Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
mpheel #105989 06/01/08 12:17 AM
world cup
world cup
I'm not knocking CESA or any other successful super-club program that's out there. In fact, CESA should be commended for their CAPS program, and their ability to get teams into CASL Shootout, Disney Showcase, etc.

But getting kids in front of college coaches generally starts somewhere around U-16. There are a lot of South Carolina kids out there who go on to play at the college level, who honed their skills, from U-8 to U-15, at various clubs throughout the state.

Congratulations to all of those clubs, and hats off to the talented trainers and coaches who are able to teach the necessary skills to children at such a young age. These are the men and women who build the foundation that enables the gifted (and hard-working) players to move up to the next level.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
D
Goal
Goal
D
Only for the sake of accuracy regarding CESA and the tournaments its teams attend... of the three major tournaments mentioned so far in this discussion (WAGS, CASL Shootout and Disney Showcase) CESA only sends teams to Disney. It was a management decision made about three years ago.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[Coach Chass] So...perhaps the BEST leadership for a club like SSC would be a person, or a group, that knows and understands the culture and the pride involved--Oldskoolpinewood has elaborated on this fairly well--and also understands the necessary steps and practices to increase the quality of experience for the players; someone who can move the club toward its goals while still allowing the stakeholders to keep a sense of identity and personal pride.<<

I've said it repeatedly on this thread...while I may not agree with the choice that the non-super-majority (the super-minority?) made, I respect the decision. The flip side of this is living with the consequences of your decision. Asking Tormey, Hyslop, and Fleming to do your bidding after you've rejected their terms seems -- well -- representative of the entitlement mentality that is so rife in our society today.

mpheel #105992 06/01/08 11:44 AM
S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

In regards to putting kids in front of college scouts. Cesa doesn't seem to place anymore kids in college programs than CUFC, Mt Pleasant Soccer, and Bridge FA. Anyone have statistics that would apply?

I don't have statistics for this year. However, for several years now it's not been very close -- CESA has placed many more kids in college programs and when you start looking at Division 1 programs it's even more pronounced (note: I limited to division 1 only because the sample set was easier to handle.) If I remember correctly it was more even on the boys side and not even close on the girls side. I published something examining all division 1 programs in the state a few years ago (predating CUFC, which is still relatively new in terms of making a program-level impact on this.)

Anecdotally, take a look at the rosters of the various division 1 programs in the state. CofC, Furman, Clemson, USC, PC, etc.

Also anecdotally, this is the reason that even with very strong coaches in next year's CUFC U18G group (both A and B teams) you still see some selected migration up to CESA.

I do think CUFC is not only second here, but is making great strides for a very young club.

S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

Only for the sake of accuracy regarding CESA and the tournaments its teams attend... of the three major tournaments mentioned so far in this discussion (WAGS, CASL Shootout and Disney Showcase) CESA only sends teams to Disney. It was a management decision made about three years ago.

To further increase the accuracy here, note that my use of these tournaments was only as examples of why you might use branding and names to make it even easier to get into leading tournaments, i.e., I wasn't listing the tournaments that CESA attended, I was listing the tournaments that CESA can easily attend if they have that desire.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
let a handful not speak for all..Out of 120 something votes...81 had open minds and this was only the members that showed up..so I guess we would have to say that most don't care and second most had open minds and the smallest number 46 said no..

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

let a handful not speak for all..Out of 120 something votes...81 had open minds and this was only the members that showed up..so I guess we would have to say that most don't care and second most had open minds and the smallest number 46 said no..

seems like most of that 46 are on this site.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Good to know CESA could "easily attend" tournaments "if they had the desire." Are you kidding with that statement?

If CESA is a top club, with a CAP program that is suppose to put their female players in front of college coaches, why not attend a combination of WAGS, CASL, Las Vegas, Jefferson Cup, PDA and Houston on a consistent basis? These are where a large number of coaches appear yet CESA only attended Disney and, to no surprise due to not being used to the competition, didn't fare too well. Get out in the world and develop these players!

I guess the aspirations are to be just a top South Carolina club in a weak R3PL division and only put players in front of South Carolina colleges because that is what the facts are stating.

H
brace
brace
H
you ever been on a casl field? worst fields in the country. casl is not like it use to be.
wags is a lot of money to go get rained out at.happened 2 years in a row.
while at disney there were a lot of coaches on the sideline watching them not far to well.
you said to "get out in the world and develop these players" where may i ask do you want them to go?

a top sc club in a weak RIII divsion is right.where is your club at? please let us know.i bet you are not willing to tell us.

world cup
world cup
k70,

Why go to Vegas, Jersey and Houston? How many South Carolina girls would want to (or need to) go out of state? If you are THAT good of a player, that you would attract the attention of D1 college coaches in the northeast, south or west (at one of these tournaments), you have probably already caught the eye of coaches at USC, Clemson, Furman and College of Charleston. With the financial incentives to stay in-state, why would a young lady want to go 700 miles away to play?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard