Print Thread
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

Totally different scenarios. [...]

Just to provide a statistical underpinning for this dialogue.

HHP has played two top-25 teams (Hilton Head [10] and Riverside [8].) Average goal differential was -2. Woodruff has played three top-25 teams (Riverside [8], TL Hanna [14], and Clover [22]) with an average goal differential of -2.3. Woodruff has scrimmaged 2 other top 25 teams.

Riverside has played 11 top-25 teams and has a record of 7-4 with an average goal differential of +0.9.

Shibumi #100857 04/28/08 10:37 PM
brace
brace
Want to make this even more interesting in terms of inequity?

Riverside is a public school that happens to be in a county with open enrollment, meaning they potentially can draw from a huge county. Little ol' Woodruff is in a district without open enrollment, drawing from 1/7th of Spartanburg county. . .

While all the private schools can have student attend from any house anywhere on the entire planet!

Seems fair to compare all of them.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
cat's cradle #100858 04/28/08 10:52 PM
goal
goal
How will this thread compare in other sports(private vs public)? Will private schools have a larger number of children playing in club sports year round? I wonder what the average driving distance from a private school attendee to a club is verse the average public school attendee to a club (soccer)

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
cat's cradle #100859 04/28/08 11:28 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>>[cat's cradle] Woodruff has faired well against many private schools (even SCISA schools) over the past five or so years.<<

>>[Papa Hatfield] Try Woodruff, you will not like it. They can play with almost anyone.<<

>>[SCISA sports fan] It is also the same team that the Riverside coach was quoted as saying would compete for the AAA state title after the two played in the first round of B-C<<

>>[Papa Hatfield] Like I told him play Woodruff, my money goes on the Wolverines, day in and day out. AA,AAA or AAAA They bring it every night.

>>[cat's cradle] Seems fair to compare all of them.<<

I (pause) guess (pause)...

I'll have to admit that I don't the point that is trying to be made in a lot of these postings.

It seems to me that if a program wants to claim it can play with anyone, the right way to do it is to go out and create a schedule that will prove it.

There's always a reason why programs can't be compared. Many of these reasons are incredibly valid...whether it's open enrollment, private versus public, socioeconomic location, club strength in an area, etc. The best way to deal with this would seem to me to be fairly simple -- don't compare the programs except for the division in which they choose to play and/or based on the actual results of the teams against whom they play.

scwame #100860 04/28/08 11:42 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Don't kid yourself - I highly doubt there are any girl's high school soccer scholarships in South Carolinia - a southern state where football rules.

Don't kid YOURself. While I'm not sure about regulations regarding private schools that compete in the High School League, I can assure you that there are private schools in SC that offer tuition scholarships to girls' soccer players, and they are not bound by recruiting restrictions like public SCHSL schools are.

I've got good news and bad news...
Shibumi #100861 04/28/08 11:58 PM
brace
brace
Nice conflagration of the posting. . but I wasn't making a case about Woodruff. . .but I was making a much-repeated case about private being allowed to compete with public. . .and a fairly unfair comment about AA/A but a private supporter. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
Coach Chass #100862 04/29/08 01:06 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

Don't kid yourself - I highly doubt there are any girl's high school soccer scholarships in South Carolinia - a southern state where football rules.

Don't kid YOURself. While I'm not sure about regulations regarding private schools that compete in the High School League, I can assure you that there are private schools in SC that offer tuition scholarships to girls' soccer players, and they are not bound by recruiting restrictions like public SCHSL schools are.

How can you assure me of that?

SCISA strictly forbids recruiting for athletic purposes the same as SCHSL does. There is not a single school in SCISA that offers athletic scholarships of any kind. It is strictly forbidden and contrary to popular belief, it is VERY strictly monitored. The SCISA schools are absolutely allowed to give out "Need-based" financial aid.

Private school tuition is just like college tuition. When my university gave me a track scholarship that covered the cost of my tuition, the athletic department had to write the university a check for the cost of my tuition every year. It is the same way at SCISA schools. VERY FEW kids in SCISA as a whole go to school for free. The school can't afford it. The school has to have the money to cover that financial aid. For example, at Porter Gaud, the school has to have over $20,000 per year for every student that is on a "full-ride" in it's coffers. There is no school in SCISA that can absorb that kind of hit financially.

There are just as many athletes moving from public school to public school to play on better teams and for better coaches as there are SCISA athletes.

I think that is absolutely how it should be. If a coach has built a successful program and kids want to be part of that for a myriad of reasons and can do it following the rules, I am all for it. If my kid was a football player and I had the means, I would absolutely make sure he was at Byrnes or Summerville or Gaffney.

cat's cradle #100863 04/29/08 01:11 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Nice conflagration of the posting. . but I wasn't making a case about Woodruff. . .but I was making a much-repeated case about private being allowed to compete with public. . .and a fairly unfair comment about AA/A but a private supporter. . .

I apologize for what you see as making an unfair comment about AA/A soccer. I do believe that AA/A is fairly weak this year and if that makes you uncomfortable, I apologize but this is a message board and is for posting one's opinions.

There are many years when the top teams in AA/A are very strong. I don't think this is one of them.

I saw Bishop England when they played Hilton Head High and I don't think they are as good as they have been in the past, because Hilton Head High is not as good as they have been in the past.

Hilton Head is very weak in the defensive backfield, but Bishop England really struggled against them when it had the ball in it's offensive third (which wasn't very often by the way).

C
Coach
Coach
C
*sigh* You got me. It doesn't happen. None of my players have ever been approached with offers from private schools because such things are strictly regulated and couldn't conceivably happen. I retract the statment and will chalk it all up to vicious rumor and overactive imagination.

I've got good news and bad news...
Shibumi #100865 04/29/08 01:26 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Quote:

I'll have to admit that I don't the point that is trying to be made in a lot of these postings.

Know?

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard