Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

The question isn't how many tournaments CESA decides to attend (the direction you took this in); instead, it's how many tournaments you can gain entrance into.

Now -- it's a valid argument to debate whether and how this would extend to another club -- but it just seems silly to ignore the difference between the tournaments a club can get admission to versus the tournaments a club actually attends.

Absolutely correct. There is a huge difference between opportunity and actuality.

So, in this case, when being managed by the folks whose name creates these opportunites also means being managed by the same folks who choose not to participate in them...

...explain to me again how this translates into an advantage to the players?

Forgive me, honored Shibumi-san...my understanding is flawed.

I've got good news and bad news...
world cup
world cup
Coach Chass,

I wouldn't be too concerned about wasting the parents' time and money to go to Orlando, Vegas or Houston. Take the teams to a tournament in Charlotte. The Summerville girls seem to have a successful pipeline to Wingate. That will satisfy your D2 players. Your D1 candidates can get seen in-state by USC, Clemson, Furman, C of C, Upstate, Winthrop, Coastal, etc.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Brace
Brace
The Summerville girls seem to have a successful pipeline to Wingate.

That's because they go to camp at Wingate.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
C
Coach
Coach
C
Hurst, I think you're right...there was just much being made about having the opportunity to do so.

world cup
world cup
Hammer,

Right on! No doubt the best way for a youth soccer player to make an impression on a college coach! Much better than rolling the dice at Vegas. Pick a school you are interested in and attend the camp!

Kudos to the S'ville girls who take the initiative.

(By the way, nice piece on the Summerville Boys Basketball team on ESPN today.)

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

cht: I in no way mean it as a slam on anyone. It's just that a lot of the arguments being made didn't make sense. Trading out what's best for your children in the name of names and colors would be dumb. And since I could construct (and did on this message board) a logical argument for renaming and rebranding, I didn't understand how intelligent and reasonable people could be coming to such a different conclusion.

I guess that would depend on exactly what parents think is "best" for their children, and what lesson they are trying to teach them. Just because you don't understand the thinking behind something, that doesn't necessarily make it "dumb."

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. " --Marcus Aurelius

(my thanks to the former Jim Morrison for reminding me of M.A.--he's a wealth of wisdom!)

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

The decision of CESA to attend Disney as its sole "prestige" tournament doesn't mean that SSC wouldn't want to be able to attend one or more equal or lesser "prestige" tournaments.

Shibumi... Would any of SSC's "want to" on any level have been heard after a vote of "yes"? Apparently, a significant portion of those voting weren't so sure. (Thanks for the link, I'll continue the general tournament/recruiting discussion there.)

Hurst... I admire your efforts to keep the players in state, and agree that SC colleges can provide a variety of excellent opportunities to play at the next level. However, Miss Sheets is still headed to West Point, Miss Maxwell is still headed to Ohio State and after next year Miss Tate will be headed to play for the current national champions at USC. Three schools located not only outside of SC, but outside of Region III entirely.

world cup
world cup
DeltaDog,

I'll give you Ashleigh Sheets. From what I understand, initial contact with Army was made as a result of attending Disney. (She was on her way to join two former FM teammates at Clemson prior to the coaching change).

How did Maxwell and Tate garner the attention of OSU and the "other SC"?

D
Goal
Goal
D
As I understand it USC first saw Tate at the national ODP training camp in California. USC decided to expand its recruiting area and saw her again at this past Disney.

I'm not familiar with the evolution of Miss Maxwell's recruitment.

kick off
kick off
Welcome to Low Country Soccer where it's more important what color you wear and whom your ride with to practice than the development of your childs soccer. Where politics rule and parents can control the game.

We have plenty of soccer professionals and great players in the Low Country to be successful without CESA. What we don't have is a parental or community attitude to what is best for the soccer players. We continue to dilute our teams with too many clubs. We educate our soccer players the same way we educate schoolastically, to the lowest common denominator. Every kid is not an honors student and every kid is not an elite soccer player and until the parents realize this and the politicians realize this, we will continue to water down Honors education and Elite soccer programs. The Low Country as a whole has enough players and students to fill class rooms and pitches with players and students that qualify for a certain class or team. If we don't unifie the effort we continue to have players and students left behind at the highest and the weakest levels of both.

The results in our SAT testing and tournaments over the past 10 years should be a testament to that!!!!

ROSS!!! For no reason!
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard