Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
We are so fortunate here in the lowcountry to have FIVE soccer clubs within a 30 mile radius offering tryout opportunities.

I know we had people working really hard to provide a place to combine the challenge level players and we have clubs making changes/additions that they believe to be best.

Thanks for what you've done, and keep plugging at it.

I hope everyone that commits to a team actually has a team with enough players at the end of the day.

A
throw in
throw in
A
4Lowcountry...good point about having enough players to field a team. It has been a problem at some clubs. Barely enough to field a team. Especially at the 11 v 11 level.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I imagine if one lowcountry club managed to be universally considered as the best option for everyone, then the players would naturally gather at that one club. Until then, people will continue to go where they think they can get the best bang for their buck.

If you want to gather the best all in one place, the way to do it is by BEING the best...not by asking the competition to fold for convenience. Gather players by being their best choice, not by removing their other choices.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Thank you..Coach Chass

kick off
OP Offline
kick off
Quote:

I imagine if one lowcountry club managed to be universally considered as the best option for everyone, then the players would naturally gather at that one club. Until then, people will continue to go where they think they can get the best bang for their buck.

If you want to gather the best all in one place, the way to do it is by BEING the best...not by asking the competition to fold for convenience. Gather players by being their best choice, not by removing their other choices.

I am addressing the situation of the U13 and above challenge level player. No one said all five clubs were not good. No one has asked any club to fold and especially not for convenience. We're asking them to work together for the good of the challenge level player.

Challenge players are looking for a very competitive place to play with other skilled, committed players. We do not care which club name it is fielded under. The players make the team, not the club. We simply do not have enough players in the lowcountry for five clubs to field challenge teams. The individual clubs who have the knowledge of higher level soccer are very much aware of the diluted player pool and are trying to remedy the situation.

Every parent and player is aware of the pull from ALL these clubs as we are about to go into the tryout process. They all want a commitment from the same players.

The clubs have done a good job of not overlapping the tryouts dates. I ask that they go a step further and not press players for commitments if they do not have the #'s to field a team.

The bang I want for my buck....playing with other players who have a high skill level and are committed to soccer, not club names.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

The bang I want for my buck....playing with other players who have a high skill level and are committed to soccer, not club names.

That has got to be one of the most sensible things I've read on this board in some time.

I've got good news and bad news...
corner kick
corner kick
This may be a dumb question, but hey, my brain's fried and my final is in a week, so I blame that.

The Lowcountry has always had multiple clubs offering classic/challenge level teams. It used to be Hungryneck, SSC, and JIYSC, then for the girls came Carolina Girls as well. For a long time it was Hungryneck that dominated as The Club for championships and consistent quality, with several exceptional teams scattered amongst the other clubs as well, most notably Andy Grist's Fusion.

What exactly, if any, was the point where everything fractured into bare minimum team rosters and split talents? Was it when Hungryneck became MPSC? When Bridge showed up and tried to recruit away from everyone else? Was it just a fluke of quality in age groups that turned people to other clubs? Or quality in leadership? Or just people moving away from Mount Pleasant and choosing other, more available clubs?

Not that it solves everything, but we obviously had the opportunity for similar divisiveness before. Perhaps there's some evidence in the change that could somehow be used later on if anyone is ever capable of eliminating the divisiveness that causes such minimum roster teams and petty off-field rivalries.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
F
goal kick
goal kick
F
I think Trident United would argue that HungryNeck was not always the most dominant club in the Lowcountry. The activity between the clubs is pretty cyclical. The same worries and arguements have been happening since I was playing in the early - mid 1990s. The players seem to hold together as a team at whichever club to various level of success. There still hasn't been one CLUB that has been able to create an environment to nuture teams of all ages, gender, and levels.

Link Copied to Clipboard