Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Coach Young #106234 06/05/08 01:40 AM
H
brace
brace
H
im sure there are kids who's parents pay the money just to say their kid goes to a place like that and the kid does not have the skill that you may think he or she has with that IMG tag beside their name.
i also think that an athletic and skilled soccer player can get better faster at a IMG type place because instead of getting 3 hrs a week of soccer you are getting atleast 4 hrs a day.you also get the soccer classroom time going over the different aspects of the game that most kids at any club will not get.a kid at IMG may still not be better skill wise than a player at a club but their knowlege of the game and how to play the game will be better. im sure there is a lot of chalkboard time on positioning at a place like IMG.

sweet feet #106235 06/05/08 03:19 AM
throw in
throw in
I agree with Sweet Feet on this issue. I have toured IMG (the soccer portion, anyway)and it is very much like a boarding school, with half day school and the afternoons for training. I also think what the player gets out of IMG will depend on what they put into it, and what their motives are for wanting to go there. If a player is absolutely obsessed about soccer playing/training then that player will be given the opportunity to thrive in that type of environment. My daughter has wanted to attend IMG every since she found out last summer at ODP camp that they also train girls. She will attend IMG next Fall, her Senior year, and believes that she is sacrificing nothing on the social level and has everything to gain by making the change. That is not to say that she won't miss her club and Wando High school teammates, because she will, but her drive to work on her game is so strong that she is sure she is making the right choice. She has already verbally committed to a D1 SEC school, so her focus is more on working on her individual weak areas than on exposure to colleges, etc., There is also something to be said for the mental training (especially for the GK position) and the fact that all training is contained in one area instead of running up and down the road several hours weekly, as we have done year after year for club training. Last fall she spent an average of 5-6 hours of week driving to and from club training, which she felt was "dead time". Again, I am not advocating that IMG would be a good "fit" for every soccer player - in fact, that is why you have to pass an interview before you are accepted - but for some it may be the best environment.

Coach Chass #106236 06/05/08 11:40 AM
P
kick off
kick off
P
Hey Chass, do I smell a Bond-like script coming? Maybe you could re-wirte the new Indiana Jones movie to incorporate the saving of this little girl (I imagine her at six years old), eliminate the alien factor and make it worth the nine dollars I spent going to see it. Not soccer-related, but still . . .

PHPPPF #106237 06/05/08 12:06 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Hmm...maybe even blend in a little Harry Potter, where she gets shipped off to a Stalin-esque military version of Hogwart's to learn mad magic soccer skills...only it's a plot by the aliens to feed off their gladitorial-style matches for their own energy consumption needs and vicarious experience.

She's rescued by a fedora-sporting local high school/club coach who teaches her that the team-building, sportsmanship, and work ethic lessons she can learn in sports will translate into more areas of life than just winning on the field for the glory of their alien masters.

Deprived of their vicarious energy source, the aliens...well, I don't want to give away the ending before I get your nine bucks.

I've got good news and bad news...
Coach Chass #106238 06/05/08 12:58 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
I saw the trailer and this is going to be bigger than "The Incredible Hulk".

Coach Young #106239 06/05/08 01:32 PM
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
This falls in to the "if you cannot say anything nice, don't say anything" category.

BamBam #106240 06/05/08 01:47 PM
I
goal
goal
I
If you read the BIO's of the UNC girls team, ODP comes up a bunch, and good solid clubs. That is about it.

If a kids wants to get to be MLS quality, those 4 hours a day would obviously help.

It is, what It is! #106241 06/05/08 02:04 PM
S
goal
goal
S
IMG has no real magic, the only difference is the quality of facilities and the amount of time the players train. Each player has a specific diet to follow, weight lifting and mental conditioning are all part of the system. The school teachers allow students to make up any work that was missed or late due to any soccer activity. My daughter starts school at 8:00 am and is finished by 10:30. It's amazing how much the teacher can cover without all of the distractions of a normal school. Also not all the typical bs drama of a normal HS, parents don't lay awake waiting for their kids to come home, if they make it home at all. Drug screening is mandatory, that's right no pot, that alone would cripple the local HS soccer scene.

sweet feet #106242 06/05/08 02:13 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Quote:

Drug screening is mandatory, that's right no pot, that alone would cripple the local HS soccer scene.

So HS soccer kids smoke dope? Lots of parents on here that might disagree.

Coach Young #106243 06/05/08 02:18 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

Drug screening is mandatory, that's right no pot, that alone would cripple the local HS soccer scene.

So HS soccer kids smoke dope? Lots of parents on here that might disagree.

Yes, and cigarettes. . .and very common among college athletes as well. . .and pros. . .reportedly rampant in the NBA. . .

And it is typical for parents to think their child is unique among common teen habits. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard