Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
even though we would love that it not compete against soccer, i don't see it as a winter sport. the weather will not allow this sport be in the winter, and the lacrosse people would not go for it. If you watch lacrosse, the unis are very cool and they shorts or skirts by the girls...i do agree with the issue of fields, as there would have to be additional lines on the field if they used the football field; i know players that have played on turf fields that have the additional lines for lacrosse or even football for that matter that get confused in what lines to play....i think lacrosse would be a good cross over sport for soccer though...i guess we will wait and see...

A
throw in
throw in
A
On Long Island, a lacrosse hot spot, most high school soccer players play lacrosse. It's a great cross over sport. What's going on on LI know is lacrosse and spring club soccer compete for fields because lacrosse numbers have just grown leaps and bounds over the last few years. Field space is not like SC where there are open areas for development.

If lacrosse develops here in SC like it has on LI, soccer's numbers will defiantly be affected,in a big way.

world cup
world cup
Fields are definitely a problem in South Carolina....but fields are a problem all over the country.

Logical solution......build soccer/lacrosse fields on campus.

Move boys and girls soccer to the fall, play boys and girls lacrosse in the spring.

Football can't have exclusive rights to the fall forever.....I think the time has come to share the season.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Quote:

Fields are definitely a problem in South Carolina....but fields are a problem all over the country.

Move boys and girls soccer to the fall, play boys and girls lacrosse in the spring.

Football can't have exclusive rights to the fall forever.....I think the time has come to share the season.

Well, this is not Long Island -- this is South Carolina and believe me, football rules the roost (always has and always will).

High School soccer in the Palmetto State started as a winter sport in the late 1960s and early 1970s through 1985 -- the sport moved to the spring in 1986. My suggestion is to let lacrosse be implemented the same way.

Also, the need for field turf will be at an all-time high when this sport gets sanctioned by the SCHSL. My suggestion at land-locked Brookland-Cayce HS is to build the new football/soccer stadium on Knox Abbott Drive with natural grass and to turn The Cage, which is supposed to feature a regulation size track around the playing field, into a field turf training facility for athletic practices, band practices, JV events, and P.E. classes.

A
throw in
throw in
A
Kyle....agreed football rules the roost. That being said,change brings change. As the demographics of certain areas of SC change so will the mentality. As more families move from lacrosse hotbeds, Long Island, Balitmore and Virginia there will be more of a demand for lacrosse. City of Charleston has a new, well run lacrosse program with a lot of MPSC soccer players playing.

One of the large reasons for lacrosse explosion on LI is scholarships and opportunity. 15 years ago on LI it was all soccer fields. Now when I go back, it's all lacrosse goals.
And lacrosse does not cost as much, there is no DOC and all the other BS associated with US club soccer.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Wow...you make that sound so simple!

Just a couple of minor difficulties...the first being that the plan assumes that the school actually has space on campus to build a soccer/lacrosse field (I know my 4A school does not have another inch to build on), and the second is a matter of whether schools and districts will be willing and able to make the financial investment. The newer schools being built seem to be planning for a non-football playing field, but the majority of campuses are pretty well set in their boundaries and available facilities.

The other problem (again, not such a problem at a "soccer school," but you can't just use those for decision-making) is sharing athletes with football. Personally, it would help me to move girls and boys soccer to fall, but it would kill the boys' team; many of the athletes who come out for soccer in the spring are football players in the fall, and most of them wouldn't give that up in an area where football is valued above all other sports. When I was coaching in 1A, 80% of my boys' team was made up of out-of-season football players who just enjoyed the game and wanted to stay in shape. If we had to compete with football for players, though, there would have been no team.

I just don't think it's going to be practical for all but the most fortunate level of South Carolina schools to have successful, well-supported soccer programs while sharing a season with football. Sure, there are schools who have the facilites and the background for it, but there are many more who would be at a tremendous disadvantage...

I've got good news and bad news...
world cup
world cup
Chass,

1. Are there band fields or football practice fields that can be converted into lacrosse fields in the spring?

2. Can 1A boys soccer programs be sacraficed for the benefit of girls & boys lacrosse programs at the 2A, 3A and 4A level?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
goal
S
Lacrosse requires very little skill, my neigbor was the captain at an Ivy League school(Brown University) and couldn't make his HS soccer team. Try picking up soccer as a 10th grader and starting at an ACC, or SEC school, can't happen.

world cup
world cup
I think the Northwestern University womens lacrosse team won their first NCAA national title with a bunch of athletes that were very new to the sport.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Good questions, Hurst. I can only speak definitely for my own school, and I'm sure there are a wide variety of conditions at schools across the state.

1. As for us, we are struggling just to find enough space in the spring for soccer as is. Band, in the fall, practices on and behind the softball field; those areas are in use for softball in the spring. Baseball is in swing (no pun intended) and occupies that space; the only other open areas are the football practice field and the stadium field. The football practice field is also the soccer practice field, and the football stadium is also the soccer stadium. With four soccer teams to practice (girls and boys, JV and varsity for both) we have to use both the practice field and the game field for practices just to give a half field to each team...and that includes sharing part of the game field with track for shot and discus practice as well. It makes for really tight and not-so-effective conditions already (I had to make a deal with the devil to get my AD's permission to use the game field for girls' practice...he suggested we split between afternoon and night practices on the practice field, forgetting, of course, that there were no lights), and the only place left to expand would be to find a field off campus and transport people. So, in our case, no, there's nothing left in the spring to convert.

2. Can 1A boys soccer programs be sacrificed? Sure, they CAN...but do you really want to tell them their (in some cases long-established) programs are screwed so people at other schools can start a new sport? When you start talking about sacrificing one group's benefits so another group can benefit...I think you're treading on dangerous ground there.

No, I think if schools can find a way to integrate a newer (to them) sport like lacrosse without taking away major resource from already-established sports, that's great, but I don't think it's fair to do away with or effectively sabotage one program in favor of a newer trend.

I don't see them bulldozing the softball fields to build hockey rinks, either.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard