Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Goal
Goal
D
This camp was the final event for the '91 age group. They're done.

According to my daughter, the North Texas team that participated in Houston and went on to win the National ODP Championship for the '91s also lost quite a few of its players before coming to Alabama. The NTX team at this camp was reported to be made up of players from both Texas and Florida. Most of the "regulars" who did not attend from the different states dropped out of the program having already made verbal commitments to colleges. Players will make the decisions regarding participation that they need to make.

What hurt this year's '91 SC team was the lack of notice given by a couple of players. The players who went to Alabama representing SC as the '91 team became the 2008 team during the course of the camp. The players that didn't attend by dropping out ended their ODP experience as members of last year's team.

M
brace
brace
M
Thanks for the clarification. The '07 team must have had 50% or so of players who just finished their junior year. That's the only reason I could see for commitments getting in the way of participation.

Our 92 squad only has five 10th graders. The rest have just finished the 9th grade. Interesting dynamic to consider moving forward.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
throw in
throw in
Deltadog - of the players who didn't participate as members of the '91 team, how many have already verbally committed to colleges?

throw in
throw in
Delta Dog, You are right that the 91 Girls in attendance at Montevallo should be commended. I am sure their fight and heart did not go unnoticed. They actually had quite a few injuries also. My daughter told me that even though they were small in numbers, that she measured their success this year by the fact that they had a wonderful time bonding at this years camp - friendships forged that she hopes will last. When these girls face each other at the College level, as many will, they will have even greater respect for their opponent.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Deltadog - of the players who didn't participate as members of the '91 team, how many have already verbally committed to colleges?

Of the 8 former members I know of at least 4 that have made verbal commitments. One of the 8 is still recovering from an injury during the High School season, and another passed on attending to attend a later camp at a college she is interested in. However, several of the players who did attend have also already made verbal commitments to colleges. One of the players in attendance graduated early and will be headed to the Citadel in two weeks to begin Fall training.

Given the subject of this thread, I guess you have to ask each player what she is looking to get from participation to determine "Is ODP worth it???". For those who participate only to gain exposure to the college coaches as part of the recruiting process, I guess having already made a verbal commitment would make participation this year not worth it. However, for those who participate to try out for an opportunity to play at the next level (state, regional and then national) participation would be worth it regardless of verbal commitments.

One of the national coaches often addresses the players before the subregional events, and he asks the players why they are there. After hearing a variety of reasons for attending he will reply, "No. You are here to try to make the national team." There are many great fringe benefits to participation in ODP, but the fundamental purpose of the program is to identify the individual players capable of someday playing as part of the US National Team.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. The '07 team must have had 50% or so of players who just finished their junior year. That's the only reason I could see for commitments getting in the way of participation.

Manchester, except for the money involved that really is the part I don't understand. What college coach out there having just gotten a verbal commitment from one of his or her recruits would not support that recruit's participation in the ODP process? Could you imagine Anson Dorrance standing in the way of his players participating in World Cup or the Olympics even though that participation may coincide with his on league schedule? While I fully respect any player's decision to not participate in ODP, I do not fully understand how verbal commitments play into the decision.

corner kick
corner kick
My daughter is a member of the 91 girls ODP team that just got back from AL and was also a member of last years team that played in Houston. She verbally committed about 3 weeks ago. I can tell you that in every instance during the recruiting process we asked about going to ODP vs a college camp and they all said ODP is about the training and competition and recommended that she continue with ODP and if possible go to a college camp.

Tomorrow...is too late.
Hobo Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
Quote:

Our 92 squad only has five 10th graders. The rest have just finished the 9th grade. Interesting dynamic to consider moving forward.

I think this is backwards. I only know of 5 9th graders, the rest are 10th graders or rising 11th graders. So next year from this team only 5 will be 10th graders. So will the 92 team have the same problem as the 91's did this year with so many rising seniors next year?

That there is an RV Clark......
Hobo #107046 07/12/08 03:39 PM
M
brace
brace
M
Quote:

Quote:

I think this is backwards. I only know of 5 9th graders, the rest are 10th graders or rising 11th graders. So next year from this team only 5 will be 10th graders. So will the 92 team have the same problem as the 91's did this year with so many rising seniors next year?

ODP participation on a college player's profile is a plus. I can't imagine any college coach asking players not to participate because of a verbal commitment. If players from the 91 team didn't participate in the camp strictly because of verbal commitments it would be helpful for those coming up to have a full understanding of why such a decision was made.

Why abandon a successful team which gives every player a shot a playing at the regional or national level?

M
brace
brace
M
SC ODP 92 Boys Holdovers:

Walas
Lunceford
Palma
DeMare
Nobles
Limbaugh
Garbanzo

Congratulations SC ODP 92 Boys and Coaches!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard