Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
throw in
throw in
W
Sorry, 1tf, hijacking happens a lot. Maybe Mavsupporter can take a stab at how Mauldin subs. I don't think the heat was a factor in the AAAA game, but the speed of play sure was. Both teams have a lot of speed. #6 for Mauldin is the fastest player I've seen all year!

WandoFan #105305 05/19/08 09:10 PM
corner kick
corner kick
I never coached high school (obviously), but I did coach for club soccer, so I'll take a stab at it.

I think it depends on how capable your bench is, how competitive the coach and team are at any point in time (ie game time versus ultimately going for the win), how the players in the game are faring, and the coach him/herself. Some coaches are very good at knowing their benches and being confident in their abilities and using them. Others don't trust their benches and won't play them if possible and others still may not have the depth needed to stay in the game even if the starters are tiring, so the hedge their bets on tiring starters being better than fresh reserves.

It's ultimately up to the coach's judgement and the only truly wrong response is a coach who won't play players due to unfair biases either way, on players or reservists.

Subbing well can mean the difference between a win and a loss though. I can recall two Wando games in particular back when I played where it made the difference.

Versus James Island: Their assistant coach orchestrated an absolutely brilliant game by substituting new legs in every five minutes or so. They kept pressure on us everywhere, all the time, full force. It kept us flustered and we tired while they were fresh from rests all the time to give 110%. With few or no subs going in on our side and fresh legs on theirs, they wore us out and won by playing a fabulous game, working hard, and using the coach's great strategy.

Versus West Ashley: We were up 3-1 (I think) and instead of backloading the defense with speedy players to mark up on Danielle Jordan and Alexis Brothers--for those of you not familiar with them, one of the National team coaches once said he thought Danielle could be one of the three fastest girls in the country and the others were no slouches either--we left good 1v1, but slow defenders back with no speedy support.

For WA, boot and "boogie" really did work because they could beat anyone on the run unless you gave them a cushion and were speedy yourself. At any rate, instead of moving our faster defenders and players back to be able to contend and defend against the long ball and run, we kept some good 1v1 defenders that weren't the quickest back there. While excellent defenders against most other players, against phenomenal speed and the long ball, they struggled. Inevitably, WA sent the ball long and over their heads several times, and with no adjustments, we got beaten fair and square in the backfield, and lost something like 4-3, losing Lower State.

(My grammar is atrocious today, my apologies!)

Last edited by adidaskitten86; 05/19/08 09:33 PM.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

I guess the answer to the question is "no answer". Since this post has been (how do you say) "hijacked" to discuss other subjects. I will go back to just reading this message board.

The answer is fairly obvious. Many coaches "shorten" their bench in tougher games and during the playoffs. Sometimes it is to their detriment, but coaches in many sports will tell you that as you get further in the playoffs, your bench gets shorter and your starters play more minutes. There is a reason that your starters are your starters. They are your better players. Most teams don't go 17 or 18 deep with talented players. Heck, most teams don't go 14 or 15 deep.

It is just a matter of opinion and coaching style. I have seen coaches that will use three or four subs but only sub those players at certain positions. I have also seen coaches that will use only one or two subs, but be able to use those subs in a rotations that allows every player on the field (save the goalie) to have 5-8 minutes of rest during each half. I have seen coaches that use only a couple of subs, but will move players around to get periods of rest such as switching defenders and forwards depending on where the balance of the game is being played.

It is these decisions that allow coaches to "earn" their money. What many people on the outside looking in (other coaches, fans, parents) don't always comprehend is the situation of the team. A certain player could be injured or sick or just weary because of AP exams and this changes all of the best laid plans. I think this is especially true for parents. They get fired up at the coach because Suzy scored 3 goals against a certain team so she must be a great player, yet she didn't get to play in the playoff game. What is the coach thinking? Well, he could be thinking that Suzy scored 3 goals against a very poor team, but her skills and athletic ability don't allow her to perform to that same level against better teams.

goal
goal
Dirty Dozen for the 3peat!!!!!!

A SHARK ATE ME YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Oh MY!!!

Maradona good, Pele better, George Best.
corner kick
corner kick
On Friday night Mauldin had 4-5 players injured or in various stages of recovery. I am not saying this to make excuses but shed light on the small amount of subbing in the game. If these players had been 100% healthy and match fit they would have either started or seen considerable playing time. The bottom line is the players that played got us to the finals and within a few minutes of going to overtime against a great Wando team. Mauldin only graduates two seniors this year, with the return of our injured players and a solid group of freshman arriving, the future looks very bright.

Only time will tell
S
bench
bench
S
The Ball Hungry Philosophy
Mauldin may adopt a new coaching philosophy next year, this was once tried very successfully in the English pro-leagues. It based on the idea that if the players do not get to play or train with a ball during the training periods they will become "Ball Hungry" on the game day. Given sufficient publicity this methodology will spread throughout the state and Mauldin will almost certainly become champions.

corner kick
corner kick
soccerwatcher,
Woodruff tried something similar to this before the state championship game and it didn't turn out so well. Maybe if they had tried it the week before and not just at warm-ups, they would have had more success

Only time will tell
H
brace
brace
H
make sure the mauldin boys choir puts back all their cones.it is costing the state and tax payers money.

NICE AVATAR!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard