World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
5/12/08 - Girls Semifinals

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Hilton Head 4:0 Brookland-Cayce (Final)

Great year for the Lady Bearcats! A great group of girls!

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 05/13/08 12:57 AM.
goal kick
goal kick
Any updates on the Riverside/ JL Mann game?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Summerville-Wando 0-0 at the half...waiting for final results...

I've got good news and bad news...
J
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
J
BE 1
Waccamaw 0

BE scored in the final minutes. Great game, end to end competition. Warriors will be back next season with the full squad.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Summerville-Wando 0-0 in regulation...starting overtime!

brace
brace
Final:

Mauldin 1
Dorman 0

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Final:

Mauldin 1
Dorman 0

I am still hurting from letting them get away, but I said a long time ago that I thought Mauldin was the most talented team in the state. Now they get a chance to prove it.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

BE 1
Waccamaw 0

BE scored in the final minutes. Great game, end to end competition. Warriors will be back next season with the full squad.

I don't know enough about Waccamaw to comment but the BE girls are very deserving with their skill and sportsmanship. Good luck in the championship girls!

S
throw in
throw in
S
Riverside vs JL Mann. After a 1-1 tie that went into 4 ots. 2- 10's and 2- 5's we went to PK's where Riverside Converted all 5 to win 5-4 .

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
I hate that it has to end in PKs. I like golden goal because then coaches are forced to play to win...rather than to not lose.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Wando 1-0 over Summerville in the first golden-goal OT period...

If I can borrow a line from SSM and Achmed--

Holy crap!!

S
throw in
throw in
S
Woodruff 1 Wahalla 0

world cup
world cup
CJ,

After the first two 10 minute OT's, the next two 5 minute OT's are golden goal.

If we eliminated PK's, how does this force coaches to play to win? If both coaches are defensive-minded and conservative, the girls could very well be out there until dawn.

I think the Flyers and the Penguins played a 5OT playoff game a few years back.....that's asking a lot.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
They probably drive to Clover from Fort Mill, Hurst

S
throw in
throw in
S
Actually Riverside batted first, both teams made their first two, RHS made their third, JLM third PK missed sailing high off to the shooter's left both player made the 4th and then Anne Austin, the lone junior on the team calmly place the 5th and winning kick in the left hand corner A great game to watch and played very well by both teams with very, very good officiating! A tribute to senior captain, Sarah Jacobs, who could not play in the field due to injured left knee but led off the first kick with a bullet in the right corner! Tough loss for a very, very good JL Mann team. A wonderful win for RHS and especially the 10 seniors!

W
bench
bench
W
Quote:

Holy crap!!

Wando 1, Summerville 0

Golden Goal by: Chloe Urig
Assist by: Madeline Fellabom
Shut Out Jade Davis

O
throw in
throw in
O
Congads Woodruff. Back to the finals.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Holy crap!!

Achmed get Royalties on that!

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

Holy crap!!

Achmed get Royalties on that!

You bet your made-in-China butt!

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

They probably drive to Clover from Fort Mill, Hurst

Whoops. Wrong thread.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

Final:

Mauldin 1
Dorman 0

I am still hurting from letting them get away, but I said a long time ago that I thought Mauldin was the most talented team in the state. Now they get a chance to prove it.

Yeah, well you and I got beat a combined 9-1 to a team I think was the best in the state. I don't think Mauldin is the better of the two, but they were better when counted

K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
I don't think there is any good way to find a winner in a tied game in playoffs. I think, after losing in PK's in the first round, that the OT's should be longer. The 2 10's are fine but then to make it 2 5's golden goal, i thought was to short. we had barely enough time to switch sides and get momentum.
Every playoff system has this predicament; the only option is to play til someone scores and make it all golden goal. But that is one opinion and idea...but i don't think it will change.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

CJ,

After the first two 10 minute OT's, the next two 5 minute OT's are golden goal.

If we eliminated PK's, how does this force coaches to play to win? If both coaches are defensive-minded and conservative, the girls could very well be out there until dawn.

I think the Flyers and the Penguins played a 5OT playoff game a few years back.....that's asking a lot.

Being a hockey fan (Go Flyers!!) this is interesting...maybe we should start removing one player per team (like the hockey regular season 4 on 4 OT period), except we could remove a player every 10 minutes...hmmmm....

Fletch: It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.
W
throw in
throw in
W

World Cup
World Cup
I've always enjoyed the removal thought process, but until the WC and Euro2008 and EPL start changing, I don't see SCHSL being the pioneers...unfortunately.

corner kick
corner kick

I remember playing in a 6 v 6 tournament a few years (okay almost a decade) ago and the championship game did that. If it was tied each team removed a player after every 15 minutes (or 10 or something). I think it could get down to 3 v 3. Of course this was using the smaller goals and not regulation ones, but it was very interesting. You had to completely rethink the way you played.

Fletch: It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.
C
Goal
Goal
C
Dale, CJ

We all got beat a combined 13-1 to the team I thought was the best I had played all season.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Recap from Island Packet of Hilton Head and B-C.

http://www.islandpacket.com/sports/local/story/496626.html

world cup
world cup
Congratulations to Hilton Head, glad they made the final.

A tall task awaits on Friday.

Good luck Seahawks!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
kick off
kick off
G
Congratulations to the Walhalla Lady Razorbacks on a great season. They might not be the most skilled team, but they played with a lot of ferocity and heart.

Coaches, you did a phenomenal job this season and we look forward to the future. Thank you for your time and effort.

Seniors, we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours- thanks for the last 4 years of hard work and dedication to Walhalla soccer, your leadership on and off the field was extraordinary.

kick off
kick off
So pretty much mauldin has a good chance at state unless wando can break the dreeded taco bell curse!

Never Give Up, Never Surrender!!!!
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

So pretty much mauldin has a good chance at state unless wando can break the dreeded taco bell curse!

i havnt seen wando this year but it will take a good team to get by the mauldin defenders.

brace
brace
Quote:

Congratulations to the Walhalla Lady Razorbacks on a great season. They might not be the most skilled team, but they played with a lot of ferocity and heart.

Coaches, you did a phenomenal job this season and we look forward to the future. Thank you for your time and effort.

Seniors, we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours- thanks for the last 4 years of hard work and dedication to Walhalla soccer, your leadership on and off the field was extraordinary.

I believe far too little has been said about the growth of Walhalla soccer in the past few years.

I will also add that the players and fans/parents were extremely gracious after losing 1-0. Few teams and followers show the class Walhalla did last night at Woodruff. Parents voluteering "We hope you win the state" to Woodruff players as they walked with their own upset children from the field.

I hope we can all celebrate the fact of a Woodruff/Walhalla Upper State this year—a true sign of public school growth for soccer!

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
G
kick off
kick off
G
Woodruff was also gracious- the Walhalla keeper said that several Woodruff players and parents congratulated her on a good game. The atmosphere was good and the Woodruff players did not throw the win in Walhalla's faces.

Congrats and good luck to Woodruff in the State Championship.

R
bench
bench
R
In response to all the talk about PKs; I don't understand the whole controversy of it all. You have played for 120 minutes and have come out even on the scoreboard. Now it is time to move on to another part and skill of the game.

If you are sore about losing in Pks then practice them. It is not something that should never be addressed. It is pure composure and skill that gets that ball passed the keeper. And it is a lot of talent and skill (NOT GUESSING!) done by the keeper to keep it out of the net. Pks also test the depth of your team. If you are tied through the first five shots then you have to keep going down the line through your whole roster.

I think Pks are fun and the only way to end a game like the JL Mann vs. RHS game. Two teams battling it out on the field with no obvious winner, so they move onto another skill, Pks.

world cup
world cup
I'm not a goalkeeper, but when it comes to a PK shootout, I'd rather be GREAT at guessing....than GOOD at goalkeeping.

R
bench
bench
R
descent keepers guess, GREAT keepers can read the kicker. Big difference when you are trying to win a game that matters.

World Cup
World Cup
I'd say it's a crap shoot in goal during PK's...most of the time.

H
brace
brace
H
guessing right or reading the kicker right may all be good but i still think that stopping a PK is mostly luck or a bad strike.like kicking one over the goal about about 50 feet.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Often true...but a good keeper who can read the kick can definitely give an edge. Might get lucky or unlucky on any single kick, but in a best-of-five series, prediction vs. pure luck can make enough of a difference to show.

K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
As a former GK, the pressure is on the shooter. They are the ones that need to make the shot rather than the GK make the save. There are many tricks to learn as a GK to make the save, but it is easier said than done when it happens so fast. I do think it has to do with both-guessing and reading the shooter..

I just feel that there are better ways to finish a game; it was said earlier that players should be taken off the field at different times...play til there are 7 players b.c that is the least # you can play with in a regular game. OR when i was in high school (one of the years) the GK was able to move anyway they wanted...ie. when the whistle was blown the ball was live and it gave more advantage to the GK during the shootout...this was only in playoffs that this happened; it was great for a GK but unfortunately we lost in golden goal with 2 mins. to play in the 2nd OT i never got to experience the shootout....:(

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard