Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Coach
Coach
C
(Granted, now, because of the paths I've taken through life, I may be a little biased, both about protecting the sport of soccer and about protecting the rights of the "little guy.")

I've got good news and bad news...
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I know in our area there are a few high school hockey teams. They share use of the Ice Palace for games and practices. They all play friday nights usually 3 games back to back. Its exciting and entertaining $5 watch three games.

For the lower level 1A lacrosse is very easy to play 6 or 8 aside. Of course this is up to the league you play in to agree. You can be fairly liberal with goal placement since there is no side to side goal line.

When I lived in CT the high schools all played day games at one location. As much as I didn't like living up north they sure had a lot of activities going on.

I remember arriving at Ft D a few years ago watching a team practice, it was fun to explin the different crosses and what they were doing out there. The looks on the collective faces was interesting. All I could think is how soccer was a odd ball sport when I was a kid. Now soccer kids can look and see another odd ball out there.

On skill level of the sport I think that is just arbitrary with all sport and levels of the play. Hulk Hogan may kick Bobby Fischer's butt in a ring but given a chessboard....

world cup
world cup
Coach chass,

I'm a soccer guy and I would hate to see any soccer program abolished. We are a 4A school up here and we are just as tight on space. The lacrosse teams (boys & girls) practiced and played a couple of home matches on our girls soccer practice field, which is the band field in the fall.

Sooner or later school districts are going to have to build middle schools with top notch athletic fields that can be used by the high schools as well. We do have very nice stadium fields at our three middle schools in our district, but only one of the three middle schools has decent practice fields on their campus.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
I agree...and I think with the newer schools that trend is starting to show. It's just going to take some time for the older campuses to figure out a way to catch up. We're a 4A school too, albeit one of the smaller ones...we average around 1500 students. A few years ago our old school building was razed and a new, larger one built to accommodate the rising population; we also got a nice new gym built in addition to the old one that was retained for practices and wrestling. Of course, the new gym and the bigger school building took up even more of the grass on campus.

An option for us, and probably some other schools as well, is to try to develop some land around our feeder schools; we could make a nice little field by the elementary school, for example. It really is a complicated proposition to try to allocate limited resources for the best benefit to everyone; pretty much anything you give to one group is going to have to come from another. I think if we get creative enough, though, we can find ways to expand what we offer without having to take too much away from what we already have.

And for the record, Hurst, I know you weren't advocating taking away soccer from anyone.

I've got good news and bad news...
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
6/27/08

Lacrosse spreading across S.C. like kudzu
http://www.thestate.com/local/story/445143.html
Akilah Imani Nelson, The State

Ridge View (purple) vs. Hilton Head (white)

Northern transplants have helped ancient sport take root in high schools

world cup
world cup
“One of the reasons USC is moving to Division I with its women’s lacrosse program ... is because we’ve got girls playing lacrosse in high school here now,” Ness said.

It will be interesting to see what USC's womens lacrosse roster looks like in 2010. My guess is that it will consist primarily of girls from the Northeast, even though the coaches could get in-state players a lot cheaper.

If USC is doing this because they want to capitalize on the local "feeder program", then I would encourage 90% of the girls who are athletic enough to play ODP, or R3PL, to put away their soccer balls and pick up a lax stick. History shows that fewer than 10% of our top level girls players even have a shot at stepping on the soccer field for USC, so.......

Go Lacrosse!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
world cup
world cup
Fort Mill heading charge to add prep lacrosse

The Rock Hill Herald, July 1, 2009
by Barry Byers

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/658064.html

World Cup
World Cup
Per the USC Board of Trustees Meeting today ... "The addition of women’s lax is under review, and may not happen."

That's all I know at this time, but remembered the conversations from earlier this spring.

World Cup
World Cup
Lacrosse approval arrives for 2009-2010 per SCHSL

Article from The State, Steve Wiseman - Lacrosse approval arrives for 2009-10

The sport will be played from January to April, encompassing a four-week preseason, six-week regular season and two-week postseason. Lacrosse will start and end earlier than other spring sports, a move aimed at easing the burden on facilities and manpower.

world cup
world cup
I read this article in the Rock Hill Herald earlier this morning. I had heard that the state was considering making high school lacrosse a winter sport, running the same time as basketball and wrestling.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard