Print Thread
Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25
M
brace
OP Offline
brace
M
Quote:

Man, how much do you attribute that to certain coaches putting bugs in the ear of the selection coaches versus actual ability? I know when I went thru this a couple years ago that it was based on 'who you know' rather than talent. Congrats anyways, good to see our state repped.

BamBam,

I think there is some validity to your assertion, but for good reason as I'll explain. The shear number of players selected for pool games from this squad demonstrates a result brought about by commitment, a willingness to be coached and good old fashioned talent.

The Georgia team they are playing as I type this reply had 15 players selected for the second pool game, which was rescheduled for tonight due to rain. Having said that and as you probably know, each team is assigned a region team coach and I think this empowers the state team coach with the responsibility to make sure region coaches know who he/she (the state team coach) feels are players to watch.

Obviously, such professional opinions and observations of the state team coach are built (rightfully so) on how the player(s) performed during training. A player can't possibly expect a coach to promote him/her if he/she hasn't earned the right during training sessions.

Having been in USYSA ODP now for five years and USL SYL ODP for two years, I believe every SC Coach and SCYSA take pride in elevating players they feel represent the total package of commitment, work ethic and execution displayed during the entire process.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
M
brace
OP Offline
brace
M
Happy to report the defeat of GA ODP 92 Boys in Game 3. This opponent has 15 pool player selections and at least 2 region team players. Congratulations to the boys and ALL of their coaches (ODP, Club and HS) on a job well done. 9 Goals scored and 1 goal given up in three games. Looking forward to Nationals in January and hopefully some holdovers.

Congratulations to every player for a job well done in preparation and execution!

7-11-08
SC 92 Boys
Game 3: 0-1 at Halftime
Final: 2-1
Goals: Lunceford, Lunceford
Assists: Tuggle, 2nd not recorded yet
Opponent: Georgia
Pool Game: 11 Selected from 7-10

The second pool game, which was to be made up tonight, has been cancelled . . . I guess because this is the same group that would be playing each other in that game.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Congrats to the 92's. Hard to believe this is basically the same team that had little success at region camp last year. If I recall correctly they didn't win a game. I have been really impressed with Coach Okpodu at the various ODP events the past several years and am not suprised by the outcome of this years team. Players and parents should consider themselves lucky to have him.

M
brace
OP Offline
brace
M
Quote:

Congrats to the 92's. Hard to believe this is basically the same team that had little success at region camp last year. If I recall correctly they didn't win a game. I have been really impressed with Coach Okpodu at the various ODP events the past several years and am not suprised by the outcome of this years team. Players and parents should consider themselves lucky to have him.

Soccer63, First of all, thank you for the congratulations. On the issue of this basically being the same team, there are actually only a handful (5) of players from last year on this squad. The difference is in the participation of top talent who had not come out before or may have come out one year and not the next. This is a prime example of what I and others have said about getting the players to come out and embrace the challenge to compete and train for a spot on their state team.

I should also mention again that two very talented players on the roster were not able to come at the last minute for personal reasons and another is still recovering from ACL reconstruction. This team will be ready for Nationals.

M
brace
OP Offline
brace
M
Quote:

The 92 boys deserve the recognition. They have exceptional coaching who demands excellence not only in skills but physical conditioning. I believe how the team performs overall has alot to do with pool play selection not who you know! Good job boys! Those long hot practices have paid off.

Soccer16,

Thanks for the support. I know we're all very proud of them. They can be even better next year by adding another unnamed talented player.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Any word on the 93 & 94 boys this morning?

Brace
Brace
94 boys beat LA 3-1. Hear they need to beat AL tomorrow to qualify for NO.

Scores to date for 94 boys:

3-3 MS
1-1 OK
3-1 LA

Rick Fielden
world cup
world cup
Congratulations to the 92 boys and Coach Sam Okpodu. He's a very good coach.

http://newberry.athleticsite.com/profile.asp?playerID=206

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
B
Who is on the 92 boys roster? The SCYSA webpage used to have this information but now has little about ODP. What players weren't able to make the trip?

M
brace
OP Offline
brace
M
Quote:

Who is on the 92 boys roster? The SCYSA webpage used to have this information but now has little about ODP. What players weren't able to make the trip?

At this time, I don't have a complete list of the players to post. As to who couldn't go, there were two players from CESA 92 and one player from Augusta Arsenal 91. All three of whom are very capable players.

Page 3 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard