Print Thread
Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Quote:

Hurst:

that Hilton Head pick looked pretty good last night. They were absolutely devestating against Swansea.

Your girl Stephanie Sosa had two goals and two assists.

The defense looked pretty good last night as the starters didn't give up a single shot. By the time Swanswea had taken their first shot HH was leading 7-0. Swanswea finished with three total shots.

This should probably be in another thread, but...
I have to say HH was good. In my girls' defense, we wanted to be physical and the refs called it very tight (one way). Not to mention, the second goal was offsides by a mile, the camera shows that clearly-missed call. The third goal was a pk-a terrible call. My girl made a clean play on the ball, it was their forward who turn her back, fell,and did some great acting. Several slide tackles from the behind. Home field definitely was an advantage. Our girls were intimidated and frustrated. I take nothing away from HH-a very good team. However, it is hard to battle back with such adversity (especially after the 2nd and 3rd goals). My girls tried to keep their heads in the game, but with traveling three hours on a bus with no air, very tough. I am proud that they kept playing to the end. We are trying to make our program better. Our school has yet to buy a complete set of unforms for our program. We are not there yet, but we are making progress. We are very poor school district that is doing the best we can with good parents. Next year we will be better. Aside: Chapin will beat HH (because HH will have to travel to Chapin). "Unlevel playing fields" are to compete on.

Last edited by Meredith; 05/06/08 04:21 PM.
world cup
world cup
You can bet Airport is pulling for Chapin in that match!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
N
bench
bench
N
WF/Berkeley
Berkeley played tough and are to be commended. West Florence is young, 4 freshmen and 6 sophomores in the starting lineup. The second round game will be a rematch with Ridge View, WF won a couple weeks back 3-2. Keep an eye on #6, freshman Alexa Gainey. She plays on the '93 odp squad and tallied 2 goals versus Berkeley.

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
I understand your frustration Meredith, but you cannot blame the result of the HH - Swansea match on the refs. The tape of the match that I watched shows a clear foul that led to the PK (yes - the defender was making a play on the ball, but she went through the other player to get there). Personally, I prefer a physical game, but there are limits. Also, neither the second or third goal account for Swansea not getting a single shot on goal until after the HH starters were on the bench in the second half.

That said, I really appreciate your sentiments concerning the difficulties associated with being a relatively remote and poorly funded program. The travel does impact the play, especially on a school night.

However, HH has only one team in its conference that is less than 3 hours away and they are very accustomed to travelling. Chapin may well win, but it will be because they prove themselves to be the better team (and have consistently played better competition - including teams like Swansea).

Best of luck next season to Swansea and all those teams that have ended their season.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
HH
Come to us next year, we will be happy to host you all next year. Give me a call: 568-1100.

Last edited by Meredith; 05/06/08 05:41 PM.
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
"Can't we all just get along"
-Rodney King

corner kick
corner kick
And how far did that get Rodney?
Just kidding. This is likely not the best format for above, but will leave to the admin folks.

Doin' it the hard way...
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I was at the game so I will give my account from how it looked from the stands.

Hilton Head controlled the match throughout. About 90% (a rough estimate) was Hilton Head controlling the ball in their offensive third.

HH's first goal came about 10 minutes in and was an incredible offensive play with a great pass from Stephanie Sosa finished by Dianna Boryk.

The second goal was scored by Abby Fennessey and it appeared to me (and everyone else) that she was offsides when the ball was delivered.

I thought the third goal was a penalty. It was close enough that in the box, the defender has to make a smarter play.

Here is the recap from the Island Packet:
{The Seahawks (13-2) were barely challenged in taking their first step toward a return to the state finals, where they lost to Eastside a year ago. Dianna Boryk got Hilton Head High on the board in the 10th minute, hitting a beautiful pass from Stephanie Sosa with her right foot, and Abby Fennessey scored her team-leading 15th goal less than four minutes later.

"When you travel as far as they did, in the heat, and you're down 2-0 or something early," Seahawks coach Larry Tavino said, "it kind of has a devastating effect."

So it was that much more devastating when the Seahawks tacked on three more goals before halftime -- one from Natoli and a pair from Sosa. They added two more in the second half, from Boryk and Carly Iulo, and had a 7-0 lead before Hilton Head High goalie Kylie Thompson had made a single save.

Thompson made only two saves in the game.}

The two goals were certainly controversial, but they really had little effect on the game. Hilton Head was better and still would have won 7-1 without those two calls. If the score was 5-1 in the second half, HH's better players would have stayed on the field longer and scored anyway.

Congratulations to Swansea on a good season. I saw them twice. They will get better in the years to come.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Great to see a young WF team doing so well--definitely some talent there, and looks good for the future! Berkeley was starting 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores as well, and losing only 4 seniors this year...looking forward to seeing what the future holds!

Thanks for the game of "mudball" following the torrential rain...I'd have loved to play that game again with a keeper who wasn't suffering from double vision from a cleat to the eye last week...I think we could have really made it fun! Good luck in the next round!

I've got good news and bad news...
S
coach
coach
S
realmccoy: Rodney got $3.8M. Of course, he then got arrested for spousal abuse, possession, indecent exposure, speeding, DUI, etc.

Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard