Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29
L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Good coverage of the HH - Chapin match in the local paper.

http://www.islandpacket.com/sports/local/story/494568.html

Soccerpop is not giving the Chapin keeper enough credit, HH had many more than one or two good scoring opportunities that were thwarted by Ms. Neal. Pressure was applied by HH a great majority of the time, but she (and her defenders) stood up to it throughout the match.

I am not certain which stoppage Soccerpop was asking about. Iulo was kicked hard in the knee (not the one that she was wearing a brace on), and Fennessy had a busted lip when she was cut going after a high ball (they tended to her for a while to stop the bleeding, but she returned). Taylor was dizzy and light-headed, but it had nothing to do with any play on the field - she broke her nose in practice a few weeks ago and the concern was that she reinjured it, but it turned out to be nothing. All three players returned to play at some point in the match (and I believe all three were on the field at the final whistle).

Chapin is a well-coached, disciplined and hard-working team - by far the best at those three attributes that I have seen in a while. HH created many more opportunities to score, but that match could have easily gone either way. Chapin knew their strengths and played them very well - proof of good coaching and smart, disciplined, committed players. It was a pleasure watching them play and a shame that their season ended. I hope that they do not lose many seniors, because I would love to see them play again.

world cup
world cup
Congrats to Hilton Head. Looks like they were pushed to the limit by a hot goalkeeper and a fine team.

keep your head up chapin, you had a great season.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
N
corner kick
corner kick
N
RE: Hanna v Mauldin, from the perspective of the handful of Daniel parents and players that went to watch... we saw some great soccer, lots of drama, some bad calls, and some bad no-calls. But the highlight had to be CJ running down the sideline, jumping in the air, pumping his fists after Caitlin scored in the second half. It is a pleasure to watch a coach become a cheerleader, showing his spirit and support of his players (wish we had that).
A disappointing loss for the Lady Jackets, but as CJ said, with all that youth, they will be in contention for several more years.

C
Brace
Online Content
Brace
C
Quote:

Thanks Mr. Morris how is the young Lady Today.

Released from the hospital late last night/early AM. A pretty good concussion. She does not remember last night at all. I hope she still remembers the Calculus I taught her! Thanks for the inquiry.

Last edited by CoachMorris; 05/10/08 02:48 PM.
World Cup
World Cup
Morris teaching Calculus, Now that is a funny thought! You know you watch study hall kids like I do, don't lie

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
I will try and be brief, but I cannot resist making a few more comments about Chapin girls.

First, most teams that have to travel all the way down into our remote area of the state ask for an earlier start time so that they can get home before the sun rises. Our first clue that HH was in for a fight was when Chapin requested a later starting time so that several (and from what I saw, probably most) of their players could finish their AP exams before leaving for the match.

Second, I do not want to give the keeper too much credit and take away from the rest of the team, but she has skills that go well beyond her obvious size and athleticism. I tend to watch the defense more in any match and I never saw her out of position or misplay a ball. I believe that the local paper said that she was drawn out on the play that HH scored, but that was not the case. The cross from Sosa was high and perfectly placed just inside the far post (no more than a yard or two inside the goal line). Natoli had at least one defender inside of her that was inches from taking the cross and Natoli just got a little higher faster - not bad defense by either the keeper or the defender. The entire Chapin team (all 11 on the field) played outstanding defense throughout the match, but the keeper made some plays that went beyond size or athleticism. She was smart, quick and had a feel for the game that few players have. One of the HH parents usually tapes the matches and I am definitely going to see if I can get a copy of this one after the season.

Lastly, and a little off topic, I also had the opportunity to watch the keeper from Hammond play HH Prep earlier in the week. She too was simply outstanding. I guess that we have to give some credit to the coaching and training, but there must be something in the water in the midlands.

I have always had a great deal of respect for the teams out of the Columbia/Lexington/midlands area, but I am starting to get jealous of their fans. They obviously have far more fun during the season than we do way down here.

It is really not like me to gush, but sometimes I feel that something has to be said or it bugs me until it is off of my chest. Thanks for letting me rattle on.

world cup
world cup
Junior,

Study hall? I thought they only entrusted you with watching the kids in ISS?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
To lfc: Lastly, and a little off topic, I also had the opportunity to watch the keeper from Hammond play HH Prep earlier in the week. She too was simply outstanding.

Hammond girls did not play HHP until today.

That game ended HHP 2 - Hammond 1.
All scores came from kicks from fouls.
It was a very even match.
HHP takes state title.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

RE: Hanna v Mauldin, from the perspective of the handful of Daniel parents and players that went to watch... we saw some great soccer, lots of drama, some bad calls, and some bad no-calls. But the highlight had to be CJ running down the sideline, jumping in the air, pumping his fists after Caitlin scored in the second half. It is a pleasure to watch a coach become a cheerleader, showing his spirit and support of his players (wish we had that).
A disappointing loss for the Lady Jackets, but as CJ said, with all that youth, they will be in contention for several more years.

Thanks for coming NP, That was a great atmosphere last night.

sigh

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Junior,

Study hall? I thought they only entrusted you with watching the kids in ISS?

The blind leading the blind is frowned on severely by the school district.

Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard