Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#105567 05/24/08 04:58 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Any opinions about the quality of HS coaches vs Club coaches?. Due to the high number of club players on any given HS team I really wonder the true importance of a quality HS coach. Club players equal success. I think a HS team with 11 club players could win a state title with a tennis coach running the team. What do you think?

world cup
world cup
I have to believe, in Girls 4A, the starting line-ups for all of the Top 15 teams in the state were chock-full of club players.

Only one team won state, and I don't know how good the coach is at tennis, but she's apparently pretty darned good at coaching soccer.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
You ask two separate opinions, I'll respond to the second..If the tennis coach knows nothing of soccer, even with 11 club players that team will probably not win state! Especially if the other team also has the same caliber players with a good HS/Club coach. The first question is also easy several HS have coaches that coach club and HS. The bottom line is the specific coach, their experience, license etc.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I think there are HS teams with 11+ club players who didn't win region, much less state. Club training certainly gives a HS coach more to work with, but how well you manage the talent you have available certainly makes a big difference as well. Individual talent is great, but it is teamwork that wins or loses soccer matches; the coach who can put players together so that they use their abilities to the greatest effect and make the whole greater than the sum of the parts will go a lot farther than one who just tosses great players on the field and says, "you're good--go win a game."

I've got good news and bad news...
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Coach Chass:
So does a coach who can put players togeather so that they use their abilities to the greatest effect need to be a soccer coach?

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Hurst:
How many club players start for the state champ Wando girls?

world cup
world cup
I really don't know but I'm sure she has at least 11 club players available to her on the roster if she needs them.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Hurst:
That proves my point.
3A-HH same deal, all club players starting.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Coach Chass:
So does a coach who can put players togeather so that they use their abilities to the greatest effect need to be a soccer coach?

I think the coach who can do that needs to be someone who understands the game, yes. He/she has to be able to decide on the system of play, know how to position players to best use their talents, read the game and make necessary adjustments, and most of all, have the confidence of the team so that they will all put their faith in the same system and work on it together. Nothing will kill a team's performance faster than a group of individuals who have no confidence in the coach or in each other, so they each try to play the game "their way" rather than all playing their roles within the system. Second-guessing causes hesitation and miscommunication, and those things lose games. So to answer your question, I'd say the team has to BELIEVE in their coach as a soccer coach in order to be at the top of their potential.

(This opinion comes from a guy who coaches on the club and HS sides, and also coached tennis.)

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Hurst:
How many club players start for the state champ Wando girls?

I can answer that...all of 'em.

Still doesn't prove your point that the ability of the HS coach doesn't matter, though...there are plenty of other teams who start 11 club players with others waiting on the bench, but who don't do as well as Wando. How do you account for that difference?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard