Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
goal
goal
I have never heard of Luke Berson in my life, besides the fact he is playing at USC. Is this kid any good?

S
throw in
throw in
S
From what I've heard, he has ONLY played on his father's teams from YMCA to present and no ODP. Who knows, but is does sound suspect. I wonder if the AD is aware?

S
throw in
throw in
S
clemsonsoccer07: i completly agree with you in the fact that a kid who has alot of talent and skill should be more diserving than some of his club players. taking some of these players takes away scholarships for others who are more diserving but i think berson is a great coach

goal
goal
I don't think he's bashing anybody. This is a great point!!!!

A SHARK ATE ME YES THEY DESERVE TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Why does anyone assume these four guys are taking scholarships from anyone or even getting scholarships? Perhaps these young men do well academically in high school and are getting academic scholarships. You know they do only get about 11 scholarships for soccer. Look at the rest of the recruits Coach Berson signed, some are franchise players. It does seem like bashing for the sake of it. Instead of just trashing the recruits why not talk about who you think should have been recruited.

dhunter #105720 05/27/08 02:12 PM
P
kick off
kick off
P
I've played his son. Big player, not USC-caliber by any stretch of the imagination.

World Cup
World Cup
you know they do only get about 11 scholarships for soccer.

9.9 scholarships for NCAA Division I men's soccer

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
I highly doubt that Luke and Ross, the Goalkeeper from Hammond are getting any type of soccer scholarship money to play at USC. They are probably going to be getting plenty of academic money and are most likely both going to be on the team as "preferred" walk-ons. If either of them are getting money than that is a shame for the plenty of other more deserving (as far as soccer talent goes) young men. Although I'm sure it is very hard to find a player like Danny Cates, who combines the great talent with the hard work in the classroom.

Brace
Brace
It would nice to see state schools have x % of in-state players, especially with soccer being a non-revenue producing sport.

C
bench
OP Offline
bench
C
Quote:

no i don't care what you think because you're not interested in discussing- you're about bashing and taking shots at berson's son and other players from his club team. my question to you was - why do you care about who berson recruits? maybe your guys weren't interested in USC.

Not interested in discussing? Let me put it to you this way, (see what I did there) you didn't present anything to discuss. I'd be more than happy to have an open discussion with anyone who would like to discuss the different reasons Berson may have made these decisions. Is it political? Are they finicially based? These are questions that I asked and shared my opinions on and because this is an open forum, people have also shared their opinions. You simply responded telling my to stick to clemson soccer.

As far as these kids receiving money to play, I guess we really don't know. I do agree that if these kids are receiving and scholarship money than it makes this even more absurd. If they really aren't receiving any money are these kids still the right choice? I know atleast a number of kids who would have taken a spot on USC with no money rather than receiving a small amount of money from an in-state or out of state private institution. Were there really 0 other more talented kids that would have taken those spots for free (assuming these kids aren't getting any money)?

I'm not simply basing for the sake of it. I feel that there is an injustice and I'm going to voice my opinion about it. This is a Division 1 program, not some U-12 girls teams. These men are now D1 athletes and Berson is a respected D1 coach. Is anyone coddling Spurrier when he makes a bad decision or when Blake Mitchell has a bad game and is attacked by the media? I just don't think it's fair for USC to make these claims that it is looking more at in-state players and offering more spots than in the past, then go and pull this behind the scenes stuff where the four kids with spots all played on his club team.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard