Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
(But in the meantime, I'll still fight tooth and nail to keep soccer from losing ground we've worked so hard to gain!)

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hurst,
No problem..I could not beat that girl into running cross country..Any distance running is done chasing a ball..
Coach,
The one problem that would exists with Fall soccer is club ball is played in the fall for most high schoolers..Games are played on the weekends but you have to work around the two or three day practices

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Aw, c'mon, CHT...you're not looking at all the options. It's really quite simple to find a way to "get it done."

1. Move high school soccer to the fall season. Alleviate the field availability problems by borrowing facilities from local club teams (who have traditionally had to find separate facilities from public school fields anyway due to SCHSL restrictions). This would not cause a conflict if you:

2. Move club soccer to the spring season. Club teams, as aforementioned, use separate facilities (and in the great majority, different coaches)from high school teams and would not interfere with any new sports additions like lacrosse. The younger club teams who traditionally play in the spring could use the high school facilities on the weekends and before or after lacrosse practice, since their players are too young to be affected by SCHSL eligibility restrictions. For those concerned about region play, I say if we can switch to match our high school season with 40 other states that we DON'T compete with, then the other states we DO compete against can darn well switch their club season to match ours.

Problem solved, lacrosse gets availability of fields and coaches, and soccer still gets to exist with minimal *ahem* disruption.

Or, alternately...we could let soccer keep what it has, put the NEW sport in the fall season alongside football, and tell those athletes to "pick one or the other;" if they don't have enough athletes and facilities to support both, then maybe they don't need to establish a new sport at that school.

Whichever makes the most sense to the most people...I'm fairly flexible.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Sounds like you have all the answers coach..The only problem I see now is how do you change the minds and attitudes of everyone else that would be involved..
I would love to see soccer played in the fall..You got my vote

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
*sigh* Always a catch, isn't there?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

When is too much......too much? And where to draw the line?

In my travels in Mexico I only see soccer.....when you are within a couple of hours of the US border baseball is also popular.

In Germany....soccer fields and tennis courts.

In China....honestly, can't sayin my travels there that I've see much recreation of any kind.

Japan....crazy about multi-tiered golf driving ranges and batting cages.

Elswhere throughout the world its the same thing. ONly in America does it appear that we have a the desire to allow niches of people to do whatever they want with the expectation that the taxpayer support it. A lot of people would view soccer the same way....

Just seem weird. We won't pull more kids into sports....we'll simply dilute our athletic pool to the point where we suck at everything....and fight over fields to suck accordingly. The wonder why SC colleges/universites are recruiting "foreign" kids instead of local kids.

We must be the BEST at everything because we are Americans is a concept I endorse but "Suck at everything" seems to be a concept I really can't get my head around--I know nothing about lacrosse but if it get more kids involved in sports (even a sport like lacrosse--sounds like people who don't know soccer--"even a sport like soccer") then it is a good thing even if "we suck at everything". If lacrosse takes kids/fields away from soccer--so be it! If that it what works for the kids, let's embrace the game of lacrosse and let the kids have at it. I have kids that love the game of soccer but if they discovered lacrosse and loved it, I would support them.
Big Daddy--please don't compare us to Germany, China etc. because we are nothing like them in sports or in any facet of our society.

I think you misunderstood my post. But thats ok.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard