Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Or?..... Can a club team win without HS players? Can a HS team win without club players? Can a club win with a hot dog vender/gaffer/tennis coach?
Soccer players will play every chance they get. Pickup, club or HS. So that is why they appear in clubs and in HS. The simple desire to play.

C
Coach
Coach
C
If I may venture an interpretation on that...

Maybe sometimes the variable we don't give enough attention to is the players themselves. We get into the mindset of who makes the most difference, club coaches or high school coaches, and sometimes we forget it is the player who also makes a big difference. I think one reason club players perform better than non-club players is not necessarily because of quality of coaching--although I do not discount the effect a highly-skilled club coach can have--but it's at least partially because the club players tend to be the ones who put more of themselves into the sport. They are the ones who care about playing and playing well, enough to go to the extra effort, time, travel and expense to add another soccer season per year to their lives and work to get better; maybe they improve not so much because of who's been around to give it to them, but because of what they've done to earn it.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Anyway, I think Sweet is right that it takes opportunities for training beyond the short time available to a HS coach to maximize a player's potential...at the same time, I think it takes a combination of factors--including the talent and motivation of the HS coach--to make sure that potential translates into a team of talented players performing at their best.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Coach Chass:
You got that right.

throw in
throw in
Sweet feet: All Wando starters this year were Club players. In fact, the entire Wando team played club in the Fall of 2007 at a Challenge or Premier level - Bridge, MPSC & CESA. In addition, several of the starters are current or former ODP players, and at least one was on the ODP Region III 1991 pool team for 2007.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Hasn't the Wando coach coached soccer at other High Schools and has a proven soccer knowledge? (Chapin)

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Sweet feet: All Wando starters this year were Club players. In fact, the entire Wando team played club in the Fall of 2007 at a Challenge or Premier level - Bridge, MPSC & CESA. In addition, several of the starters are current or former ODP players, and at least one was on the ODP Region III 1991 pool team for 2007.

Keep talking; you're making my 5-0 loss to them with 2 Classic players look better and better all the time!

Goal
Goal
Coach Chass - Do you coach club? If so, where? If not, why not? Seems to be the best way to get your girls to improve in the offseason from high school.

Victory Starts Here!
C
Coach
Coach
C
I do; I've been coaching for CUSC with the U17 and U18 Classic teams the last two years. It's hard for a lot of my players to commit to club because of other responsibilities; we have very few specialized athletes in Moncks Corner, I'm afraid. Several of my players have tried out for this fall's team, though, so I'm hoping to continue to grow the participation!

goal
goal
Get better!!!!!

Last edited by Kyle Heise; 05/25/08 02:51 PM.

A SHARK ATE ME YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard