Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
The 1995 girls get under way this Thursday in SparkleCity. (Spartanburg) Games every day.
Thursday 6:00 and 7:30 SC plays both times
Friday 6:00 and 7:30 Sc only plays at 7:30 two fields
Saturday 6:00, 7:15 and 8:30 - 8:30 is a coaches choice Saturday TBA on who plays when
Sunday 9:00 and 10:00, TBA on who plays when

1:30 check out and fall asleep on the way home...

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

The 1995 girls get under way this Thursday in SparkleCity. (Spartanburg) Games every day.
Thursday 6:00 and 7:30 SC plays both times
Friday 6:00 and 7:30 Sc only plays at 7:30 two fields
Saturday 6:00, 7:15 and 8:30 - 8:30 is a coaches choice Saturday TBA on who plays when
Sunday 9:00 and 10:00, TBA on who plays when

1:30 check out and fall asleep on the way home...

good luck to all the sc girls at upstate.it all starts there!!!

papa,
mine has been doing odp for 4 or 5 years.just some friendly advice.ball up that schedule and throw it in the trash.it always changes.may be close sometimes but a lot changes.
have some fun.go to the beacon.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Fatz is more my style, maybe even my stature, Beacon is a land mark, I just can not do it too often. It is a treat for an out of towner.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Fatz is more my style, maybe even my stature, Beacon is a land mark, I just can not do it too often. It is a treat for an out of towner.

the kids just got a wii fit so maybe i can now do the beacon more often.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
does the wii fit have a load limit, comment for me not you brother...

H
brace
brace
H
my yongest told me not to break it.

im 190 and it holds up well.it seems like it can take a whole lot more.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Since the North South Classic is in Sparkle City as well, should be a good weekend just to watch, and have fun, hope we do not melt..

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Good event and good weekend. The coaches choice game was telling as to our position relative to the other 4 states. Best I could tell NC had 5 times as many players picked as SC..., Tenn 3 times as many. The two NC midfielders were magic with the ball, First touch, control, passing and speed.

world cup
world cup
Last year, out of the roughly 30 girls selected for the Coaches Choice Game, only two girls from South Carolina were chosen. Interestingly enough, the girls from TN were very strong.

How many SC girls were selected to play in the feature game this weekend?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
2 for SC total... As a group of soccer loving people, if that same thing happened two years in a row what does that tell you?

world cup
world cup
Here's the roster for a D2 school in South Carolina:

http://newberryindians.athleticsite.com/roster.asp?sportID=10

Here's the roster for a D2 school in Georgia:

http://www.gcsu.edu/athletics/soccer/roster.html

Remember, there is a real financial incentive for the coach to recruit in-state girls....you can get them more state aid.

See the difference?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal
Goal
I would also add that Newberry is private and GCSU is a public school, correct? Thus more state aid available to the public school.

Victory Starts Here!
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
my point was simplier than that...

How did the SC girls do at the east mini camp? 2 0f 30, 2 of 30
How did SC do in Columbus GA this weekend?
How do we do when SC plays others states like NC, Texas, etc
We have the challenge games coming up soon, how will they turn out?

world cup
world cup
Interesting that the coach who was at Newberry the past five years is now at GCSU. This fall will be his first season.

Even though Newberry is a private school, a student athlete still enjoys all of the academic and financial aid advantages that students at the South Carolina state schools do. They get the Palmetto and the Life, plus other forms of financial and academic aid.

202677, you are correct that tuition at Newberry is the same for both in-state and out-of-state students. At GCSU, Georgia residents pay a reduced rate.

I would still argue however that if soccer talent were equal, there would be advantages for Newberry to recruit within the state.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
I will state as my opinion we are behind in training the youth of our state versus others. It shows when we match up, anywhere I have looked, or happen to have seen. CASL, Greensboro and Charlotte are producing some great players. No reason we can not match up. The model for success in SC is not working, outside of SC.

Goal
Goal
Hurst - Thanks!

Papa - I would argue that the sheer numbers present in the other states of kids playing soccer is the primary reason that they are able to produce better players in more quantity.

Does anyone have the figures for kids that play youth soccer in NC, SC, GA, FL, TN, VA, AL?

Victory Starts Here!
I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
202677 the truth is they were better trained players, not bigger, not faster, better trained... It comes down things as simple as the first touch. If we are smaller and that is the reason, we need to quit, because we will always be smaller in numbers than some people. I do not believe that is the case.

Soccer is a learned skilled, not pure athletics. They have learned more than us so far. Why do most of the world cup players have birth dates in JAN, FEB and MAR? Because they were bigger as kids and they got more training. I am sure the births per month is pretty flat, so not to bias the early borns because of numbers. They have gotten more quality training so they get the spots. The other states NC in particular, look like it is doing it right.

I understand that the larger clubs in NC give high level training to the rec kids, and not just the competitive level kids. I think they differ greatly to our larger clubs in that respect. That is where I believe the truth lies. I have seen the inside guts of one of our states largest REC pools, just have heard what NC is doing.

North Carolina girls Soccer, Basketball, etc excel because of training, which led to tradition. If they ever stop training and leading those players, they can lose as well, ask Matt what's his name.

I
goal
OP Offline
goal
I
Hurst's college line of thinking, the gap is in skill level versus numbers. I believe that is what you are saying Right Hurst?

world cup
world cup
College coaches in South Carolina realize that the overall talent pool is deeper in some of our neighboring states.

Papa, I mentioned above that Tennessee is very strong in the Girls 94 age group. One of those players will never touch a soccer ball in college if Pat Summitt ever sets her sights on her!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard