Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#103062 05/05/08 03:08 PM
G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
The SCISA All-State Team is below. Congratulations to all.

Mary Bond Bailey - Heathwood Hall
Alexa Barnes - Cardinal Newman
Amanda Belcher - Spartanburg Christian
Kathleen Blum - Hilton Head Prep
Casey Bolduc - Oakbrook Prep
Caroline Cain - Greenwood Christian
Catherine Calloway - Hilton Head Prep
Brittney Chisolm - Hilton Head Christian
Jessica Day - Hilton Head Christian
Alexandra Fuller - Hilton Head Prep
Sarah Halpern - Ashley Hall
Whitney Jordan - Pinewood Prep
Gabby Lutz - St. Joseph's Catholic
Alex Kieth - Porter-Gaud
Chelsea Mixson - Beaufort Academy
Lexie Pearl - Northwood Academy
Meritt Rollins - Ben Lippen
Carrie Settle - Ben Lippen
Kimrey Angoti-Smith - Pinewood Prep
Alexis Spearman - Beaufort Academy
Sarah Specter - Hammond School
Stephanie Squirewell - Heathwood Hall
Erin Welsh - Thomas Sumter
Mallory Woodhead - Porter-Gaud
Emily Zankman - St. Joseph's Catholic

Coach of the Year - Gail Osborne - Pinewood Prep
Player of the Year - Alexandra Fuller - Hilton Head Prep

World Cup
World Cup

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Congratulations to all the athletes that were selected. It is a great honor.

To the athletes that should have been selected and weren't, use the snub as motivation as you move forward in your athletic careers wherever that should be.

At some point, the system needs to be audited so that these kinds of inconsistencies don't keep happening every year.

Last edited by SCISA sports fan; 05/05/08 06:52 PM.
World Cup
World Cup
Enter sour grapes

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
no sour grapes Dale.

I have no pony in the race.

The way the team is picked is the problem. It's been a problem in just about all of the sports.

World Cup
World Cup
Of course.

25 on the All-State team makes us public schools jealous

goal kick
goal kick
SCISA sports fan, do you know how the team is picked? I don't, and I'd like to as a coach who DOES have a pony in the race, so to speak. All I know is, the All-State team was released before our All-Region team was even released. I'm not sure how that is supposed to work. Also, do you have any information on the North/South All-Star game that's supposed to be at OP on May 17? I haven't heard anything about that either, except what's on the SCISA website. Who picks those teams and when? Any info you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

World Cup
World Cup
I don't understand how it's all bull, but you don't have a pony in the race, but all we hear about is HHP.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

yes. It is posted. And it is just as much a farce today as it was on Saturday.

But, congratulations to the kids that did make it.

Sooo...now we're congratulating kids for being part of a farce?

These young people have every right to be proud of themselves; it would be nice if adults didn't make public comments to belittle their recognition. Concerns about the methodology could be discussed in a more private arena.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Of course.

25 on the All-State team makes us public schools jealous

It's not much different than the number of public school all-state kids. SCISA just does not break them up into the different classes.

All of the AAA, AA and A are put together.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
That's probably a bit of the truth. But, if you ask Coach Brown who I have had different conversations with, I am a VERY big fan of Pinewood Prep's soccer team this year. Probably my biggest argument against this team is that the younger Angotti-Smith kid did not make the team and she was one of the top two or three leading scorers in SCISA. She and her older sister transferred to Pinewood from Wando and instantly made that team a state title contender.

I talk about HHP the most because they have continually been the class of SCISA soccer.

When I try and make SCISA versus SCHSL comparisons, or talk about scheduling, I use HHP as the example because they support my arguments the best. I would tend to believe that people have always tried to use the same basic premises in making cogent aruguments.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

yes. It is posted. And it is just as much a farce today as it was on Saturday.

But, congratulations to the kids that did make it.

Sooo...now we're congratulating kids for being part of a farce?

These young people have every right to be proud of themselves; it would be nice if adults didn't make public comments to belittle their recognition. Concerns about the methodology could be discussed in a more private arena.

I guess on this we will have to disagree. The only way that I see to try and affect some kind of change is to publicly call for it. Private forums allow decision makers the ability to keep their reasons for decisions private.

I do agree that the kids that made the team have the right to be proud of themselves. But Coach Brown is correct, there are kids on the all-state team that did not make either of the all-region teams.

Probably more to the point that the process is flawed, there are players on the All-State team that were not even starters on their own team.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Also, here is the SCISA CLASS AAA – REGION II (Upstate/including Augusta Christian)) ALL-REGION TEAM that Coach Brown mentioned:

Player of the Year - Meritt Rollins, Ben Lippen
Goal Keeper of the Year - Amy Kolowsky, Cardinal Newman
Coach of the Year - Shannon Herman, St. Joseph’s

Stephanie Squirewell, Heathwood Hall, F/M, 12th
Mary Bond Bailey, Heathwood Hall, F, 10th
Gabby Lutz, St. Joseph’s, D, 12th
Meritt Rollins, Ben Lippen, M, 12th
Carrie Settle, Ben Lippen, F, 11th
Alexa Barnes, Cardinal Newman, D, 9th
Emily Zankman, St. Joseph’s, M/F, 11th
Sarah Spector, Hammond, F, 8th
Katie Winebarger, St. Joseph’s, F, 10th
Sammi Osman, Ben Lippen, M, 11th
Ali Hymson, Hammond, D, 12th
Alex Metropol, Hammond, F/M, 12th

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Probably more to the point that the process is flawed, there are players on the All-State team that were not even starters on their own team.

I'll take your word for that one, and we're left to wonder sometimes about the rationale behind selections. Raising objective questions is perfectly legitimate; congratulating young people in the same breath that you call their selection a "farce" is something else. Sometimes it's not so much what you say as how you say it.

World Cup
World Cup
As far as I know, there is a 4A, 3A, and 2/1A All-State team. How is that the same? Each is given 18 selections. I could have miscalculated. Can anyone correct me?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Raising objective questions is perfectly legitimate; congratulating young people in the same breath that you call their selection a "farce" is something else. Sometimes it's not so much what you say as how you say it.

You are absolutely right about that. I should have been more cognizant of how I was tying those things together. That was not my intent. I will try and edit the post to fix the mistake.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

Raising objective questions is perfectly legitimate; congratulating young people in the same breath that you call their selection a "farce" is something else. Sometimes it's not so much what you say as how you say it.

You are absolutely right about that. I should have been more cognizant of how I was tying those things together. That was not my intent. I will try and edit the post to fix the mistake.

(applause!) Well done! Tough to admit wrong. I was wrong about how I carried myself two years ago when I disagreed with All-State selections. Once I figured out how the game was played, my view changed.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

As far as I know, there is a 4A, 3A, and 2/1A All-State team. How is that the same? Each is given 18 selections. I could have miscalculated. Can anyone correct me?

My point was about the numbers themselves. Sometimes people see the total list and don't understand how there can be more SCISA all-state selections than SCHSL selsections. But they don't know that it is an all-classes list. It is not broken up into classifications. Maybe I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you were making a statement about there being more SCISA all-state selections than SCHSL all-state selections.

World Cup
World Cup
How many SCISA teams are there?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I am guessing here, but as close as I can figure, there are about 25 scisa schools that have girl's soccer teams.

Last edited by SCISA sports fan; 05/05/08 07:07 PM.
goal kick
goal kick
As far as I'm concerned, I simply have no idea how the process is done. I know I'm new at this and will have to learn, but it seems that the coaches should be filled in more on how the process works up front. I don't know if the SCHSL does a better job of informing coaches throughout the process or not, but at times I feel left out of the loop in things like this. I just hope that we can do a better job of communicating. As far as I'm concerned, most of the selections from our region were placed on the All-State team. Of course I may be slightly biased, but I can think of only one, a Ben Lippen girl, who I believe should have made the All-State team. However, I don't disagree with the process so much b/c I don't know how it works. I just want there to be better communication between the coaches and the regions.

World Cup
World Cup
It falls on the coaches to find out the procedure I learned, but this site is an excellent source to research these things as well as your AD. I assumed that it would "just happen" if I had a good player. 100% coaches responsibility means we have to go and get active and give our players the best possible chance at making it. With so many new coaches year in and year out, it's hard for the governing bodies to keep up. Get to know the AD, check the forums above "Girls Soccer", and that should cover things. You'll make it happen next year coach!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

And sometimes I'm a little quick to jump to the players' defense...I've been my own victim of speaking before I think about how things are going to be heard on more than one occasion. Sorry if I came off harsh!

goal kick
goal kick
Thanks for the advice. It's tough learning all the ropes. Hopefully as the seasons progress I'll get better at all this. Nothing just happens, you're right about that. I do appreciate the fact that these things get done, and hopefully I can do my part to make them successful. Best wishes to all in the playoffs!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard