Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
P
kick off
kick off
P
Quote:

So I'm hoping that TH and Flemming do "walk away" cleanly from this.

Ditto, lets bring ' em home. Best wishes SSC.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I would not have any problems with them leaving..after all the vote did not go their way..One encouraging note is that out of 129 votes..81 was on their side..If it was a 50/50 vote the kids would of won..It is a situation that could be won over time if Andrew decided to give it chance and win some parents over the next year..Or I guess it's back to the drawing board..

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

The Bylaws and Constitution changes failed to obtain a 2/3 supermajority vote of the SSC members present by six votes.

Several ironies:

1) The Bylaws changes (governing issues) would have likely passed with 90%+ of the vote. The SSC Board forced an up or down vote on ALL changes which means SSC will continue to be governed by an unwieldy 13 member board despite the fact that the vast vast majority of members wanted to streamline club government.

2.) The Constitution changes (name and colors) would have very likely passed if CESA would have compromised on the proposed color change as it did compromise on the proposed name change. CESA-Summerville retaining blue over red would have won. CESA would not bend on the color red for marketing reasons (i.e., "branding").

3.) When the meeting started, more than 2/3 of the members present appeared to support the changes. I myself was leaning in the direction of voting yes despite misgivings about the Board forcing an up or down vote on all the changes. Then, a few folks asked some very pertinent questions that the Board members clearly had not contemplated. When the Board members looked startled and even a bit confused, Andrew Hyslop decided to start talking. Several members told me after the vote that it was Hyslop's condescending tone that actually caused them to change their mind to a "no" vote.

Notwithstanding the clumsy, ham-handedness of the whole process (and the heavy-handedness of forcing one up or down vote), all of the changes would have very very likely passed if someone else from CESA (Pearse Tormey or Andrew Fleming) had been the voice and face of CESA at the meeting. Suffice to say that Hyslop is no diplomat.

One of the things the Board revealed at the meeting is that CESA can back out of the 3 year management contract for any reason on 72 hours notice. If Tormey and Hyslop want to stay, the can run SSC for 3 years absent malfeasance or insubordination. If they want to pull up stakes, they can do it this weekend.

oldskoolpinewood,
I have known Hyslop for a few years now but have only had coversations with him on a few occasions when it concerned my daughters team or the recruitment process she is in. This is just my opinion but i have never seen him to be condesending or rude as you have stated. Maybe what some of you have perceived as condesending was actually straight forwardness and honesty.I have never seen him pull any punches but if you want someone to be honest and tell you exactly what he means and how he means it then that is him. You said if Tormey or Flemming spoke it may have been different. I feel sure they would of given the same info Hyslop did. If all of you made decisions about your kids soccer future on someone seeming condesending then i hate it for you. Maybe he just did not say what all of you wanted him to say. He is no yes man. My first experience with Andrew was my daughters first year trying out at cesa. He gathered all the parents up from each age group and told everyone that "if your kid is on a premier team going to reginals and you do not make the team you want this year and you back out of reginals then you will not play for cesa". I knew then i would like it at cesa because a bunch of parents would not run the club.it has not always been smooth sailing at cesa but it has been more good than bad.
You all may have made the right decision by not voting for cesa. You will not know for awhile. One thing is for sure. With cesa's track record you may have made the wrong decision.
Summerville is a great area with great people. My brother lives over in jetburg. My first taste of sticky fingers was in Summerville. My oldest has played in summerville many times with club,tournys and odp and we always enjoy coming down there.Good luck and i hope everything works out for Summerville soccer.

S
coach
coach
S
Jim: I'll have to admit, I got a smile out of the phrase "Suffice to say that Hyslop is no diplomat." I'd put it differently -- Hyslop (and Tormey) are a Bolton or Kirkpatrick type of diplomat rather than a Carter type of diplomat.

When I served on the board with them, the most refreshing thing about TH was the complete lack of bullcrap. We didn't always agree, but there was never any hiding behind platitudes -- if there was a problem, then the problem was addressed head on without the platitudes and evasions you see in so many non-profits.

The SSC board made a decision on a radical change of direction for SSC. It was put to a vote. I don't believe that the members of SSC who voted against it are stupid enough to have done so because of a name or color change. The underlying tension between the board and the membership is over whether radical change is needed. I can't think of anyone better than TH in helping lead radical change -- and I can't think of anyone worse at trying to make some half-rear-ended changes. These aren't half-rear-ended kind of guys.

B
throw in
throw in
B
Soccer in the Lowcountry shoots itself in the foot yet again. Why is it the closer to the coast you get the more egos there are?

O
throw in
throw in
O
Quote:

Jim: I'll have to admit, I got a smile out of the phrase "Suffice to say that Hyslop is no diplomat." I'd put it differently -- Hyslop (and Tormey) are a Bolton or Kirkpatrick type of diplomat rather than a Carter type of diplomat.

When I served on the board with them, the most refreshing thing about TH was the complete lack of bullcrap. We didn't always agree, but there was never any hiding behind platitudes -- if there was a problem, then the problem was addressed head on without the platitudes and evasions you see in so many non-profits.

The SSC board made a decision on a radical change of direction for SSC. It was put to a vote. I don't believe that the members of SSC who voted against it are stupid enough to have done so because of a name or color change. The underlying tension between the board and the membership is over whether radical change is needed. I can't think of anyone better than TH in helping lead radical change -- and I can't think of anyone worse at trying to make some half-rear-ended changes. These aren't half-rear-ended kind of guys.

Here's the deal: Hyslop took a very "my way or the highway" approach at the meeting. That may work in Greenville - a textile mill town that despite A LOT OF VERY POSITIVE changes in the last 20 years still looks up to a Yankee plutocrat like Roger Milliken like he's some sort of God. That's not how it works in the Lowcountry.

I spent four years in God's Country (Pickens County) and still today spend every available weekend in the Blue Ridge mountains about 45 minutes north of Furman. Northern Greenville County and western Dorchester County (the Edisto River) are two of my favorite places on the planet. But what works in Greenville is not necessarily going to work in Summerville and vice-versa. In Greenville, the boss man and the preacher man still rule most every detail of a lot of folks' lives. In some ways, it's amazing Summerville and Greenville are even in the same state. Down here, we are very independent to the point of being rebellious. We started an incredibly bloody 4 year civil war for no particular reason (we were bored with the standoff and tired of looking at union troops in the harbor so we just started a little artillery fire to see what would happen). That didn't work out so well. Maybe not agreeing to wear red jerseys (which really was the last issue of contention on which CESA would not bend) will be the death knell of soccer in the Lowcountry. I sort of doubt it.

My point is that CESA and SSC were on the precipice of reaching a very radical agreement. Obviously, Tormey and Hyslop were going to benefit from the agreement. You would have thought that Hyslop would have been on his best behaviour at the meeting. If you can't smile and be pleasant to people while at the same time being completely truthful and straight-forward, then folks are going to think you are arrogant if not downright full of contempt for them. Its not that hard to be pleasant while speaking the truth.

corner kick
corner kick
old pine dude,

I think you are living in a vacuum in the Summerville. Greenville is not anything like what you are stating. I believe you are upset that an outsider was brought in to right the ship. If you dislike Greenville this much then stay in Summerville with your so called southern buddies. In Greenville the southern people listen and embrace change when it will benefit the kids playing soccer.

I hope Summerville can change a become a club where kids can play soccer at the level the choose and not that of their parents choosing.

By the way Roger's business is in Spartanburg.

H
brace
brace
H
someone correct me here on oldpineheads history lesson.who in summerville started the war between the states.that was a heck of a cannon shot from there to ft sumter.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Marcus - you need to re-read my post. Northern Greenville county is one of my favorite places on the planet. I spend almost every available weekend there. Greenville has changed dramatically in the last 20 years - all for the better. When I was at Clemson with Pearse Tormey, downtown Greenville was no-man's land. The whole county was literally dying as textile mill after textile mill closed. I am well aware that Milliken's HQ is in Sparkle City. I also know that his influence over Greenville is immense. Without him, no airport and no BMW. I am not sure where Greenville would be without old Roger but he still is a Yankee plutocrat and not a God.

For the record, the first shots of the Civil War were probably fired by Citadel cadets on the Star of the West. The first shots on Ft. Sumter were fired by Charlestonians. Summerville was literally a "summer village" founded by Charlestonians in the 1840s. Its first year-round residents were refugees fleeing the Bombardment of Charleston in the 1860s. In Summerville, we are the "country cousins" of Charlestonians. Though we may not always care for our city cousins downtown, we have much more in common with them than we have with the upstate.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with soccer. My point is this: if CESA had bothered to recognize the vast differences between Greenville and Summerville, they probably could have "won the vote" last night. This begs the question: is there any guarantee that the "CESA model" would work in the Lowcountry? The answer is no, there is no guarantee. It may well work, but it might not. So why not allow CESA an opportunity to make it work for a year or so before changing the SSC Constitution? The answer to that appears to be that Hyslop might not be quite so confident after all - that he wanted the Constitution changes in advance just in case he couldn't quite make it work down here. As somebody said last night, CESA "wanted a shotgun wedding when nobody was pregnant."

world cup
world cup
CESA "wanted a shotgun wedding when nobody was pregnant."

That's pretty funny!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard