Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
H
brace
brace
H
with sc having its state in dec you get locked into your roster months before reginals. do these other states that do not have their states until spring get to add to their rosters up until that time.
for ex. if a good player moves into one of these states in lets say march,are they still allowed to be added to the roster of a team that hasnt played their state at that time and may be able to go to reginals.in sc you would not be able to pad your team for reginals.

M
brace
brace
M
That is correct. Our rosters are frozen as they were during Fall State Cup competition, while others are not until just prior to their respective Spring State Cup competitions.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Well said...the disadvantage of playing right at the end of HS soccer doesn't come from the quality of soccer; it comes from the fact that these players haven't had a chance to practice together AS A TEAM during that time. In order for any team to be at the top of their form, they need opportunity to practice functioning together--in the positions they will be playing, and interacting with the other players they will be depending on. Putting well-trained players on a team together doesn't produce the best results unless they've had a chance to train together, as a unit, and that's the element that is sometimes missing when these players come back together after months of playing separately on their respective high school teams. Dead on target, GVLSoccerDad.

I've got good news and bad news...
M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

Of the 11 States participating in Southern Regional competition South Carolina is the only State to completely suspend club play during the Spring. All other states have rosters which are not frozen and to my knowledge each of them enter the tournament coming off of their own State Cup competition.

This may be a great example of two very talented teams entering top level competition without the benefit of having maximum "team chemistry" working for them. Such chemistry only comes from extensive preparation. A couple of weeks of training at the end of high school seasons certainly doesn't compare to the preparation each team had leading up to their respective Fall seasons where they were so successful. Not an excuse, just a factor worthy of mention in the overall scheme of things.

From my earlier posting regarding the outcomes of the CESA 92 Boys Premier and CUFC 91 Elite teams.

Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
As I said in my earlier post, 6 other states in Region 3 play high school soccer in the spring. That includes Texas. How do those other states do it? And again, why does SCYSA have our state cup in the fall when other states who also play HS in the spring have their state cup in the spring?

I don't see how we can call playing high school soccer in the spring a disadvantage for SC club teams at regionals when most of the other states play HS in the spring as well, including the states who have the most success at regionals.

L
Goal
Goal
L
On the girls side - other than goals and ball size , there is no comparison between HS soccer and playing club ball at the regional level.

Coach P Offline OP
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
Quote:

Of the 11 States participating in Southern Regional competition South Carolina is the only State to completely suspend club play during the Spring. All other states have rosters which are not frozen and to my knowledge each of them enter the tournament coming off of their own State Cup competition.

The girls in North Carolina (U15-18) also have their State Cup and roster freeze deadline in the fall.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Its been mentioned before by many others that the best players need to be together as much as possible to develop and high school puts a tremendous strain on that over a 3-4 month period. When the state is already behind in level of play/players, as well as, having a close proximity of its high school season to Regionals, then the recipe for club success in June is not good.

As far as North Carolina, there is probably no coincidence the male teams have a better history at Regionals since their high school season is farther away (Fall) from Regionals then the female teams (Spring).

M
brace
brace
M
I stand corrected regarding the hs seasons of other region 3 states. hs soccer may be a much bigger thing in sc than it is in other states. Winning is important but the bottom line really comes down to being competitive as a result of the individual and team commitment to improvement. SC collegiate programs seem to do a great job of scouting players within the state via the combination of club, odp and hs programs.

Having said that, it sure would have been nice to break into the Semis. Next year the 92s will do it.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

On the girls side - other than goals and ball size , there is no comparison between HS soccer and playing club ball at the regional level.

One might also say that other than the ability to concentrate the most talented players on one team, there is very little difference. The level of competition is obviously much higher at regional-level club play, but having an extra season to spend time on the ball is more likely to help than hurt, as opposed to playing only one season having to choose betwen one or the other. I think if we had high school state playoffs at the end of fall club season, you'd hear the exact same complaints coming from high school coaches about quality of play suffering because of not having time to practice together as a team.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard