Shibumi #100866 04/29/08 01:28 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

Totally different scenarios. [...]

Just to provide a statistical underpinning for this dialogue.

HHP has played two top-25 teams (Hilton Head [10] and Riverside [8].) Average goal differential was -2. Woodruff has played three top-25 teams (Riverside [8], TL Hanna [14], and Clover [22]) with an average goal differential of -2.3. Woodruff has scrimmaged 2 other top 25 teams.

Riverside has played 11 top-25 teams and has a record of 7-4 with an average goal differential of +0.9.

This is tough to do because this website does not incorporate the rankings from teams outside of the state. Take a look at HHP's schedule again.

Other ranked teams they have played:

Westminster (GA) #7 Georgia All-class rankings
First Presbyterian (GA) #1 GISA (defending AAA state champs)
Stratford Academy (GA) #3 GISA
Libertyville (IL) #9 Illinois AAAA
Waukesha Catholic Memorial (WI) #1 Wisconsin Division 2 (defending Wisconsin all-classes tourny champion)

Coach Young #100867 04/29/08 01:29 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

I'll have to admit that I don't the point that is trying to be made in a lot of these postings.

Know?

I'd have gone with "understand."

I've got good news and bad news...
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Dale,

I was at both games.

Totally different scenarios. You have watched enough soccer to know that a 2-0 can be a complete domination while a 3-0 can be exactly the opposite.

Pinewood's game with AM was played in Pinewood's offensive third the whole night. AM had about 4 shots.

The game between Riverside and HHP was played in the middle 2/3's for the whole game with Riverside doing a much better job of finishing opportunities. I think Riverside was 3 for 9 on their shots, HHP was 0-12. Something along those lines.

BTW, I think Riverside is an amazing team and will beat either Airport or Hilton Head in the state finals.

I was at that tournament and I saw Riverside score on HH prep in about 15 seconds and put it into cruise control. Don't feel bad about that, they are a great team but they paced themselves in that game.

I tried to stay out of this argument, but I am pretty sure that I have the only ranked 4A team that has played or seen most of the schools in question. The only team I have not seen or played is Waccamaw. But they must be pretty good if they beat a BE team we only beat 1-0 and who beat Wando.

I must admit I am biased about one thing...I love Woodruff. I want to be very careful how I say this, but they are easy to like because they homegrow their talent in a small mostly rural area. Nobody else will say it but I will...most of the private schools have students with more than just a little money for club soccer and the best of just about everything. I get tired of soccer being an elitest sport. I know we have talked about this a lot before but schools like Woodruff and BC in 3A show that it doesn't have to be that way. As I understand it and CC can correct me if I am wrong, most of their girls play together in a Spartanburg rec league. Isn't that the way it should be in a perfect world? You may not like it but I respect a team that will bring it every time you play them and punch you in the mouth and take your best punch. I think I have forgotten the point I started to make, but there you go...

Woodruff/BE in the final and I want to see it.

Coach Chass #100869 04/29/08 01:35 AM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Like a dog chasing it's tail...

Coach Chass #100870 04/29/08 01:36 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

*sigh* You got me. It doesn't happen. None of my players have ever been approached with offers from private schools because such things are strictly regulated and couldn't conceivably happen. I retract the statment and will chalk it all up to vicious rumor and overactive imagination.

Coach,

I am not saying that it doesn't happen. I am saying it doesn't happen anymore than it happens at SCHSL schools. Your post said that private schools are allowed to recruit and that is just not the case. They are no more allowed than SCHSL schools are. The rules forbidding it are very plain. They are posted here:

http://scisa.org/athletics/bluebook/

I would say to you that if you ever have ANY proof that a person from an athletic department at any SCISA member school approaches any of your athletes, you should call Mike Fanning (SCISA Athletic Director) and report it immediately. He can do nothing to help stop it if it never gets reported to him. You can get his contact information at www.SCISA.ORG

brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

Nice conflagration of the posting. . but I wasn't making a case about Woodruff. . .but I was making a much-repeated case about private being allowed to compete with public. . .and a fairly unfair comment about AA/A but a private supporter. . .

I apologize for what you see as making an unfair comment about AA/A soccer. I do believe that AA/A is fairly weak this year and if that makes you uncomfortable, I apologize but this is a message board and is for posting one's opinions.

There are many years when the top teams in AA/A are very strong. I don't think this is one of them.

I saw Bishop England when they played Hilton Head High and I don't think they are as good as they have been in the past, because Hilton Head High is not as good as they have been in the past.

Hilton Head is very weak in the defensive backfield, but Bishop England really struggled against them when it had the ball in it's offensive third (which wasn't very often by the way).

Not upset—making a commentary about the strength of AA/A is fine—making it based on an unfair association is another. I wasn't disagreeing or being upset. But I do think basing the assessment on a comparison with SCISA is apples to oranges. Period.

Feel free to state opinions. Quite enjoyed. Got to throw out "conflagration."

Last edited by cat's cradle; 04/29/08 02:02 AM.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
C
Coach
Coach
C
I stand corrected on the recruitment policies. I think the argument about private schools being able to draw students, by whatever means, from a wide area has already been discussed quite thoroughly and I don't really want to step into that. There are people who follow the rules and people who bend them on both sides of the fence.

As for reporting anyone, I haven't to my knowledge been harmed by any of these issues and have no desire to harm anyone else. Enough said about that.

I've got good news and bad news...
Coach Chass #100873 04/29/08 11:10 AM
corner kick
corner kick
So when is HHP going to step out of the SCISA umbrella and compete for the SCHSL title? I am not disagreeing with you or saying they can't compete...I believe they can, so it would be nice to see that happen. Rumor was that St. Joe's was heading that way. Not sure if they still are.
Would HHP be A or AA if they did that? If several SCISA teams who would be classified as A did move over, there might actually be a separate A title game because there would be enough teams to have one. I would love to see this happen.

Fletch: It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.
world cup
world cup
Quote:

Quote:

Hilton Head is very weak in the defensive backfield, but Bishop England really struggled against them when it had the ball in it's offensive third (which wasn't very often by the way).

Ouch! I have Hilton Head winning the state 3A title!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #100875 04/29/08 11:19 AM
brace
brace
Hurst, when and who does Fort Mill play in the playoffs?

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard