Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I'll give a second vote to Deirdre Ball.

I saw her play twice this year and I thought she was fantastic. I commented on the Fort Mill Invitational thread, back in March, that I felt she was outstanding.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Right about this topic.

Right above, sorry.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Deirdre Ball - defensive midfielder/center midfielder,only a junior, may be the most underrated player in the State.
For a team that went 21-3 and lost 8 seniors and 1 transfer to DF, along with SA and NA in the top 15 and a very good Irmo team, I believe Lexington overachieved. Besides region two, maybe the most competitive region in the State allowing only 3 goals in 10 matches (one on a pk).
And this is coming from my opinion that the Lexingtons coaching staff is way overrated.
Rumor has it that Fryland may return in some role next year to assist the varsity and JV team...Please say thats not so.
Does anybody have any insights into this?

brace
brace
AA/A All-State:

Missed? Kelly (D) and Lawson (K), Woodruff, both seniors. Woodruff has advanced to the Upper State for second year in a row and the team has fewer players on the All-State roster than other teams who are clearly down this year.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

Rumor has it that Fryland may return in some role next year to assist the varsity and JV team...Please say thats not so.
Does anybody have any insights into this?

I immediately called the AD and told him that under no circumstances should Fryland be allowed to assist anything. The AD initially disagreed -- citing not only Fryland's A license and region coach of the year credentials (last year) but also that he had coached the team to winning 4 region championships in the last 4 years.

However, I told him that there was an anonymous message board poster who felt strongly that Fryland shouldn't have anything to do with Lexington. That did the trick. Fryland is now persona non grata in Lexington. Thanks for your help here!

P.S.

P.P.S. I've communicated with Fryland maybe four times in the four years my kid has played soccer for him; and I'd estimate that we've spoken about soccer once and that time only tangentially (and that was about my kid playing against Clemson and thus missing a practice back her freshman year -- it was big topic on the message boards back then as well (in a negative way.)) I have not a clue as to what he's doing. Just find the whole thing to be a bit...amusing...

Shibumi #104066 05/12/08 12:11 PM
S
coach
coach
S
I think that Deidre is one of the finest athletes playing girls soccer in our state.

A note on something in general regarding defenders. I've been fortunate enough to see perhaps the best defender in the last 10 years play a lot (Blakely Mattern.) I've also seen some other wonderful defenders play -- from Kimmy Gillespie back when she played club/high school to Alix Zongrone today (in my opinion the best overall defender in the state. (Note: I think that Wando has the best overall defense in our state.)

The major difference that I see between the best defenders in the upstate of South Carolina versus most defenders in the state is training. There are fundamentals to the way that you play defense that I just don't see a lot of kids showing. You can be a great athlete -- but if you're not trained on defensive fundamentals -- you're not going to achieve what you want. And beyond defensive fundamentals, the best defenders in the state have the ability not only to defend but to alter the nature of the attack in a coherent, planned fashion (i.e., have some degree of field vision and an ability to pass to a teammate at a fast pace.)

Shibumi #104067 05/12/08 12:17 PM
goal kick
goal kick
Very good post

B
bench
bench
B
Post deleted by Backrow2

brace
brace
I agree with Shibumi. . .as a parent of a defender. . .I learned over her career that few people understand or respect quality defenders (except for the very elite coaches).

Note how people respond to Mattern's play; a great deal of press and response to those amazing headers on set plays (offense), but less so for the relentless physical and mental (leadership and talking) contribution she makes to any team from the back.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

I'm not so sure I could give 100%

Sounds like a true competitor... Wish you the best at Ashley Ridge.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard