Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Dale:

Does that mean you also don't support all the HS girls who are playing in the RIII regionals in June or the All-Star games in June and July? I think all college coaches would want their players to continue playing through the summer. Injuries can happen in practice, but you don't stop practicing.

Unlike HS they are required to be in condition when they arrive on the college campus or they don't play. Some only have 9-10 days after arrival before their first college game. Can you get in condition in 9-10 days? I don't think so. Playing trough the summer is essential.

If HS coaches want to help their college bound athletes succeed, spend some time with some HIGH LEVEL D1 coaches. Pick their brains and see what will help your HS athletes be better prepared. College bound soccer players receive workout packages for the summer to be in shape when they arrive on campus. Ask one of your college bound players to share their package with you. Could help your conditioning in HS.

CB, sometimes it pays to think things through. I'm not saying you haven't...I'm just saying.

You see, comparing regionals and All-Star games is great for the simple thinker, but when considering this pro team you need to use a little more than the knee-jerk reaction division of your brain.

As a college coach, I would be able to handle one or two days of training and then an All-Star game in which my player would be properly substituted. I would even be able to handle a few more practices and a couple of tough games for regionals.

But my problem would come in when I'm paying a kid somewhere in the neighborhood of $70,000 to come and help me win/keep my job...and she just comes off a SEASON against bigger, stronger competition with a good potential of her being worn down/nicked up. Maybe I'm crazy, but a healthy player with a bit of an offseason to refresh herself is worth more to me than one having just came off a season of "playing up".

Again, I'm proud of her and it's a heck of an accomplishment. You asked my opinion and took us down the rabbit trail, so I'm just responding. I don't want any rude return, but a debate about paying $70,000 for a tired player is welcome

Shibumi #104122 05/15/08 02:55 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

This is wonderful news for Hannah; congratulations to her!

Last year, Darcell Mollon from USC played for this team; this year Laura Armstrong (formerly of USC) is playing. In addition, I think that one of Hannah's club teammates is playing (from NC, Jordan Edwards.)

In terms of injury and schedule, it really just depends on how active the summer is for the college that each player is attending. Some schools ask their players not only to do summer workout but the captains encourage them to attend summer school and practice/play at the school during the summer. Truthfully, I wouldn't think that the risk of injury is that much greater than in some of the other training and playing that these players who are extremely motivated end up doing.

It's an excellent achievement and a wonderful opportunity -- congratulations Hannah! The College of Charleston is fortunate to get such a gifted and talented player.

For the players that stay injury free and pick up some skill and fitness along the way, I think it's great they are playing. Can you imagine the resumes of some of those players? Great to be around such experience.

throw in
throw in
DJ:

There are no rude returns here are they? Just good old debate!!.

What is your definition of TIRED? I don't think you give enough credit to these girls and the shape they are in. I'll give you the training for the All-Star games is not very intense, but the training for regionals is brutal. Two weeks with 2-a-days up until regionals is no picnic. This year regionals is two weeks earlier than last year. Training last year was up until the end of June and they played through July 5 with a couple a weeks off then training for clubs begin. Not a lot of refreshing time.

Debating the paying of $70,000 for an athlete to play for you is mute when Coach Demsey himself has encouraged Hannah to tryout and play. Maybe he knows something you don't. Imagine that!!

Soccer is a game you just have to love!!!!
World Cup
World Cup
Maybe you're right about playing shape. Been a while since I've been in high school and I know our girls can flat get it on the track.

"Dempsey" I believe is his name. C of C won 8 games in '06 and 9 games in '07. They only won 1 game in the last 5 game stretch to finish the season. Yeah, I think I'll have my player rested.

S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

"Dempsey" I believe is his name. C of C won 8 games in '06 and 9 games in '07. They only won 1 game in the last 5 game stretch to finish the season. Yeah, I think I'll have my player rested.

But that was last year before they signed Hannah and J.L. Mann's Ally Truitt. This year, they're going to kick tail and take names!

K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
as a former college coach, we encouraged the girls to get as much playing time as they could over the summer. just your normal conditioning does not prepare these players for a 90 minute game and physical play that comes with it. If anything these girls need a base of fitness that they can build off of and hopefully get into "soccer shape" in 2 weeks...but the more they play the better it is for them when the season comes. The college season is short and fast once you get into it and as for incoming freshmen who wants to play, they best be ready b/c they are fighting for a job on that team. not everyone travels, dresses, or plays-this is it for them...
In regards to injuries, you can get injured doing anything-the more fit you are the less risk of injuries..

A lot of college players play in the W-league; it is a great league that has teams all over the country; the great thing is that these players can go around the country and play-several teams have host parents that will host the player and they can live for free and play soccer; several top notch college players play as well as US national players...tiffany milbrett played for the vancouver whitecaps when i watched fort collins force play themm.

good luck to this young lady-it is a great opportunity and there is always a risk in anything you do-

Shibumi #104127 05/15/08 05:12 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

But that was last year before they signed Hannah and J.L. Mann's Ally Truitt. This year, they're going to kick tail and take names!

I've seen Hannah many, many times and I believe you are 100% correct!

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
I saw CofC play twice last year and support their camp with kids and friends.....pretty good team with a tough schedule.

Last five matches had only two losses, both to UNC-Greensboro: 1-0 in SoCon Tournament and 3-2 in 2OT. UNCG made second round of NCAA Tournament. They also played LSU, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M in non-conference and seem to get after a tough schedule each year.

Started 7-8 fresh/soph.......so with those players a year older and what seems a good class coming in with Gmerek, it seems to be a bright future for the Cougars. Word is Casey Craft, Hayley Hutchens and Sarah Schaidle will join them in 2009 as the in-state portion of a large class.

World Cup
World Cup
In state recruiting is fantastic for one of our premier college teams. If he lands those girls...wow. Nothing like beating nationally ranked teams with regional talent.

jkr Offline
kick off
kick off
is this still the all state thread or the hannah g thread? just wondering because i have more all state nominations.

kelly from emerald is OUTSTANDING, never seen more hand balls in the box in one single season, not mention the same ref called it everytime.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard