Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
cat's cradle #104991 05/18/08 07:29 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Kyle:

Yes, BE and CC are and have always been the rightful champions because their participation is completely within the parameters created by the HSL.

As well, they are excellent programs with excellent coaches and players.

My points are two: (1) Private schools should not be allowed to compete with same-size schools when other factors are not (and cannot) be held constant (many states use a formula to adjust for these advantages); (2) private schools have different de facto rules that are NOT against HSL guidelines, and thus compete on an unlevel playing field.

Your other point, Kyle, is extremely important and almost never mentioned. We have profound disparities among public schools including affluence and open-enrollment allowances. A different disparity, but a disparity all the same.

If I were coaching AA/A girls, and I had a choice of who to play for the state, it would be BE without a doubt because they are the undisputed top team in AA/A girls soccer.

I think we do not disagree as much you think. But anyone who believes that the success of private schools in high school soccer has not in part been influenced by their advantages as a private school, then I believe that to be naive. (A similar and valid argument can be made for affluent public schools with many years of success as well.)

CC, I agree with you that "we do not disagree as much as you think". You and I are on the "other end" with the high schools we are associated with and I totally understand your statement about playing BE in a State Championship -- everyone wants to measure "your best" against the perceived "best". Good comments!

On another note, I am not against a 1 1/2-rule (i.e., 800 students at a private school = 1,200 for classification and thus, Class 3A in S.C.). However, until the football/basketball coaches start squirming for these measures then it is a moot point and not worth the time to discuss (or argue :-).

Shibumi #104992 05/18/08 07:37 PM
S
goal
goal
S
Cradle:
I attended your match on friday and your team had a 1-0 lead going into halftime if I remember correctly. I thought Woodruff played a nice match. You have a quality coach, quality players and the most loyal fans of the weekend in terms of size. How did affluence play a roll in your loss? Seems to me your girls ran out of gas. Anyway, congratulations on a fine season. and lookout for #9 next year.

Shibumi #104993 05/18/08 07:44 PM
brace
OP Offline
brace
Quote:

Another factor seldom mentioned:
  • Wando has 31% more students than Mauldin.
  • Riverside has 28% more students than Hilton Head.
  • Woodruff has 1% more students than Bishop England.

Affluence is certainly a factor. The quality of clubs proximate to the high school is certainly a factor. I'm sure that there are other factors as well.

It appears that there are many factors that contribute to an "unlevel" playing field. Not sure how you'd ***EVER*** compensate for all of them.

You can't, but we shouldn't discount addressing the inequities we can just because we can't do it perfectly.

I still believe some sports would be best served by leagues and the moving up/relegation system of the PL in jolly ol' England. Let performance balance things out over the years.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
sweet feet #104994 05/18/08 07:50 PM
brace
OP Offline
brace
Quote:

Cradle:
I attended your match on friday and your team had a 1-0 lead going into halftime if I remember correctly. I thought Woodruff played a nice match. You have a quality coach, quality players and the most loyal fans of the weekend in terms of size. How did affluence play a roll in your loss? Seems to me your girls ran out of gas. Anyway, congratulations on a fine season. and lookout for #9 next year.

It didn't. BE outperformed WHS over the entire match and won. No excuses or complaints. Fair and clean and well deserved win by BE. Not my point at all.

My point has absolutely nothing to do with a single match. Woodruff's success over the past 6 or 7 years has come from the program incorporating many of the elements correlated with the advantages of affluence into a school program that has allowed Woodruff to compete fairly equally with all teams in AA/A despite the inequities of affluence and attendance areas. That fact does not erase the broad inequities, but it does highlight those elements needed to be successful at a high level.

A coach or school cannot magically change the affluence of a school, but they can build a commitment to the program needed to be successful.

cat's cradle #104995 05/18/08 07:52 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Some other comments from the weekend:

How do 'soccer folks' arrive in Land Rovers, Mercedes, BMWs, etc., and pay admission -- to a high school event with a Benjamin -- and then lament the cost of a $2 program, $1 candy/soft drinks?

The SCHSL ticket-takers were blown away by the "big money" being thrown around at the gates and that those same people were complaining about $8 entry fees.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Kyle Heise #104996 05/18/08 08:00 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

You can't, but we shouldn't discount addressing the inequities we can just because we can't do it perfectly.

Okay...well...I look forward to the system that compensates for Wando's student population advantage of almost a third or Mauldin's integrated and professional club environment of which some of the main training fields are a few miles down the road over my favorite high school. Perhaps we can apply it retroactively!

Shibumi #104997 05/18/08 08:17 PM
brace
OP Offline
brace
Shibumi:

Excellent points, and I wonder how valid the implied belief is that among the LARGER schools, these "advantages" aren't as significant as at smaller schools. It is far easier to get people's sympathies for "small" schools than for AAAA schools.

cat's cradle #104998 05/18/08 09:55 PM
Goal
Goal
Great job by the Woodruff fans! Did anyone stay back and make sure no one was robbing the town blind?

Victory Starts Here!
202677 #104999 05/18/08 10:19 PM
World Cup
World Cup
CC,

I understand your point concerning the advantage that BE has through open enrollment and affluence (if we are agreeing that affluence positively effects performance in soccer). I could also see where this would be a disadvantage in football for Bishop England (Admin's point) and I doubt any AD's or football coaches would address it/take up during yearly meetings (nor do I know what resolution they would come to if they did) to make them more competitive on the gridiron.

It's tough, but take heart in knowing Woodruff is the #1 public school in AA/A and should take pride in that. Bishop Enland is the #1 school in AA/A and they should follow suit. I simply do not know what, if anything, could be done to make the playing field equal save participation strictly in the SCISA. Until then we'll have to live with the big pink elephant in the room.

Coach Young #105000 05/18/08 10:51 PM
brace
OP Offline
brace

Last edited by cat's cradle; 05/18/08 10:57 PM.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard