Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I agree with watching more games and discussing tactics, formations, and game scenarios. I don't think those that can watch tv better than others should get more playing time, though. Maybe they can opt out of certain conditioning days or similar things. I could see parents chewing that up and having a field day. I like the rest and can see myself using it.

Chass, how many Ivy League players do you think are in the NFL?

I think the ones who are getting the job done on the field for the good of the whole team should get the playing time at the competitive level--and that doesn't necessarily mean the best individual skills, but rather the one who works best with teammates to generate success. Those who aren't quite getting the job done (and those who are, but could still be better, which is pretty much everyone) have a number of options to improve their level of play. Watching game film and college/professional matches is one way, and is especially effective when it's done in conjunction with coaching. Extra time after practice, individual drills done at home, one-on-one sessions, pick-up games on weekends, head sessions...these are all ways to improve players; some will be more effective for some players than others. Trick is just to figure out what the player needs and find the combination that produces the results on the field; it's not really so much HOW they reach the level of performance, as long as they get there.

(I never understood the math teachers who always said "show your work" and took off points when I got the right answer, just didn't do it THEIR way...)

Ivy League in the NFL? Probably not too many...heck, you don't even have to be a college graduate, just have to excel at the school of hard knocks, right?

I've got good news and bad news...
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

What about filming select games and reviewing them with your team. I know most of the football teams have the equipment. Has any HS soccer team filmed there home games for review?

I have in the past and it's eye opening!!! Hoping to find an active parent to bring it back. I like to count consecutive passes and watch team shape.

brace
brace
Ok, from left field.

We go as a team to as many high school games as we can. I divide the kids into 3-4 teams and:

1) Have them scout Warmups. We shot chart every shot taken by an opposing player in warmups per where they shoot, which foot, strength of kick, etc. We also chart the goalies. If you want to find where a kid naturally kicks a ball, watch warmups. If you want to find a goalie weakness area, watch warmups. Then check your findings in a game. Some teams ever practice PK's in warmups, and that is invaluable to watch and chart.

2) Then, in the game they have a checklist that their "team" discusses the next day at practice. What system, who was the "controller", who was scared, who approached badly on defense, how fast were people. That kind of thing.

3) I have the kids identify one kid on each team we are watching as their "mark". They have to answer several questions such as: Am I faster than them? Whose speed on our team is similar to them? Can they back up quickly? How do they react to long service? How tough are they?
If keeps our kids concentrating on the game and on the kids they may be playing against.

We really didn't have any "intelligence" on opposing teams before this season, but we now have over 40 games scouted and chronicled. Some of the stuff is pretty good. It really opens up holes, lets you plan, etc. Gives the girls a plan, and that always works better.

About Fox Soccer Channel - we have about 8 avid watchers. My daughter will watch Taylor Twellman EVERY second he is on and even during his commercials. She also loves watching the US Women. It works a lot better if you let them know ahead of time when the ladies are playing. We have an email list that I send them "Alerts" on upcoming women's games and try to get the kids to watch together. Free pizza gets a lot accomplished.

Back to NASCAR......

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
My children and I watch soccer for enjoyment..From time to time we will watch everyone else around the ball..This practice has seemed to make my daughter more aware of situations she finds herself in at games..

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 06/08/08 03:32 PM.
world cup
world cup
ROH,

Something tells me that your daughter is watching Taylor Twellman for reason(s) other than observing his soccer skills.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

My children and I watch soccer for enjoyment..From time to time we will watch everyone else around the ball..This practice has seemed to make my daughter more aware of situations she finds herself in at games..

Glad you pointed that out; most people will automatically focus in on the person who has the ball, but for training, it's just as important (if not more important) to see what everyone else is doing and to realize you're part of the play even if you don't touch the ball.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
On FIFA 08 you can watch a computer driven match from all sorts of angles, near or far. I have seen the PS2 game bring many up to speed on rules and mechanics of the game.

There is a mode that lets you practice set pieces all to your design. I really enjoy playing against my son, the game rewards you with smart play returning good results.

There is a way of playing as one player on the pitch the entire match (no switching to the nearest man). It may be more friendly to some who get bored watching a match on TV. They have more interface with this form. Plus it's more fun.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I'll see if I can get a few game consoles on the booster club wish list for next seson...I'm sure we can get those AD-approved!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard