Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
When is too much......too much? And where to draw the line?

In my travels in Mexico I only see soccer.....when you are within a couple of hours of the US border baseball is also popular.

In Germany....soccer fields and tennis courts.

In China....honestly, can't sayin my travels there that I've see much recreation of any kind.

Japan....crazy about multi-tiered golf driving ranges and batting cages.

Elswhere throughout the world its the same thing. ONly in America does it appear that we have a the desire to allow niches of people to do whatever they want with the expectation that the taxpayer support it. A lot of people would view soccer the same way....

Just seem weird. We won't pull more kids into sports....we'll simply dilute our athletic pool to the point where we suck at everything....and fight over fields to suck accordingly. The wonder why SC colleges/universites are recruiting "foreign" kids instead of local kids.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Spring sports for boys: baseball, soccer, track, lacrosse.
Also AAU basketball and spring football.

world cup
world cup
Is the problem that we have too many high school sports, or is the problem that everything seems to be backloaded into the spring season?

Would we ever consider moving soccer to the fall? If the resistance there is because the smaller schools can't afford (don't have the numbers) to support both football and soccer teams, then maybe those schools need to choose one or the other? If they choose football, great. It means their school simply isn't big enough to support both sports. But for the rest of the 2A, 3A and 4A schools that can support both football and soccer in the fall, theoretically, we just freed up a bunch of boys to participate in track, baseball or lacrosse in the fall.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Not sure how it's going to "ease the burden on facilities and manpower" when the seasons still almost completely overlap...having a field and/or a coach available for a couple of weeks isn't going to make much of a difference.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
The biggest problem with having football and soccer in the same season isn't finding the numbers of players to participate; it's sharing the fields. There are plenty of schools who would have a solid group of athletes who would still choose soccer, but they would be denied the opportunity because there's no place to practice or play matches.

world cup
world cup
Every school faces issues involving these resources.

High schools in about 40 states have figured out a way to overcome this. Many schools do not have the "luxury" of playing soccer in the football stadium, but they somehow find a fairly level cow pasture somewhere in the community and they find a way to get it done.

Last edited by Hurst66; 10/24/08 10:23 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Not to be argumentative, friend Hurst, but it seems like it's really easy for people all over who HAVE a way to get it done to say that everyone else can just "find a way to get it done" or get left out. I'm sure there are plenty of schools in 40 states (including, fortunately, a lot of the newer schools in SC) that are laid out with the idea of providing space for multiple simultaneous sports in mind. For a lot of older schools within established (and especially urban) neighborhoods, expansion isn't always an option. I might be able to find a patch of grass around Moncks Corner if it became necessary, but I wonder how many city school ADs would support bus transportation not only to away games, but home games at the nearest local cow pasture outside of town?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Sounds a lot like my AD, as a matter of fact. A couple of years ago he told us we could only practice on the one football practice field, including girls and boys, JV and varsity squads. When I told him it wasn't practical for all four teams to share one field, his response was, "Well, the basketball teams have to share one gym, but they find a way to get it done; they just split the practice times. Girls can practice 3:30-6, boys can practice 6-8:30. Don't see why you can't do the same; if they want to play they can come late and practice."

It wasn't until I asked him whether he planned to pay for lights to be installed on the practice field, or for night vision goggles for all the boys' players that he realized the situations weren't quite the same.

Brace
Brace
Sounds a lot like my AD, as a matter of fact.

Good ole' Jerry Brown!

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
So putting lacrosse in the spring is going to help the field situation how?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard