Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
goal
OP Offline
goal
H
Here

I counted 38 select teams in the U-13 to U-18 age groups. I believe that's an increase of nine teams from last year. Good work CUFC.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Not bad for a "social soccer club" led by a gym teacher and a t-shirt salesman.

S
coach
coach
S
First of all...congratulations to CUFC on the accomplishment.

Secondly, who referred to CUFC as a "social soccer club?"

M
brace
brace
M
Great job Columbia United on bringing so many new players into the club/game.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
A
throw in
throw in
A
Yes, very well done Columbia United.

This may actually mean there is another way to become successful in SC and not be named CESA.

Keep up the good work.

goal
goal
Quote:

Yes, very well done Columbia United.

This may actually mean there is another way to become successful in SC and not be named CESA.

Keep up the good work.

Competition will only raise the bar for the State
Well done.

Last edited by RedandBlack; 05/28/08 06:11 PM.

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
corner kick
corner kick

Quote:

Hmmm how do you know there are new players when only numbers are posted on the website ??

S
throw in
throw in
S
The numbers speak for themselves. In prior years there has been only one or two teams per age grou. Unless these past players have cloned themselves, then there are "New" players coming into the club. Simple math.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

First of all...congratulations to CUFC on the accomplishment.

Secondly, who referred to CUFC as a "social soccer club?"

Sorry for the "misquote" but upon further research the term was that CUFC was "country club" soccer by that Upstate MENSA society member LocDog in the thread about CESA Summerville (how CUFC got in that discussion is another question). I had remembered the term "social soccer" thrown around so much by some members of this board (in the past mostly) in regards to Columbia soccer--maybe that is why it stuck in my head.

In any event, well done by CUFC and Coach Phil Savitz and
Tripp Miller for a well conducted tryout week. Let's hope these numbers translate to further success for the club.

throw in
throw in
Have other clubs announced their rosters? Wonder if any kids on these CUFC teams tried out with other clubs? Last year several kids who had previously played with CUFC also tried out with CESA - anybody hear of that happening this year?

S
coach
coach
S
socdad: Thanks...I just honestly didn't understand. While there are aspects of the creation of CUFC (the SCYSA ruling) that some (me!) have railed against, it seems clear to me that in on-going operations CUFC is the antithesis of "social soccer." As I've said again and again, they are only the second soccer club in the state that offer a good chance of higher level competitive soccer regardless of age or gender (i.e., regardless of team.) Creating a deeper pool per age group and gender seems like it can only help in that.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
I find it interesting that so many players want to play for a "C" team or lower. What's up with that? Who's going to coach the lower teams?

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
That is the mentality that keeps "C" team players from playing and getting better so that they have a chance to play on an "A" or "B" team. CUFC has introduced a development program for the academy that recognizes potential "C" players early and gives them a chance to develop before moving to the select environment. I don't understand the kid(probably more the parent) that won't play unless he's on the "A" team. The list of coaches for all teams is listed on the CUFC website.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

I find it interesting that so many players want to play for a "C" team or lower. What's up with that? Who's going to coach the lower teams?

Interesting to note that these teams will be playing against the best other clubs have to offer(Their 'A' teams). Columbia United FC has several outstanding leaders willing to coach at all levels so SOCCER can be unified in South Carolina. I am proud to have my daughter be given the opportunity to play and be coached by a Columbia United FC coach! Also she was unwilling to try-out for any other club.

H
brace
brace
H
during our time with north carolina soccer i saw clubs with 5 teams in one age group. being on a lower team may still be better than rec if a coach can be found. a kid can learn and improve and have a chance to move up.when you have that many kids sometimes one gets over looked in tryouts.maybe he or she is new to the club and gets put on a c team.during the year playing the club will see him or her and they can move up. i wouldnt pay club type of money if the coaching is not there for a 5th team.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm how do you know there are new players when only numbers are posted on the website ??

I guess it depends on the definition of "new". By numbers only it appears that many of the players are "new" to CUFC since there are more teams rostered than last year. But whether these numbers reflect actual "new" players to club soccer is difficult to determine. You would have to compare numbers for other Midlands clubs to see whether there is a net gain/loss of players--it is my assumption that the other clubs have held steady or increased (Cesa-Columbia in it's third year of existence will have most likely increased their numbers) so hopefully the number of total soccer players in the Midlands will have increased.

That research is beyond my level of expertise (or interest for that matter). Anyway, more players exposed to the game, the better for all of the soccer community.

S
throw in
throw in
S
I think what you see at CUFC try-outs in the u-16 and 17 age group is there are alot of High school players who are good athletes playing soccer now and they want to stick with playing soccer year round. So being on a team even if its on the classic team will give them the opportunity to develope their foot skills and become a better player when they step on the field for their high school. And CUFC as the qualified coaches to help them.

hat-trick
hat-trick
At least eight select "C-teams" and "D-teams" at Columbia United have been assigned C license level or higher coaches. Four of these have B licensed coaches and one has an A licensed coach.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Just a curious question.... Did SCYSA change the rules on tryouts?

I thought if the team was still engaged in the USYSA for the year you were not allowed to hold tryouts?

I see some of the teams in regionals in June had tryouts???

H
goal
OP Offline
goal
H
I looked at the Admin Manual and the Rules and didn't see anything like that. I know CUFC had tryouts that included age-groups with teams going to Regionals, as did CESA. At CUFC, I understand that final team selections (as distinguished from a pool) won't be made until after Regionals for those teams going to Regionals. That makes sense for a number of reasons, but I don't know that the rules require it.

S
coach
coach
S
CESA has always in my memory had tryouts for teams that were involved in regionals during the normal tryout times set for the club.

I've also seen the announcement of the team done both ways (before and after regionals) at CESA; there are pros and cons to both.

CUFC once got erroneous information about the rules regarding allowing players from another club on a team involved in regional play to try out for another team and disallowed a player a tryout; however, the root cause of that was an off-the-cuff verbal ruling by the SCYSA that it was illegal that then two days later became a verbal ruling that it was legal. Since that time there's been no confusion of which I'm aware.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard