Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Of the 24 teams competing today in the various boys and girls finals, 15 are from Texas (11 from North Texas and 4 from South texas), 5 from NC, 3 from Georgia and 1 from Oklahoma. On the girls side, only two age groups (U18 and U19) were not all Texas finals. On the boys side, NC did very well, placing a team in all of the finals except U18.

When was the last year SC had a finalist? And have we had any region winners since the Aiken Fire team?

goal
goal
Sounds like another wasted year by SC teams at Regionals! When will we ever break the barrier?

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Sounds like another wasted year by SC teams at Regionals! When will we ever break the barrier?

what do you consider breaking the barrier? getting to the quarters,semi's or finals.i think the first two have been done. as far as the finals go i think we have to wait like every other state in the region for texas to become part of mexico again and all those teams start playing in cabo.atleast on the girls side.i do not keep up with the boys.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

Sounds like another wasted year by SC teams at Regionals!

This statement disgusts me...could you be any more cavalier? Unless you are there to watch and witness what takes place on the pitch, don't be so quick to judge.

After all, in the end, these are a bunch of kids who've worked their fannies off to get to Regionals in the first place. They play to win...not just to 'WASTE' their time.

-Attitude reflects leadership-
F
kick off
kick off
F
I assume you have been @ Regionals and have seen the play. If so, to make it to the quarterfinals in that event is a major accomplishment. When you compete against clubs that come from a population center of 500,000 plus such as Dallas, TX(more like a million), SC teams do extremely well based upon population of the cities that some of our teams come from.

Having had a two sons appear @ regionals over the last 8 years, our SC teams have done an outstanding job. To call their hard work this past year in preparing for regionals, "wasted" is an unfair comment to those players.

They leave everything on the field. Sometimes as previously said, it comes down to the last few minutes of play.

I applaud all the SC boys/girls teams for their hard preparation that was done after the HS season was completed in trying to practice, get scrimmages in and compete together as a team again.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Not trying to make any excuses for the SC teams, or take anything away from the other teams, but you also have to remember that most of the other states in our Region just finished up their club seasons prior to Regionals. We have our State Finals in December and then go play HS soccer. Sure we have some scrimmages and practice sessions leading up to Regionals but I certainly would have rather been heading off to Regionals right after having won a State Championship...oh well...it is what it is.

GVLSoccerDad
Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
Quote:

I assume you have been @ Regionals and have seen the play. If so, to make it to the quarterfinals in that event is a major accomplishment. When you compete against clubs that come from a population center of 500,000 plus such as Dallas, TX(more like a million), SC teams do extremely well based upon population of the cities that some of our teams come from.

Your point is well made. The Dallas metro area has over 6 million population as compared to 4.3 million for the entire state of South Carolina.

S
goal
goal
S
Congratulations to all the teams from SC on their success at the southern regionals.

GVLSoccerDad
I totally agree with you about the layoff, however using your logic the SC teams are at a big disadvantage due to coming off the HS season. What does that say about HS soccer?

Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
Quote:

Not trying to make any excuses for the SC teams, or take anything away from the other teams, but you also have to remember that most of the other states in our Region just finished up their club seasons prior to Regionals. We have our State Finals in December and then go play HS soccer. Sure we have some scrimmages and practice sessions leading up to Regionals but I certainly would have rather been heading off to Regionals right after having won a State Championship...oh well...it is what it is.

This is something that has always baffled me. From what I have been able to research, 7 of the 11 R3 states have boys' high school soccer in the spring and 7 have girls' HS soccer in the spring. It seems that Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida play high school soccer in the winter. Tennessee girls and NC boys play HS in the fall. All others play HS soccer in the spring just like in SC. But, apparently, only SC and NC (girls only) decide their club state cups in the fall. Any thoughts on why this happens? Why is SC different from almost everyone else in terms of state cup timing? Do the other states have their club seasons concurrent with the high school seasons?

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Sweet Feet...my comments were not directed towards HS soccer. However, the young men that were on the U18 CESA team come from a minimum of 10 different HS teams from the Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson and Columbia area. Most of these players were considered the top players at each of these respective schools. Also some of these boys play one position at the club level compared to what they play in high school. The discussion has occurred on this site, and most likely will again in the future, comparing Club Soccer to High School soccer. All I was trying to say was that it is hard to expect optimum results from a team that has not played together competitively (at the level of Regionals) for close to 6 months.

GVLSoccerDad
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard