Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
C
Coach
Coach
C
That said, do I encourage that player and all of the others to take advantage of club and other opportunities to raise their skill levels further? Of course. There will always be a player or two or three who has the athletic ability and work ethic to make an impact with or without the "extra." A team who can win at the highest levels, however, needs an entire roster of players who are willing to do whatever it takes to reach that level, and for the vast majority, that means more than a couple of months per year of high school practice and games.

I've got good news and bad news...
goal kick
goal kick
success in anything is tied to the personal pursuit of excellence,
club ball is part of the process, a big part for most kids.

However, you're overlooking a bunch of Hispanic kids that don't play club ball and are very good players. They've learned the game from age 3 and play vs adults all the time.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Coach Chass:
I stand corrected, your right about the keeper position.

Farkas:
The hispanic kids are starting to make an impact on HS soccer. The hispanic kids have excellent skills but seem to lack the overall team concept if not exposed to club soccer.

goal kick
goal kick
I can't argue with that. But I wonder if the style of play they learn stresses more individual skills and 1 v 1 play instead of passing as soon as or before you're under pressure?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Here is a new can of worms to open and maybe get yelled at for not being directly relevant, but I see one HUGE thing missing in this whole discussion from my point of view

Where is the fun and caring about the individual kids?

Would the kids/parents prefer to have a coach that included fun and caring as part of a complete quality coaching experience or is that a non-factor? Not advocating for Bozo the clown to become coach of the year, (although I do think I saw his cousin on the sideline at a tournament here recently) but for most kids and people, what’s the point if in the end it is not fun in some way-shape-form!

Oh-- and while we did not make it to Stone THIS year, I do have a non-club playing impact player on my roster too!

tk

Tony King
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Sure, Hispanics tend to play a different style witch does stress more 1 V 1. Ask any boy playing HS and or club soccer, and most complain about trying to mesh the different styles of play.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Stumpduck:
Winning is fun.
The HS coaches and players I know hate to lose. Show me a coach or player who likes to lose and I'll show you a loser.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
The kids that held that championship trophy over their heads looked like they were having a good time...Where is the sense of accomplishment if we don't strive to get better? We expect our kids to do the best they can in the classroom and it's not always fun but when they pass they have a sense of accomplishment.Why should we expect less on the field? Should you hold a program back because a few are not having fun? Maybe they are not where they need to be..

world cup
world cup
sweet,

I beg to differ. Winning is very SATISFYING. There is a great deal of PRIDE in winning.

But winning is not always FUN. There is a ton of hard work and personal sacrafice that goes into winning. Take any 4A program that makes the final 8 or the final 4 and my guess is that it's a heckuva lot more HARD WORK than FUN!

(Those training sessions and conditioning programs are no place for Bozo The Clown!)

Last edited by Hurst66; 05/26/08 09:25 PM.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hurst is correct that it does become hard for most to be a part of a winning program..Ask the players if they would rather work less and lose more..The satisfaction comes from the thrill of the win..A sense of accomplishment!!

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard