Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#106182 06/04/08 06:32 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
How long does it take for a club coach to break his players of any bad habits they picked up during HS soccer? Also, getting back to a different style of play?

sweet feet #106183 06/04/08 06:59 PM
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
hmmmmmmm......

What if the HS coach is ALSO the club coach..... how long does it take the club to break the coach of his bad habits.....?

Then, come next spring... how long does it take the HS coach to break the players of bad habits picked up during club season.......

Very Chicken and Egg if you ask me.......

tk

Tony King
Tony King #106184 06/04/08 08:25 PM
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

hmmmmmmm......

What if the HS coach is ALSO the club coach..... how long does it take the club to break the coach of his bad habits.....?

Then, come next spring... how long does it take the HS coach to break the players of bad habits picked up during club season.......

tk

is that a joke coach? im sure it is.

hey sweet,im in circuit city

Hard Headed #106185 06/04/08 08:29 PM
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

hmmmmmmm......

tk

is that a joke coach? im sure it is.

hey sweet,im in circuit city

MA - Why would that be a joke? There are lots of high school coaches that coach some of their players in club. Or are you saying that club players don't ever pick up bad habits before they come back to their hs team? Things like "I'm better than you, because I play club" and other prima donna syndromes. It happened on my girls team several times. One time it was her! One of those life lessons WE had to learn.

Victory Starts Here!
sweet feet #106186 06/04/08 08:32 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

How long does it take for a club coach to break his players of any bad habits they picked up during HS soccer? Also, getting back to a different style of play?

Y'know...people ask questions like that (on the high school forum, no less, rather than the club forum) and then wonder why high school coaches don't have a better attitude toward club.

More on target with the "different styles of play" though...a lot of what a coach may consider "bad habits" may simply be habits that fit one coach's style of play better than another's. What will work with one system won't necessarily work with all.

To answer the question (assuming it was a real question and not just an attempt to rile up the high school coaches),how long it takes to change a player's habits ("good" and "bad" are subjective) depends a lot on how good the coach is and now much trust the players put in him/her.

I've got good news and bad news...
Tony King #106187 06/04/08 08:35 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

If you're talking about me, TK, they haven't managed yet!

Coach Chass #106188 06/04/08 08:47 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

If you're talking about me, TK, they haven't managed yet!

BAD HABITS...I don't think it's bad habits, it's exposing the players to different styles of play. They learn more variations to the game. I see it as WIN-WIN for players HS and CLUB.

SV-Dad #106189 06/04/08 08:57 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Agreed...never hurts a player to learn something different, especially if they learn to change their play to fit the situation instead of always doing the same thing whether it works or not!

Coach Chass #106190 06/04/08 09:24 PM
F
goal kick
goal kick
F
I have an example of one of the players I coached in club several years ago. She was one of the few club players on her JV team and was by the best. She could dribble through defenders all day long at that level of competition.

It was a headache trying to get her to release the ball early when she came back to club. A couple of hard tackles in a physical game; telling her it was basically her fault for holding onto the ball too long, and she was mostly cured.

fan01 #106191 06/04/08 10:14 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Yep...and again, different tactics for different situations. Holding the ball was probably a successful tactic in one situation (releasing it might have equated with giving it away, and passing to someone less able to keep possession might have been a "bad habit" when holding it equals getting it through), but at a different level of play, holding it too long was the "bad habit" when she was surrounded by support that could spread the defense and create opportunity.

I think the BEST habit players can learn is to assess the situation and adjust accordingly...if passing isn't working and you can dribble through, hold it, but if dribbling isn't working and you have passing options, use 'em. Never hurts to give them several different tricks in their arsenal if they can learn which is appropriate for what situation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard