Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 25 1 2 21 22 23 24 25
world cup
world cup
cht,

Very good point. The CESA Premier 93 Girls are a solid R3PL team but I believe only two or three players from that squad were represented on the 94 Girls ODP team.

firsttouch,

Here's another way to look at the situation. Let's look at the make up of the only South Carolina girl to get heldover in the four age groups this summer. I have heard two different coaches, one a college women's coach, another a DOC of a large club, talk about her ability. Both said the same thing:

"She plays like a guy".

Certainly this young lady has very good technical and tactical ability but the greatest compliment they could offer was that she plays like a guy.

Question to all the parents out there.......does your daughter "play like a guy"?

Last edited by Hurst66; 07/21/08 02:09 PM.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
M
brace
OP Offline
brace
M
Quote:

Not all the players from club teams come out for ODP..You can use it as a gauge but when only three or four girls from one club team come out..It's not the core of the team..
We have found that it's one or two players from this area and a couple from here..Our club team had three..For whatever reasons players choose to not play

Therein is the problem . . . find a way to get the best players involved. Every team should make it mandatory for players to attend ODP tryouts. When that happens, you'll see a huge difference in the outcomes.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
F
throw in
throw in
F
"plays like a guy" that is the best they can do? That is sexist, condesending, inappropriate... the list is endless. There are many qualities/skills that could be sighted but to imply that "playing like a guy" is the be all end all and all that needs to be said is sad. Women's soccer stands on its own terms with most of the top women athletes competing against one another in soccer. So for any college coach or top club DOC to use that phrase is just wrong

M
brace
OP Offline
brace
M

No question finding the time to practice during club season is difficult. Combining age groups could be a very good solution to low turnouts due to game conflicts for the Spring season age groups.

Combine that with a deliberate effort to get every player involved and you're on to something.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
I
goal
goal
I
CHT I am sure other state have kids, and teams that do not participate. As far as the 95 girls went - our girls did not look as good, as the other states. Only two made the coaches choice game, and I heard politics helped those. We are flat behind.

SCYSA, and the clubs have to led the way. I am working in my own way to insure the kids I know, know the value of ODP.

N
bench
bench
N
Plays like a guy? Are you kidding me? I want my daughter to model Abby Wambach and Mia Hamm. I'm a dad. You must not have a daughter. And as far as "the best girls from SC not trying out", give me a break. If the other girls who didn't brave the heat, humidity, challenges of being away from home and the pressures of big time soccer want to give it a try, have 'em come to the tryouts. The '93 girls had players from Greenville, Spatanburg, Anderson, Lexington, Columbia, Florence, Mt. Pleasent and Hilton Head. If the other girls from Myrtle Beach, Socastee, CESA, Columbia United and The Bridge want to compete against the best in South Carolina, they need to show up for tryouts. I gurantee you Florida, Texas, North Carolina, etc..., are sending their best players.

world cup
world cup
I got news for you.

Abby Wambach plays like "a guy". So do most memebers of the WNT.

That's why they are at that level.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Yeah..she doess play like a guy and remember the look that Mia would give her teammates whenever she made that run down the line and cross the ball to no one..True competitors..

N
bench
bench
N
You can't be serious hurst. Abby plays like a girl. Because she is. I hope you don't coach girls soccer. Hopefully you'll never have the opportunity to coach my two daughters. You gotta be joking, right? You can't be so ignorant.

J
throw in
throw in
J
Perhaps the tryouts need to happen at some date other than the final weekend of tournament play. That's the reason my daughter couldn't tryout.

Page 23 of 25 1 2 21 22 23 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard