Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Dumb question......difference between All Region and All Area?

Do the coaches actually pick anything or at least have input?

Great honor for the kids......but I'd like to think the selection was by people who actually watched the games and the kids play.

Based on statistics Katie Kozlowski should be player of the year. While she had a great year....no one is going to begrudge Sheets her award. She was by far the best player up here.

Point is....stats don't really mean squat. Its such an inter-related game.....you have to watch the kids play.

I'd think each coach would submit a nomination for player. I'd also think that a coach would submit a starting 11. Each Region coach would vote for player of the year....and each coach would vote for an all region team....can't vote for yourself or your own players.

Maybe pick 3 forwards, 5 midfielders, 4 backs, and a keeper.

goal kick
goal kick
"Let every eye negotiate for itself And trust no agent; for beauty is a witch Against whose charms faith melteth in blood."

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Interesting points.

Ironic that statistics point in favor of Kozlowski. You and I both know that if Nation Ford didn't split from Fort Mill, Katie Kozlowski would have never even dreamed of playing high school soccer. Great basketball player, recruited to play soccer just so NF could field a varsity team. Ends up leading the region in scoring as a "first-year" junior. Great story.

As for picking the teams, the difference between All-Region and All-Area is that All-Area takes in the newspaper's circulation area. Coaches pick All-Region and the number of spots per team are generally allotted based on how your team finishes in the region. Generally, all coaches respond and nominate players (or a player) for the All-Region team.

The All-Area team is done by the sportswriter at The Herald. He e-mails each coach and asks them to submit nominees. They can generally submit whoever they want. If the coach doesn't respond, the kid doesn't make the team.

The problem with this is that the coaches never come together to discuss the nominees. If the coach of High School A fails to nominate his (or her) best player, and the coaches of High Schools B, C & D think that the snubbed player deserves to be on the team.....they have no say. These coaches don't even see the All-Area team until it is published.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
What is the point in all area?

I think the Herald has done an excellent job in covering high school soccer. Far better than the Charlotte Observer.

But unless their writer(s) is actually going to games and watching....I guess, whats the point? The coaches vote means more.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Daddy,

The coaches votes count for both All-Region and All-Area.

The writer is just polling the coaches.

I agree with your earlier point that All-Area would be more prestigious if it was only comprised of 11 players. That would be a tough team to make!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
And is it fair to have so many 1A and 2A players? That'll get things rolling....

But boys who start on the Discoveries 90 team don't make it and kids from Indian Land or wherever do? Defies logic....

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
There's a girl on Westminister Catawba Christian who could probably make a case for being one of the Top 11 players in York county.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Who's that? Where does she play Club?

H
brace
brace
H
congrats to all that made it but i am sure there are some questions on who coaches nominated and who made it.farkas is not being edgy he is right.here is what i do not understand.

clover finishes second in region and only has two that make it????

as bad as rock hill is they still beat indian land twice.indian land has 3 on the list and rock hill has only 2 ?????

york beats rock hill 2 times but has no one on the list????????????????????????????????

goal kick
goal kick
NO,I was being kind of a jerk talking about college money.
But, my daughter, while not being a "star" player has a superior work ethic and it showed this year. She's out running right now, had a traing session last night, works in the yard every day, is now lifting weights, does 100 crunches in a row easily, took about 6 pk's this year, converted every one, started CM for Clover, team captain.
She's left it on the field.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard