Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Also congratulations to DSC 90 Boys and CESA 89 Boys on getting through to the quarters. If CESA 91 Boys can win or tie tonight SC will have 5 teams in the quarters.

Would love to see some posts from some people who are there to let us know how it's going. How are the fields? How well has the tournament been run (seems like they handled the weather delay well last night)? Has Raleigh been welcoming? What are some of the overall impressions of the tournament in general, the competition? I know the experience must compare favorably with last year's nightmare in Oklahoma City but how does it compare with 2006 in Little Rock? Anyone have any feedback???

Congrats to all the teams who got to make the trip to represent either SC or PL East and hope it was a good experience.

world cup
world cup
Let me know who the CESA 89 and CESA 93 Girls play next, and I'll tell you whether I think they have one more win left in them. I'm pulling for them as I know girls who play on both teams.

Good luck (and I hope the teams you draw next don't end in "TX")!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
CESA 93 Girls play Charlotte Soccer Club 93G.

CESA 89 Girls play BUSA Angels 90 (Alabama). I believe this is the former Mt. Brook Angels from Birmingham area.

throw in
throw in
Hurst:

CESA 89 Girls play BUSA Angel 90 (Alabama State Champs)

CESA 93 Girls play Charlotte Blue 93

Soccer is a game you just have to love!!!!
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Live and Learn...

Bad weather yesterday caused a number of games to get rescheduled. I'm here with the CESA '89 Boys. They were scheduled to to play at WRAL yesterday at 6:00 but the game was delayed until 8:30 and then finally moved to 10:30 pm at the fields in Wilson which are an hour away. They got beat by Solar 4 - 1 and the game didn't get over to 12:15 and we got back to the hotel at 1:45. Hard to believe that the closest fields that were used for these regionals were an hour apart. Fields were nice in Wilson but too far away. We had to return to Wilson for a noon game today. The boys advanced to the Qtr's and play back at WRAL tomorrow. Nice opening ceremonies but the biggest draw back of this whole event is the distance between the two sites...don't care how nice the fields are.

GVLSoccerDad
world cup
world cup
CESA 89's seem to have a favorable draw and should have a great shot at taking out the team from Alabama.

As for the CESA 93 Girls, they have a competitive match. I know they beat CSC Blue in Disney 1-0, (on a goal scored against the run of play) over a year ago. How did they do against CSC Blue in the R3PL? This should be a good one.

Good luck to both CESA teams.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
throw in
throw in
Quote:

Would love to see some posts from some people who are there to let us know how it's going. How are the fields? How well has the tournament been run (seems like they handled the weather delay well last night)? Has Raleigh been welcoming? What are some of the overall impressions of the tournament in general, the competition? I know the experience must compare favorably with last year's nightmare in Oklahoma City but how does it compare with 2006 in Little Rock? Anyone have any feedback???

Congrats to all the teams who got to make the trip to represent either SC or PL East and hope it was a good experience.

Having experienced Raleigh, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, & Plano, hands down Little Rock should host Southern Regionals every year. Their fields are immaculate and well-laid out - it seemed as if a lot of thought went into planning that soccer complex. Except for two of the newest fields, each field was separated by plenty of trees. As I recall, that complex was supported with public money - it wouldn't take too many tournaments the size of Southern Regionals to make a strong case for a hefty return on the public's investment! The town sure rolled out the welcome mat for the teams!

In Raleigh, we traveled almost an hour to get to one of our venues - I thought I'd understood that a requirement for hosting Regionals was having enough fields to have all games at one complex. Gillette fields were nice - at WRAL, we played on artificial turf and one of the nicer grass fields. We've played at WRAL before and, frankly, those grass fields leave a lot to be desired. No doubt they see a lot of use during the year.

I doubt the weather delay last night could have been handled any differently. It made it tough for coaches who had multiple teams playing at Regionals. I spoke to one coach whose team got rescheduled to 10 PM last night - he didn't get in until close to 2 AM this morning and had to be back out for a 9:00 AM start - he wasn't particularly happy. Wouldn't want to be a U19 player, either, as their Saturday games got moved to Monday.

To be fair, Oklahoma City might have been great - but it was all under water the entire time we were there. Scrambling around to re-scheduled high school artificial turf venues was an experience. Gotta say those volunteers were tremendous - they took it all in stride and the high school folks pitched in to help with that situation. They made the best of a really bad situation.

Plano complex had great fields but no shade to speak of. That Texas sun was HOT, too!!! It was a well-run affair...

Hands down, give me Little Rock any day. If any of you ever have a chance to see and experience that complex, it's well worth the trip!

throw in
throw in
I gotta say I saw something at these Regionals I'd never seen before. Player on the Girls U17 Sting Dallas Royal 91 team representing North Texas had the words "BAD A**" written in what looked like a tattoo at the base of the back of her neck. She got into a "verbal discussion" with the referee at one point during a game and flipped her pony tail up so the referee could clearly read the words. I was amazed. Not sure how I'd have handled it if I was the referee. There's no law of the game dealing with tattoos but the thought crossed my mind that action was tantamount to lifting a jersey to display writing on a t-shirt underneath the uniform, only difference being this appeared to be permanently engrained on her neck! Certainly brazen on this kid's part - no doubt made her parents especially proud. I've never seen anything like it...

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Suggestion on regional site. Why not Manchester in Rock Hill? Close enough to charlotte for hotels and food. Could use the Winthrop fields to have some games. Seems like a great place here in SC to host!!!

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
H
brace
brace
H
manchester is not even close to being big enough to host.what fields are at winthrop besides the game field and the track?

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard