goal
I am Glad CASL did not have to change their colors

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Shibumi,
It's obvious you aren't ill with soccermom... so Specifically what ax do you have to grind? Please be specific with specific facts .

S
throw in
throw in
S
In regard to "Cover the representation", I mean YOU personnaly step up and accomplish what it is that you desire it to be. It's so easy for you to sit on the sidelines and be critical of others. They are not there to be cheerleaders, but to be available to HELP run the tournament. If YOU want cheerleadres, bring them with you to the game.

Ok, here are a few "Facts" to back my OPINIONS. Our team was granted accesst o play in the tournament through Region III. I was contacted by Mr Barry Bynum, who by the way does not have a child playing on any State teams at this time. He and his wife sacrificed their time to make sure we,the team, had all the inforamtion we needed in regard to accomodations, paper work etc. Steve Cothran did this on behalf of the State Cup winners. As a parent and team manager who had never been to regionals, I found their advice and direction VERY helpful from January until the time we departed from Raleigh. They might not have been physically present, but their support of our team was evident to me. If you have never been a part of the paper work nightmare, then you Shibumi have no clue what all goes on BEHIND the scenes of regionals.
Another "Fact"
We had to get additional SCYSA passes for bench personel at the last minute, they stepped right up and got the credentials proccessed in record time. They attended meetings prior to registration to gather information regarding expectations for teams while in Raleigh, they were at the registration to assist us with any difficulties we had with our paperwork. They attended the Opening ceremonies, they were in attendance at the complexes in Raleigh and Wilson from before 0800 until after 10:00pm EVERY DAY OF REGIONALS.

If you think this is no major task, then YOU step up and do it.

As for your comments on their interest or should I say the "lack of interest", I know the representatives at our games were interested. They made comments about our play whenever I approached them. If they were not paying attention, then how would they have been able to form an opinion about the game??? Did you ever seek on of the representatives out during your games? Did you extend a hand of thanks for a the job they were doing? Did you offer them any advice about how you expected them to behave at regionals? My guess would be NO. It's easier to do it in an anonymous forum, right?

And lastly, I do not have any personal relationship with "These people". I have a working knowledge and appreciation of the tremendous job they do.

Thanks to the many folks who actually stepped up to participate in the preparations for and service to the Regional Tournament.

As for you shibumi, you need to get a grip and maybe a perscription for some happy pills. Life it too short to get so worked up about the things you do.

Cindy Arneson
CUFC '91 Boys Elite

S
coach
coach
S
>>[Solomon] Shibumi, It's obvious you aren't ill with soccermom... so Specifically what ax do you have to grind? Please be specific with specific facts . <<

It's funny -- I keep wishing I had the time I used to in order to post -- and yet the few minutes I'm able to spend on this each week is always fascinating and sometimes just plain fun...

Attempting to parse your post, I'm interpreting what you're asking for are "specifics" and "facts" associated with your belief that I have an "axe to grind." I'll try to accomodate -- but do so in a limited amount of time.

I believe that the SCYSA does a disservice to South Carolina youth soccer in that the organization has failed for years to provide the leadership and support to grow the sport. I've been pretty consistent on this position for several years now; but got much sharper in my criticism a few years ago when they made a ruling that limited parental choice by creating out of whole cloth a ruling that allows further balkanization of youth soccer. But that ruling was only the overt manifestation of a consistent disregard and neglect to grow youth soccer.

However, I want to make this clear. The SCYSA could make a ruling that all players have to wear patches that say "SCYSA: Nepotism in action" and I wouldn't have a problem -- IF we were seeing significantly higher growth in the sport.

Is this specific enough? For more facts, do a search back on SCSoccer.com and you'll find a lot of data I've posted regarding South Carolina youth soccer penetration as compared to Region III states and other benchmark states.

S
coach
coach
S
soccermrs: Thanks for the post. I think that your expectations are much lower than mine in terms of what the hundreds of thousands of dollars each year that clubs send to the SCYSA achieve for our children; I'd like to see services and growth and penetration significantly better than other states, you're pleased that there are folks to help team managers. While I may not agree, I understand your position.

Regarding your opening: "In regard to "Cover the representation", I mean YOU personnaly step up and accomplish what it is that you desire it to be. It's so easy for you to sit on the sidelines and be critical of others. They are not there to be cheerleaders, but to be available to HELP run the tournament. If YOU want cheerleadres, bring them with you to the game."

I'm still a bit confused as to how sitting on a golf cart on the edge of the field apparently being bored out of their mind contributes to helping run the tournament -- but perhaps it's all a bit too Zen for me. I guess they're waiting on that emergency call from a team manager needing an extra pass -- got it.

Truthfully, the golf cart stuff is just the trivial outward manifestation of a deeper ill. In a sense, it's like criticizing the blemish of a person with a terminal disease -- the blemish isn't what's going to do you in.

It was superficial of me to repeat the same thing that I heard over and over again at regionals about the SCYSA and the golf carts; what I should have done was to write the SCYSA representatives themselves and note to them respectfully but with candor what was said about them. I know that's not your point -- but if it were your point I'd absolutely concede to it. Okay -- now that I've attributed to you a rational argument, let's go back to your post. [<- Note: I am really just kidding here with that last sentence.]

I'd agree with you that someone who isn't willing to help with youth soccer in the state might want to first do that before "casting a stone"; however, I'm not in that situation. I've done the parent thing, I've done the volunteer thing, I've done the fundraising thing, I've done the board thing -- not for 1-2 clubs but for multiple clubs and for literally thousands of hours -- both in the USYSA structure and the USCS structure. My advice to someone who wants to make a difference? Help your club.

It's funny -- the club that has helped the SYCSA the most in the past few years was Bridge -- because they were willing to expand beyond the USYSA structure and thus contributed to a situation where in the last year or two you can see increased opportunities for South Carolina teams and players. I think that's where we are in terms of the SCYSA and USYSA; the only thing that's going to get them to offer better services is competition. The only alternative I see at this point is just to write off the fees that clubs have to pay to the SCYSA as "a cost of doing business" (kind of like paying the Mafia for protection) and ignore it.

Regarding your closing: "As for you shibumi, you need to get a grip and maybe a perscription for some happy pills. Life it too short to get so worked up about the things you do."

I always loved the quote from Charles De Gaulle when asked if he was happy -- "What do you take me for, an idiot?"

Leaving aside my own ignorance as to what a "perscription for some happy pills" might be (I was tempted to make some allusion to a Reagan-esque "just say no to drugs" but felt that I have been soundly defeated in terms of triteness), might I make an observation from someone who has posted a lot over the years and is posting less these days? I've noticed that when people engage in "debate" on this message board, that the last refuge tends to be helpful philosophical hints as to how to live life. That -- or an obscenity. They're pretty much the same thing after you've read a few thousand posts...

While I wish that I could honestly believe that $300K+ (from memory, please see pasts financial analysis posts for more detail and accurate numbers) of revenue that the SCYSA receives due primarily to their monopoly on the USYSA regional/national championship series and on the USYSA ODP process was well spent promoting and growing the sport in the state, I've been unable over the years to convince myself of that.

Do I think that the people in the SCYSA are "bad?" No. I just think that they have low expectations on themselves and a vested position in maintaining both their own positions and the interests of their real customers, the clubs. Since only a minority of clubs are interested in real growth in the sport rather than servicing the immediate interests of the parents who pay the bills, we get stuck in the place we are now.

Might I humbly and respectfully suggest that the best thing for all of us, both on the SCSYSA and those who just pay the bills, might be to raise our expectations just a tad? Further, rather than just worrying about our child, or our child's team; instead think through how well these types of organizations are spending the money sent to them and the energy of their people to accomplish their mission.

S
coach
coach
S
Quote:

I am Glad CASL did not have to change their colors

I think they did -- to green -- I think that they and the community that supports them raked in a lot of money.

By the way -- in my opinion -- CASL did a much better job in terms of fields than they do when the "pack them in" for the CASL Showcase. The decision to use 10 of the 16 fields, even though it required a one hour one-way drive to other (very nice) fields, resulted in much better field conditions.

I'm looking forward to South Carolina having a 16-field complex which as I understand it is the minimum required to host a regional event.

World Cup
World Cup
A wonderful testament to youth soccer from longtime supporter Jim Victor of Aiken. This is a reprint in its' entireity with permission from Jim. (Thanks for sending this!)

Kevin,

I hardly ever wrote (if ever) into the message board, but I was in Portland, Oregon last weekend and read that the Region 1 tournament was to be hosted there this week. It made me think of some of the good times I had at regionals. I looked to see results on scsoccer.com and found the whole thread on the subject.

Since I am not a member I can't post, but if you think it is worthwhile you can post for me.

Success at the regional tournament takes the following (in no particular order)

Athletes, teamwork, discipline, trust, skill and luck!

My son played with the Aiken Fire from U10 through U19. To finally win the state championship at U14 it took a slighter higher talent level than the team had in the previous 3 years. The coach, Justin Rhodes, did this by adding three players from Augusta and one from Columbia to an already fairly talented team. They won state in the spring and just had normal practices leading up to regionals. At Regionals, U14 Aiken Fire won their group and made it to the semis only to lose a close game to a Texas team.

At U15 4 more players from Augusta joined the nucleus and the team played well all year in several of the major East Coast tournaments. They won state in December. Most were freshman in HS and played for their HS teams in the spring. They did practice together on weekends a few times a month in Feb through April. As soon as HS was over they were back to 3 or 4 times a week starting in early May. Once school was out, it was almost everyday practice with two a days several times a week. Justin also scheduled a "boot camp" type week in Fripp Island for 6 days two weeks prior to going to Little Rock. Practice and conditioning at 6:00 am on the beach in the sand, beach soccer, tennis soccer, team runs, crawling through the wet sand during drills at 6:00 in the morning, etc. I thought it was borderline ludicrous! They all slept and ate together in one house. When they left there I have never seen a team as tight and focused. (It reminded me of the football movie, Remember the Titans). The parents and players went together to Little Rock on a chartered bus. It may sound crazy but as the bus arrived each day at the field, the atmosphere in the bus as the boys walked from the back of the bus to the front past their parents and siblings to cheers and clapping, they knew what they came to do. They won the finals in PKs defeating a CASL team I don't think they had ever defeated before. (This same CASL had won the region the previous year as U14 and lost the previous year national championship in PKs to the Maryland team led by Freddie Adu!) The bus ride home was electric. Even the bus driver adopted the boys. He scheduled around his own vacation and broken foot to be with them at Nationals. Again, the same black bus was secured. They lost their first game at nationals 6-2 to the NY team. (The NY team had lost their state championship, but got an invite to regionals as an at large team and went on to win Region 1 that year!). After the 6-2 drubbing, Aiken Fire had a closed door meeting with just coach and players for three hours. It did some good as they won game 2 and tied game 3 to advance to the finals to play Rochester, NY who had beat them 6-2 on day one. The final was a different story. As I recall, back and forth play and 0-0 at the half. NY netted a goal early in the second. From that point on, Aiken Fire picked up play and had a couple chances to equalize but either missed the shot or the shot was snubbed out by the NY keeper. With less than a minute to play Aiken Fire got a though ball to a striker who was fouled in the box, resulting in a penalty kick to tie the game. It was a good kick, not quite upper 90, but almost. The NY kicker guessed right and punched the ball wide. The ensuing corner kick was header over the cross bar by Fire and the whistle sounded ending the game. The NY keeper later said he had studied film of Aiken's regional final PK shootout and went the same way the kicker had gone previously.

A heartbreaking loss, but indication of the fight and determination of this team.

At U16 tryouts several more talented kids appeared and a few were added to the team. Similar results in the fall with the state championship game going 3-2 in favor of Aiken over CESA (they may have still been St Giles then). A tremendous game with the game winner coming with less than 5 minutes to play. The spring was the same with sessions on a few weekends Feb through April, then 3 times a week through end of school and everyday (including 2-a-days in June). The "team boot camp" was in the mountains of NC with all the boys in one house and eating all their meals together. After midnight runs and early morning fitness and drills they had the same bonding as the previous year. They were ready to go again. One point I remember was the pre-tournament talk with the SC cups and games director. He reminded the boys about the fair play award. One of the captains was smiling and was asked, "Why are you smiling?" He promptly answered. "With all due respect sir, we aren't here for the fair play award". At regionals, they got the to final only to lose to Dallas TX 1-0 in the final. Two straight years to the finals. This team was special!

The u17 tryout year brought even more players from far away places. Another from Atlanta, one from Athens and a few from the SC coast. In my opinion this was the most talented team. The fall season went well. I think they were either first or second in the R3PL and won a few tournaments. They won state 2 or 3 nothing over CESA. Justin had lined up friendlies in the spring with SC, Clemson, Furman, PC, Wake Forest and a few others. During April, they went to Dallas for Dallas Cup, won their group and were beaten 3-2 in the qtrs by the Tigres of Mexico. I think the Tigres went on to win the tournament. It was a great experience as the tigres played like professionals! Justin asked the boys not to play HS ball so they could train together for these matches and to prepare for regionals. It was a disaster as parents and players and coach all argued the pros and cons of doing such. In the end, they all played HS and some chose not to play in the friendlies because it was too much. It was a lot of games to play in the spring with HS and these college games. After the HS season, practice as normal, the "boot camp" took place again, this time the boys staying in Aiken together in one house with just players and the coach, no parents except to prepare meals. They went to Texas in cars rather than a team bus. The feeling just wasn't the same. The spring took its toll with some players not getting over the decisions and commitment level of others. The first two games saw Aiken dominate play but come up with two ties. They lost the third game to their old CASL nemesis 1-0. As crazy as it sounds, the second place in the group was tied and we waited 2 hours to go to PKs to determine the runner-up in the group. Aiken missed 3 of 4 and was eliminated from the tournament.

Sheer disappointment, but typical when a team doesn't have the chemistry and bonding. I felt that the players didn't have the respect, and closeness of prior years. Also, most of the luck at that year's tourney was bad!

At U18 tryouts some of the disgruntled players left the team, two went off to college and several new faces were on the team. In the Aiken Cup in August, one of the key strikers tore his ACL. In the last R3PL game of the season, the center back tore his ACL. This team didn't have the depth nor the passion to overcome these injuries and were defeated in the state semis to a fine Columbia team.

At U19 with almost everyone back in college they decided to try for regionals one more time, especially since it was back in Little Rock, the same site as their U15 championship (and by the far the best venue for the regional tournaments that we attended). We invited everyone who had EVER played for Aiken Fire for the U19 team. At one time we had 20 rostered and I think we had 18 show for the two games versus CESA in Columbia. We had one tear his ACL in this game and a few change plans at the last minute for Little Rock. We took 14, with a total of 3 parents and no coach. Of the 14, at least 10 had just finished playing in college or were going to play as freshman the next year. The boys pretty much coached themselves with two dads on the bench and one mother in the stands for support. What a difference at U19! The passion was back and the boys advanced to the semis only to play the Dallas Texans (who had beaten Aiken in the u16 final 1-0 and had won the national championship at U18!). To top it off the only GK that Aiken had rostered got called up to play for the U20 national team in Canada and left the day before the semi final game. The guys moved a field player to goal and shuffled players around the best they could. Remarkably it was 0-0 after regulation. Two full OT's were played but the lack of players caused severe fatigue. They gave up a goal, then adjusted to push players forward and gave up two more. The regional experience was over for them. I think every player was glad they did it one last time!

These guys played 5 regional tournaments and lost a total of 5 games!

As I look back these players/team had an intangible thing... the ability to find a way to win.

I am sure I missed some important points, but I go back to:

Athletes, teamwork, discipline, trust, skill and luck!

Jim Victor, manager of Aiken Fire U10 through U19

F
kick off
kick off
F
National Championsip Winners

Strength of Texas shows. Of interest, in the u-17 Boys, Andromeda 91 is the team that beat DSC 90 in the 94th minute of the regional quarterfinal in order to advance to the regional final and now they are crowned National Champions.

Under-16 through Under-19 Champions Crowned at 2008 US Youth Soccer National Championships
July 27, 2008 | Last Updated: 7/28/08 12:23 PM ET

Under-16 Boys: Dallas Texans 92 Red (N-TX)
Under-16 Girls: Dallas Texans Red 92 (N-TX)
Under-17 Boys: Andromeda 91 (N-TX)
Under-17 Girls: Dallas Texans 91 Red (N-TX)
Under-18 Boys: Andromeda 90 (N-TX)
Under-18 Girls: Colorado Rush (CO)
Under-19 Boys: Solar SC (N-TX)
Under-19 Girls: Force Football Club (MI)

M
brace
brace
M
6 of 8 Champions are from North Texas. Impressive!

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
Brace
Brace
The field additions at MESA should enable that venue to host.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard