded. When is your tee time? Can I come? (handycap +12) Love Golf!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Meredith, we are moving your way come next year. We will need to work together against the powers that be.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Is this kind of like when Darth Vader tries to convert Luke to the Dark side or more like Spaceballs? Could we just merge High schools and become Aiken South-Swansea Secondary Intermediate Vocational Apprentice School. Obviously, they could call us A#@ for short. Can you hear it now? Yep we have to play that soccer power A#@ team, or that is one Big A#@ team, or better yet, we got or tails cut by A#@. Just trying to keep it real!

Last edited by Meredith; 05/08/08 02:54 PM.
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
I'd take offense if anyone ever kicked our A-a-a-aah, you get the idea. Sold!

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
too funny

world cup
world cup
Sorry Rollie, couldn't resist.

brace
brace
Quote:

Sorry Rollie, couldn't resist.

Just the kids. I don't mind being bashed but it's better if you do it out of arm's reach.

world cup
world cup
Good job this season.....congratulations.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard