Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
World Cup
World Cup
I "spread the wealth" when choosing an All-Area team. It's not accurate, and neither is All-Region, but it's one more thing to help recognize our girls that play soccer. I'd much rather they have it and be off a tick, than not have it at all. At the end of the year, I would dread one more meeting with all the other coaches driving to some remote place to argue with teams of all classifications over the top players...having just participated in near identical All Region, North South, and Clash of the Carolina's meetings.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

I "spread the wealth" when choosing an All-Area team. It's not accurate, and neither is All-Region, but it's one more thing to help recognize our girls that play soccer. I'd much rather they have it and be off a tick, than not have it at all. At the end of the year, I would dread one more meeting with all the other coaches driving to some remote place to argue with teams of all classifications over the top players...having just participated in near identical All Region, North South, and Clash of the Carolina's meetings.

im not sure i understand exactly what you mean Dale jr when you say you spread the wealth. are you giving awards to players that may not of deserved it more than others but you do it to "spread the wealth"
in the case of Rock Hill there is a young girl that is a 9th grader who plays club in charlotte.she scored most all their goals and by far was the best player RH has.she was not all region,was not all area,and was not even the team MVP.seems like they tried to spread the wealth and she got shafted.
im just trying to get a perspective on how coaches are deciding awards.
my thought is the best players get the awards.you can give out a coaches award for someone being a good kid.

Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 06/10/08 04:00 PM.
Brace
Brace
and she is a PLAYER! Would have been one of the top players on any of the region teams.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

and she is a PLAYER! Would have been one of the top players on any of the region teams.

this is not the first time for RH.until the athletic department starts to take soccer seriously and get someone in there who knows what they are doing the good players/athletes will not play.to bad for the hudgins kid.she is not only a good player but a great kid.

there was also another 9th grader at RH that is a very good player that should of been on this list.she was the second best player on that team.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

im not sure i understand exactly what you mean Dale jr when you say you spread the wealth. are you giving awards to players that may not of deserved it more than others but you do it to "spread the wealth"
in the case of Rock Hill there is a young girl that is a 9th grader who plays club in charlotte.she scored most all their goals and by far was the best player RH has.she was not all region,was not all area,and was not even the team MVP.seems like they tried to spread the wealth and she got shafted.
my thought is the best players get the awards.you can give out a coaches award for someone being a good kid.

All Region picks are voted on by coaches. It takes a lot to get noticed. Sometimes quality players are overlooked as they don't have the stats or they aren't flashy enough. If a player, in my mind, should have made All Region but didn't, I'll push them hard for All Area - thus "Spreading the Wealth". Do you need me to explain further or do you understand now?

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All Region picks are voted on by coaches. It takes a lot to get noticed. Sometimes quality players are overlooked as they don't have the stats or they aren't flashy enough. If a player, in my mind, should have made All Region but didn't, I'll push them hard for All Area - thus "Spreading the Wealth". Do you need me to explain further or do you understand now?

thanks for the explanation.
if you would like you can explain further. i dont mind.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Jr,

Do the coaches from your region actually meet to discuss All-Region? Do you have the ability to trumpet the cause of a player on another team?

I'm not sure that's the case with all regions in the state. I have a feeling that spots are allotted based on how a team finishes in the region standings. Then, it is solely up to the coach on who represents their school on the all-region team.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

thanks for the explanation.
if you would like you can explain further. i dont mind.

I'm just not that smart

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Jr,

Do the coaches from your region actually meet to discuss All-Region? Do you have the ability to trumpet the cause of a player on another team?

I'm not sure that's the case with all regions in the state. I have a feeling that spots are allotted based on how a team finishes in the region standings. Then, it is solely up to the coach on who represents their school on the all-region team.

I've experienced it both via coaches voting (cannot vote for your own) as well as allotted spots based on finish. I prefer the latter.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Coaches voting.....but cannot vote for one of your own players.

Interesting.

I'm not sure enough coaches in a lot of regions even pay attention to the players on the other teams.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard