Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Is the problem that we have too many high school sports, or is the problem that everything seems to be backloaded into the spring season?

Would we ever consider moving soccer to the fall? If the resistance there is because the smaller schools can't afford (don't have the numbers) to support both football and soccer teams, then maybe those schools need to choose one or the other? If they choose football, great. It means their school simply isn't big enough to support both sports. But for the rest of the 2A, 3A and 4A schools that can support both football and soccer in the fall, theoretically, we just freed up a bunch of boys to participate in track, baseball or lacrosse in the fall.

Too many school sports. Too many sports in general. How many team sports do our kids need?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Would might have a few more kids come out for soccer or track if they were not both played in the spring..As far as too many sports comment..I guess that would be okay until they decided not to field soccer anymore..What do you think Big D? Everyone should have the opportunity to play the sport they enjoy..Football is played on Thursday and Friday nights..That leaves three weekdays and the weekend for soccer and lacrosse..

C
Coach
Coach
C
Seems like, if anything, it would be more practical to move track to the fall than soccer. Reasons:

1. Practice for running events can be held on the track areas around the football field, not interfering with football activities during the week.

2. Many track events that don't require specialized training (exceptions would be pole vault, hurdles, shot and discus) can share athletes with other sports that require running, sprinting, etc. as part of their regular training.

3. Training/practice for specialized events would have minimal impact on shared facilities. Pole vault training takes place in a designated area to the side of the football fields. Hurdles take place on the track outside the fields. Shot and discus, while the events themselves occur on the field, would require much less alternative space than soccer to practice effectively.

4. Track meets traditionally take place on Wednesdays, which would not conflict with traditional Varsity, JV or B-team football game nights.

5. Moving track to the fall season would free up both male AND female athletes to participate in soccer, contributing to the pool of athletes on both sides of the sport.

Given a choice between sharing athletes AND facilities, and just sharing athletes, the latter would seem to be the more practical solution. Thoughts?

I've got good news and bad news...
world cup
world cup
Coach Chass,

Regarding track. Many of the top football players are also sprinters on their high school track team (especially in Florida). Can't have track and football during the same season.

Regarding fields. Nobody is more cramped for space than the state of New Jersey. John Harkes, Tony Meola, Tab Ramos, Claudio Reyna all grew up playing on crap fields.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Hurst,

Seems a little discriminatory to use "can't" when describing a conflict with one sport and "pick one or the other" in regards to another sport.

As for the field space...sorry, but I just can't see the need to even create the conflict. What would be the advantage, in your eyes, of moving soccer into a conflicting position with football as opposed to leaving it where it is?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
My daughter does not run track because she's playing soccer so what's the difference

C
Coach
Coach
C
And there ya go. Agreed.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

When is too much......too much? And where to draw the line?

In my travels in Mexico I only see soccer.....when you are within a couple of hours of the US border baseball is also popular.

In Germany....soccer fields and tennis courts.

In China....honestly, can't sayin my travels there that I've see much recreation of any kind.

Japan....crazy about multi-tiered golf driving ranges and batting cages.

Elswhere throughout the world its the same thing. ONly in America does it appear that we have a the desire to allow niches of people to do whatever they want with the expectation that the taxpayer support it. A lot of people would view soccer the same way....

Just seem weird. We won't pull more kids into sports....we'll simply dilute our athletic pool to the point where we suck at everything....and fight over fields to suck accordingly. The wonder why SC colleges/universites are recruiting "foreign" kids instead of local kids.

We must be the BEST at everything because we are Americans is a concept I endorse but "Suck at everything" seems to be a concept I really can't get my head around--I know nothing about lacrosse but if it get more kids involved in sports (even a sport like lacrosse--sounds like people who don't know soccer--"even a sport like soccer") then it is a good thing even if "we suck at everything". If lacrosse takes kids/fields away from soccer--so be it! If that it what works for the kids, let's embrace the game of lacrosse and let the kids have at it. I have kids that love the game of soccer but if they discovered lacrosse and loved it, I would support them.
Big Daddy--please don't compare us to Germany, China etc. because we are nothing like them in sports or in any facet of our society.

world cup
world cup
Coach Chass,

You are correct.

There's always conflicts and choices that have to be made. If we moved girls soccer to the fall, cht's daughter could run track........but she wouldn't be able to run x-country.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Yeah, everything's a tradeoff...no easy answers! I'm still pushing for that perfect world where every school has multi-sport facilities and support!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard