Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
brace
brace
M
Sorry to hear about the huge change in success between this year and last for the '91 girls. Any other observations you and or the team have regarding why this occurred would be helpful to know.

So far the 92 Boys are having success. We'd like to see that continue.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
world cup
world cup
FutbolMadness,

You probably could have used Stephanie out there this week, and maybe could have borrowed a couple of SC 92 girls to bolster your bench.

Hope your daughter makes a quick recovery from her injury (unless she plays for Wando, in which case I hope that the condition is chronic, and that she remains lame until she graduates from high school.)

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
throw in
throw in
F
First for SC ODP, you would need to define what success is- holdovers, team success in advancing to ODP Nationals or player improvement. If its holdovers- that one is tricky to address due to the dynamics of the selection process. SC 92G beat Mississippi 3-2 while mostly resting a couple of players for pool games. Mississippi has 4 holdovers, SC 1. One of the NC holdovers didn’t start for her club team- behind other NC ODP players that did not get heldover. So it would be hard to design a system to make holdovers happen. Team successes are easier to address with more practices and training. The luck of the draw with your selected opponent in advancement games will often determine that potential success as well. SC ODP could opt for more training and practice but the costs would rise, along with the conflicts with high school soccer. Additional training sessions through the spring would mean high school players would be training almost every day. Injuries would rise and effectiveness would decrease. Additional summer training would conflict with regional preparation, camps, etc. Player improvement is already happening by training sessions, playing with and against top players in highly competitive games, etc. Additional training sessions training sessions would help, with the same problems outlined above.

SC ODP seems to have success in relation to states of similar size. Texas, GA, Florida and NC have much bigger pools and therefore it will always be tough to compete. The question is- what exactly would define success for SC ODP?

world cup
world cup
EAsoccer9,

Your theory may hold some weight on the boys side, but does not explain the perceived shortcoming on the girls side.

Yesterday I had lunch with a D2 college coach who has coached college soccer in both North and South Carolina. He told me that he feels the talent pool in South Carolina is relatively deeper on the girls side, as compared to the boys side.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
throw in
throw in
Hi Hurst!!! You are a funny, funny man! Yes, my GK daughter played for Wando, and sorry to inform you her leg is getting better daily. She should be good to go for her Ole Miss camp on Sunday. She will actually be playing her Senior year at IMG, so your curse is ineffective..LOL!! Actually she injured her hamstring playing field in the first game, which must have been a hoot to watch, since she hasn't played field in 5 years. I'm surprised she wasn't red-carded!
As far as the 91 and 92 girls go, I just heard from my daughter who is on the bus coming back, and there was only 1 Regional Pool holdover for SC girls, and that was 92 Alex Ramsey. Quite a contrast from last year, when 3 91's - Jade, Katie Tate and Morgan Thomas were all held over.
As far as the 91 girls, they were just really short-handed, and some girls that have been on the team for years weren't in attendance for various reasons. I am sure the Coaches did a great job with the numbers they had. I do know that several players had been in Raleigh and were pretty tired, so that also may have played a role in the low attendance.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

First for SC ODP, you would need to define what success is- holdovers, team success in advancing to ODP Nationals or player improvement. If its holdovers- that one is tricky to address due to the dynamics of the selection process. SC 92G beat Mississippi 3-2 while mostly resting a couple of players for pool games. Mississippi has 4 holdovers, SC 1. One of the NC holdovers didn’t start for her club team- behind other NC ODP players that did not get heldover. So it would be hard to design a system to make holdovers happen. Team successes are easier to address with more practices and training. The luck of the draw with your selected opponent in advancement games will often determine that potential success as well. SC ODP could opt for more training and practice but the costs would rise, along with the conflicts with high school soccer. Additional training sessions through the spring would mean high school players would be training almost every day. Injuries would rise and effectiveness would decrease. Additional summer training would conflict with regional preparation, camps, etc. Player improvement is already happening by training sessions, playing with and against top players in highly competitive games, etc. Additional training sessions training sessions would help, with the same problems outlined above.

SC ODP seems to have success in relation to states of similar size. Texas, GA, Florida and NC have much bigger pools and therefore it will always be tough to compete. The question is- what exactly would define success for SC ODP?

Fair questions. How about this?

Organizationally can we look at each age group and say that we did our best? That is, was the structure in place to give SC kids the same opportunity to excel and be seen as some kid from TX or GA or NC?

Soccer is interesting in that its very much an individual game....and also very much a team game. Unless a kid is Ronaldinho...to show well he needs to be able to play off of his/her teammates. That takes chemistry and trust which takes time to build.

If I were organizing ODP....there would be 2 training sessions in between the first tryout and the first subregional. I would schedule one Sunday per month in Feb, Mar, April, and May....for a 2-3 hour training session. I would schedule 2-3 training sessions in June. I would publish the training schedule when rosters were announced so that everyone knows the plan well in advance and can plan accordingly. I would schedule training sessions with other age groups where it made sense, so that each session could have 45 minutes or so of scrimmaging for tactical work.

If I'm organizing this....and this is what I bring to the table, with the quality coaches that the program already has...to me this is giving the kids "their money's worth".

In terms of state size.....that argument holds water for building teams, not for individual players. If population alone were the driver then India, China, and the US would be far ahead of Portugal, Spain, etc....and we know thats not the case.

There is no reason for SC not to be sending 2-3 kids to region pool every year, in every age group regardless of gender...and getting a kid on the region team in each age group by gender.

To accept less is wrong.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

EAsoccer9,

Your theory may hold some weight on the boys side, but does not explain the perceived shortcoming on the girls side.

Yesterday I had lunch with a D2 college coach who has coached college soccer in both North and South Carolina. He told me that he feels the talent pool in South Carolina is relatively deeper on the girls side, as compared to the boys side.

I don't think it holds weight on the boys side either. Its a valid argument for explaining why an NC team might do better at regions than a SC team. But not for ODP.

I doubt NC Club coaches are any more tolerant than SC high school coaches of a player missing practices or games. Actually, I think it would be HARDER to train an NC high school aged player becasue they are playing club and weekends....are when you play your games. By contrast....HS aged SC kids, for the most part, have their weekends off during the Spring. HS coach may schedule something....but its an exception, not the rule.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Congrats to Alex!!!!!

F
throw in
throw in
F
Good structure that I think some of the teams already follow. I think the June trainings could be potentially a problem, though important for the teams. I think it would be good to have a weekend of games bewteen the SC ODP teams and the SC teams that are playing in regionals. This would help both teams prepare for their competitions and have SC soccer presnted in the best terms in both competitions. There would be significant SC crossovers between these teams so you might have to bring in NC or GA teams that are also particpating in regionals. This may be where SCYSA could help the process.

If the holdovers/region team numbers is the goal, having the teams play better together will enhance the possibility of that happening. However, there would also have to be a "different" behind the scenes campaign for SC players. Florida has way more region holdovers than their team success would indicate. The FL ODP group must have effective region strategies to place their players. If having region holdovers/region team members is the goal for SC ODP, then a better "marketing" campaign would need to be designed/implemented.

M
brace
brace
M
Big Daddy,

The training schedule the 92 Boys have followed this season has been close to what you've outlined. The boys trained every Sunday starting right after tryouts in May and June and then finished with a two day camp prior to leaving for Alabama.

Also, I agree NC players who play club and odp have about an equal demand on their time as they likely train three nights per week, play on the weekends and then have odp practices. SC players train daily with their school teams and then train on Sundays for odp. I would think the time spent training and playing nets out to a very similar number.

The important thing is to have the commitment of the players selected to be in the pool based on the training they are getting. Selection to be on the team to attend Region Camp should be a reward for hard work and attendance during the entire training period.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard