Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

Coach Tim..Did you have fun? Think about it before you answer..There must of been something that was worthwhile to what you were doing? Maybe bleeding and sweating with your teammates?

Heck ya I had fun! Bleeding, sweating and singing Drifter's songs on the bus "Under the Boardwalk". It was tough going but we had relished the toughness of it.
I guess the point I was making is fun and hard work are the same if that is the environment you create. Plus the challeges are different now, making a coach more cerebral and less of a bullwhip.
Plus he took us on to win state in football '81.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
you only get out as much as you put in..I guess i am just lucky that I have a player that works hard and stills enjoys the game

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I will also add (as Coach Chass hates when I say this at practice) LOVE, love the ball the grass your teammates your opponents and yourself. That respect and compassion will free you to PLAY and as well as....if I may drop the "F" bomb have FUN!

Hate it? Hardly. I couldn't agree more. At the risk of sounding goofy, I'll say this...love can make all the difference in a team. Love of the game, love of the team, love of a feeling of accomplishment, achievement, and progress...it's the greatest motivator in the world. If players love what they do, they will put ten times more in than players who are going through the motions just to meet someone else's expectations. Love is what brings them to practice when they have twenty other things to do, pushes them to practice and play through pain, injury, and sickness, keeps their spirits alive no matter what the scoreboard says, keeps them running when they should fall down. That spirit of laying it all out on the field no matter what happens, giving it all, not just what you can get by with, playing three levels above yourself through pure effort and heart...that's love. If anyone doesn't think that can make a difference, put two teams of equal athletic talent and training across from each other...teach one nothing but mechanics, requirements, and expectations, and show the other, in addition to all that, how to love the game and the people they share it with. See which one comes out on top.

I've got good news and bad news...
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Coach Chass:
I stand corrected, your right about the keeper position.

Farkas:
The hispanic kids are starting to make an impact on HS soccer. The hispanic kids have excellent skills but seem to lack the overall team concept if not exposed to club soccer.

Sweetfeet,
I can give you two examples of field players that did not play club yet were impact players for us at Hanna.

Amy Davis was our center back last year and a dominant defender who made all region...not a club player.

This year we have Emily Wentzky who is all region and will be playing in the North/South game. She will play next year at Erskine College...also not a club player.

What these two have in common is athleticism (both also played volleyball), strong sense of team, heart, and character. Neither of these girls had an ounce of selfishness in them and always put the team first.

My opinion about this whole coaching vs. talent discussion is very simply that they are not mutually exclusive. Programs like those at Wando and Dorman are of course built on talent, but you better believe that those coaches work very hard and are themselves very talented to make them into championship programs.

CJ #105651 05/27/08 11:33 AM
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Well said

goal kick
goal kick
my opinion is that with the season now over,
we're a bit bored.

CJ #105653 05/27/08 01:17 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
I had several players this year who were not club players who stepped up and made a big difference in our overall performance. Again, we aren't a state-championship-level team (yet) but these players are making a difference against high-level teams.

My freshman outside mid who scored against James Island--not a club player.

Freshman center mid who worked the ball into the box and generated the second score against JI...not a club player.

Two of my three on the back line who came over from track and swimming, along with two defensive mids who helped to hold an impressive Wando offense to 5 goals (compared to Wando's 5-0 against West Ashley and 4-0 against JI, both teams starting all club players)--not club players.

Our double-duty sweeper/forward who got a scholarship to play for Coker and our outside mid who went on to play at Columbia, plus the three seniors this year who were offered spots with USC-Salk...not club players.

There are other examples too...again, if you're measuring impact by a team's ability to reach Stone Stadium, we're not there yet, but there are still players who, pound for pound, have given some club players a run for their money..it's hard to say they're not making an impact. Like CJ says, it's pure athleticism, heart, character, and team that help these players do more than they "should" be able to on the field...they deserve some credit for what they do.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Coach Chass,
Their are plenty of quality/impact players that didn't make it to stone stadium. As you know, it takes 11 solid players on a team to make it to stone.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Absolutely...and agreed, for the majority, that means playing more than just high school ball.

F
goal
goal
F
Craig,

Amy Davis and Emily Wentzky both played club for at least 3-4 consecutive years before opting not to play, I coached each of them for two years. True, they did not play all the way through high school, but I think we are looking to find HS players who made an impact but NEVER played ANY club. Apparantly the BC and Chapin players listed played club for a number of years and then took time off. Hard to find a girl who is very competitive at the HS level and has never had any club training.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard