Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
world cup
world cup
I'm pretty sure we get Byrnes.

The fact that they scored two goals against Mauldin last night scares the hell out of me!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #100877 04/29/08 11:53 AM
brace
brace
Yikes. I bet Byrnes is saying the same thing,

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
cat's cradle #100878 04/29/08 12:05 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

Nice conflagration of the posting. . but I wasn't making a case about Woodruff. . .but I was making a much-repeated case about private being allowed to compete with public. . .and a fairly unfair comment about AA/A but a private supporter. . .

Conflagration? This was the highlight of my morning; I spent time trying to find a basis for your usage in this context. I absolutely failed and thus decided it was meant less literally than symbolically (see below) -- and even so and I want you to know that my respect for you is such that I am the one who feels that I'm missing something (no sarcasm here -- absolute sincerity.)

Next...to my inadvertent dropping of a word in my post as noted by the other literary intelligentsia of this board -- whether it was "know", "understand", "comprehend" -- we'll never know, understand, or comprehend -- because my short-term memory is steaming pile of wrecked and disconnected semantically empty memes and I just can't remember what the heck word I was going to use.

Cat's Cradle -- the context for my posting was a reply to a SCISA fan, to which you replied, to which I replied. That's the reason for the dung-heap of a mash-up posting I made in which I made a quixotic attempt to reconcile why I had made my posting in the first place -- to which a conflagration of posts then occurred.

A couple of notes on this whole affair. First, there's a spreading round of fascinating posts regarding whether and how certain classifications, regions, and schools compare. It appears to be to be a relatively nihilistic exercise with the appropriate solution being scheduling -- but I was classically trained as an engineer and not a philosopher and thus the messiness of open-ended solutions has never appealed to me. That was really what I was responding to -- nothing else.

Again -- conflagration -- great term for the flaming posts that are all too often seen brightly burning but producing little in the way of constructive heat and light -- at least as it applies to my efforts!

Shibumi #100879 04/29/08 12:11 PM
brace
brace
Not to be picky, and I did like "conflagration" but in my past life I was an English teacher....

The actual Larry-the-Cable-Guy word is "conflab" which means, in redneck, to "babble incessantly" which means, in normal, "to talk or otherwise communicate with uttered sounds which mean nothing but to some people are considered communication because of their perpetual inability to comprehend anything."

I will have to think whether or not you can take the verb "conflab" (or is it a noun, probably....verb would actually be "to conflab") and change it into "conflabation"? Don't think so. Might be able to use it at a NASCAR race, but probably not a soccer game, especially girls...

brace
brace
"Conflagration" is literally about a big fire; the great heaping together of little fires to make one big fire by Shibumi was my intent. See the literary foundation for the usage, especially by Twain. Here:

The naturalist stood, tablets in hand, looking at the awful spectacle with as much composure as if the conflagration had been lighted in order to solve the difficulties of some scientific problem.
The Prairie by Cooper, James Fenimore

The spark - a feeble spark, first principle of conflagration - shone in the darkness like a glow-worm, then was deadened against the match which it set fire to, Porthos enlivening the flame with his breath.
The Man in the Iron Mask by Dumas, Alexandre

She had caught sight of her new Sunday gown-- a cheap curtain-calico thing, a conflagration of gaudy colors and fantastic figures.
Pudd'n'head Wilson by Twain, Mark

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
cat's cradle #100881 04/29/08 12:43 PM
brace
brace
Hey, cat's:

If you pulled that out of your hat without "search" or a book, you are one smart dude.....

Otherwise, that still is a great explanation of "conflag" and it's derivations.

Did anyone search "conflab"? Throw it in with Jeff Foxworthy and see what you get.

brace
brace
Or one smart dudette. Sorry.

S
coach
coach
S
cat's cradle is one smart dude -- if he pulled it out of a book, it was probably one of the books he's written...

Shibumi #100884 04/29/08 12:54 PM
world cup
world cup
He didn't pull it out of a book......he recited it from memory.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Shibumi #100885 04/29/08 12:58 PM
brace
brace
I am a male. (I do think another "cat" moniker is on the board who is female, though.)

I am also incurably full of crap—and full of useless information. Because I have read and do read way too much.

"Conflagration" was already in my vocabulary (sorry, I know too many words), but the examples were in a source—not my head. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard