Brace
Brace
where is that team bus hurst????

Big Daddy #103586 05/20/08 04:39 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I'm 48 years old and have an old fraternity brother of mine whose kids are older....and who lives in Raleigh.

His son was a pretty good soccer player...captained his HS team (Apex) to a state championship and played at CASL all the way thru. But he played challenge.....which is the equivalent of classic in SC.

He could have played at a higher level....but he chose not to. He played almost all the way thru with the same group of buddies....parents were buddies...etc etc. The team...was more important than moving up the hierarchy.

Isn't this an aspect of soccer that we all respect?

This is pretty much Emerald/Koalas....they've turned into a pretty good team with some players who could play at a much higher level, but choose not to. Playing R3PL is the LAST thing on these people's minds.

The girls love each other. The parents all like each other and adore the girls. People shouldn't look for anything from these kids other than what they are. A good well coached team of solid players who love to compete but aren't ready to sell their souls to play at a higher level.

Some of them may play in college....but probably more at a D2 level. The college selection process for virtually all of them will probably have more to do with academics, location, school size, major, where their friends go, etc...
then soccer.

Hurst66 #103587 05/20/08 04:43 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Patriots Point is lovely......

.......but not at $4/gallon.

To my point about NC D1......

But......ya gotta go play a game. Your options are Winston Salem, Columbia, or Patriots Point.

No brainer for me dude. Bee can ride with us....

Big Daddy #103588 05/20/08 04:47 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
edited by big daddy...

Last edited by Big Daddy; 05/20/08 08:22 PM.
Big Daddy #103589 05/20/08 05:04 PM
H
brace
brace
H
Big daddy,
all mine wants to do is play soccer.she wants to play at the highest level possible.she did not miss high school soccer this year but she missed playing. she also has a 4.4 gpa in honors classes and will have a wide range of choices when it comes to academics in college.she is looking at D1 schools and smaller schools for academics as well as soccer.my kids choice will have more to do with academics rather than soccer but it is nice to know she will have soccer choices also.what is wrong with having all that and wanted to play at the highest level.by knowing you,i know you did not mean anything by it but in your post you make it sound like kids have sold their sole for soccer if they want to get to the higest level possible.
i really do not understand you statement that RPLIII league is the last thing on their minds.i will have to disagree.this whole thread was started about where they should play and where would be the best place for them to win.why would a parent spend all that money and time if a kid could care less about region play or any high level for that matter.if it was just to have fun with friends then they could all go play rec together for about 50 bucks a year and im sure they could win the league.
they are good kids and im sure not all of them care about region play but does that hurt the few that do and stay with a team because of friends or any other reason.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Jim,

This thread wasn't created about one specific team.

It was created about an opportunity thats being created for York County kids by this Alliance between a YC club and a major Charlotte club.

There is NOTHING wrong with what you spell out for your daughter. She is a great, passionate player who is also gifted academically.

My son loves to play and wants to play at the highest level and pushes himself hard. But its not work....he loves it. But although he loves it, make no bones his primary driver is to compete.

My daughter isn't wired that way. She loves the game and loves her team but for her....its more of a social thing. She isn't planning camps, skipping rope or juggling constantly. Nor does she drool over the latest Nike Vapors or whatever is being highlighted in Eurosport.

You act as if there are no levels between R3PL and rec. As if a kid who isn't sufficiently gifted or desiring of playing at absolutely the highest level.....shouldn't play beyond rec.

In fact...there are a bunch of levels between rec and R3PL and the expenses are graded accordingly. I don't begrudge her one dime of soccer money. Absolutely a great investment in who she is and is becoming as a person.

In terms of selling the soul.....yeah, thats just a figure of speech. Or maybe not. My boy misses out on a bunch of stuff becasue of soccer. His football playing buddies play a bunch of other sports. Soccer is a jealous mistress. Think about it....when does your daughters season start and when does it end? Assuming she played at a decent high school....when would that start and when would it end?

Where does playing football or basketball for your school factor in? It doesn't.

His buddies are always off doing things together....he catches them sometimes, but misses a lot. No regrets....but to say his journey to R3PL has been without having to have made choices isn't accurate. He leads a pretty regimented life. Soccer and school for the most part.

That works for him...and for kids like him. Not....for most kids. Lots of kids THINK thats what they want until they get there and see what it takes and the choices they'll need to make.

Big Daddy #103591 05/20/08 06:36 PM
H
brace
brace
H
i agree you have to give up alot.you know mine did not play high school so she has had pleanty of time off to do other things.it was good and bad.for her she is in shape but not soccer shape.she will always be a pretty good player but she is rusty from being off a few months.
i didnt mean to sound like there was nothing between rec and region but i think there are some girls on that team that would like to play at a higher level but maybe do not because of friendships.nothing at all wrong with that.i just took some of your earlier post to mean that something was wrong with wanting the higher level.as i stated i know there was no ill will in your statement.
i know with my youngest who could be 10 times better than my oldest still is in that "wants to play for fun" mode but i think it is changing.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard