Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25
N
bench
bench
N
My daughter played on this years '93 odp team. Last year at region the team went 0-3-0, losing 8-0 in one game. This year the girls went 1-1-1, scores of 0-0, 3-2 and 1-4. The last vs MS, who had 2 region starters on their team, and the score was 1-1 at the half. When we got home, my daughter woke up the next day and jumped rope for 30 minutes, ran 2 miles and went to her club practice that afternoon. To say these girls aren't working hard enough is bull. If the state coaches and reps worked as hard promoting the girls to the region staff, we'd be getting more than one girl on the 3 region teams. It's not the girls, it's the state program. We had a total of 5 practices in 6 months. The Florida teams had 5 practices in 2 weeks. If it takes more money, I'll gladly pay. I'm not the soccer expert here. The state leaders need to step up.

T
TS Offline
goal kick
goal kick
T
I was at the '93-'94 girls camp this year. I think a lot of what everyone said previously is accurate, you must have the talent. However I also think that a lot happens through personal interaction between state coaches and regional evaluators. I witnessed the Florida director of coaching, or head coach, or what ever his tittle was, being very friendly to the region coaches and evaluators. In turn 15 Florida players were selected to the pool. A lot can be said for having a "cold one" with the region guys after the girls are in for the night.

TS #107281 07/21/08 12:58 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Let those at scysa know how you feel about the season..You can vent here but nothing changes..It may not make a difference at all but we can say we tried..Those in charge actually work for the player so let them know if you are happy or not with our current system..If there were no players they would not hold these positions..I think feedback is a good thing..How else do we learn?

M
brace
OP Offline
brace
M
Quote:

My daughter played on this years '93 odp team. Last year at region the team went 0-3-0, losing 8-0 in one game. This year the girls went 1-1-1, scores of 0-0, 3-2 and 1-4. The last vs MS, who had 2 region starters on their team, and the score was 1-1 at the half. When we got home, my daughter woke up the next day and jumped rope for 30 minutes, ran 2 miles and went to her club practice that afternoon. To say these girls aren't working hard enough is bull. If the state coaches and reps worked as hard promoting the girls to the region staff, we'd be getting more than one girl on the 3 region teams. It's not the girls, it's the state program. We had a total of 5 practices in 6 months. The Florida teams had 5 practices in 2 weeks. If it takes more money, I'll gladly pay. I'm not the soccer expert here. The state leaders need to step up.

Nonato,

You are one of very few people posting in this thread that seem to get it. Any player who would come home after region camp and train as your daughter has done will be a player who will be noticed. That's exactly the kind of individual dedication it will take. It also takes demanding more from each other and the program.

Our 92 boys trained a solid 3 months every Sunday, except for one because the coach had to be out of town, and they were at a 2 day team camp the Sunday and Monday prior to departure on Tuesday. This year it paid off with three straight wins, 12 pool game players and 7 holdovers and qualification for Nationals.

Last year they did the exact same thing with a very different team and came away with a handful of pool game players and no holdovers. The year prior to that, not quite as many training sessions and no team camp, but still they had a respectable showing, pool game presence and one holdover.

Keep in mind our players aren't playing club in the Spring, so we had Sundays open.

My point here is in recognizing the common denominator is in the commitment players show their state team coach from day one so he/she gets excited for them and wants their success as much as they do. Busting your butt to attend every practice is one way of doing that.

From my experience we are blessed with coaches in the program who will go the extra mile for their team. Get every player to do the same like your daughter has done and you'll see them hammer the competition and get the recognition you know they deserve.

You can bet the top 25 players in Region III have the same work ethic you've described in your own daughter. That's what it'll take to be placed among the top 100 USYSA ODP players in the country. Does your son or daughter put their stamp on the game? That's what coaches are looking for at the region level. It's more about timing than politics. Did the region coach see your son or daughter put that stamp on the game. Maybe, maybe not.

Think about that number of the top 100 players in the US, who once identified, are working to earn a place on the national team and then decide if your son or daughter really does do what it takes to be promoted by a coach to that exclusive region pool level of 44 players. If the answer is no, then you should reevaluate your criticism the program and ask your player rethink how much he/she wants to be among that group and then do the extra stuff required to be named one of the best in the region.

Looking at this another way, let's assume you're the Region coach charged with the responsibility of finding the top 25 players in one quarter of the United States. I'm sure you'll agree, that's a pretty big task to accomplish over six days.

1. Are you going to feel the need to equally distribute your selections across every state, when the players attending region camp have already gone through a rigorous selection process to earn their right to be there as a pool of players attending another tryout? Not likely.

2. Did the state team coach feel the need to distribute the selection of state team players equally across every club? Not likely.

If it's me, I'm looking for the best of the best who've proven themselves to their state coach during training and then to their assigned region coach during the first couple of days of camp.

I'm going to consider the recommendation of the assigned region coach and listen to the state coach regarding the players I've had the good fortune to see put their stamp on the game.

I'm going to think of every player as an individual who is attending a higher level tryout. That means every player I select as a Region coach must meet the highest standards I see within the talent pool available to me. Am I going to miss players I should have picked and pick players I shouldn't have picked? Probably, but that's the nature of tryouts.

No question, SC has the talent to compete and earn spots regionally across every age group. What happens beyond that point? who knows? Be proactive in making an impact by getting fired up and demanding more of everyone involved. It takes a ton of work on every level. Any coach will sense your collective excitement for the support of a team that does all of the things region players do and he/she will carry that excitement to the regional level.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Manchester......you are SOOOO close, and yet so far.

You talk about the needs for kids to be self motivated (i agree) and then use the 92 boys as an example of what happens when you work hard. Except.....

The example of hard work used is TEAM BASED. You had a motivated, organized, hard working coach.

Many of the people posting here, particularly on the girls side, had no such experience. This is an organizational failing.....not an individual player failing. Woking harder individually....isn't likely to change anything for a kid on a team like that.

I'm thrilled your son has had a great ODP experience. You should feel fortunate and blessed....because it appears a good many other motivated kids....weren't so lucky.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Our 92 boys trained a solid 3 months every Sunday, except for one because the coach had to be out of town, and they were at a 2 day team camp the Sunday and Monday prior to departure on Tuesday. This year it paid off with three straight wins, 12 pool game players and 7 holdovers and qualification for Nationals.

Keep in mind our players aren't playing club in the Spring, so we had Sundays open.

How do the younger age groups practice like this with club season going on? They can't. Numerous times our coach would have practice only to have 8 or 9 show up. You can't blame the others for not attending when they have a club game the same day. Then they had spring state cup - seemed like it was one thing after another - in this case what is a coach to do? Hopefully as the younger kids get older they will get a little more out of odp like the 92's have - especially at a time when they are really getting looked at.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
If you have had a son and a daughter go thru the program..you can see the difference..Practices can be difficult if the player is playing club ball..I feel that the different age groups should set practices up together so when eight show up from each team..You have a squad to practice with..On the girls side..if only eight can attend we just cancel practice for a month..I think players can get alot out a short numbered practice..a lot more touches on the ball..less rest time and you can show more attention to detail..

world cup
world cup

Good point. Once the kids get to U-15 it is much easier to get them together for a Sunday training session. There are less conflicts in the spring when they become that age.

Above you use the term "really getting looked at". I know you are using this in the context of Region III coaches evaluating our players for being heldover, but let's not forget that many of our best players have gone on to play Division I college soccer without even making a region team. College coaches see players, from U-16 through U-18, at R3PL matches, college showcase tournaments and college/club (usually DII) scrimmages such as the CESA CAPS program.

Although we need to raise the profile of our ODP teams......all is not lost.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
throw in
throw in
F
Holdovers should be about the most talented players getting those positions. The SC ODP girls program faired badly this year in getting holdovers. The question would be: are there region level talented girls in the SC ODP program getting overlooked or does the program overall lack that level of talent? Probably the only way to get at this question is to look at regional results of the club teams- that is, to win games against regional opponents you have to have region level talent-talented players win games against other talented players. That is the reason to look at club/team success. If the SC club teams can compete with Florida and GA, then there must be talented players on those teams. Talented enough to be heldover when competing with these same players at ODP. There will also be talented players on other SC teams as well. The answer appears to be yes- the SC girl's ODP teams have region level talent that is being overlooked. Florida, on the other hand, seems to get more players held over than their
success would dictate- their players do not appear to be more talented than the SC players, so the FL ODP contingent must be doing extremely well in promoting their talent. The SC ODP coaches seem to be doing all they can for the players. I think the other states, especially Florida, are employing different strategies in addition to their team coaches

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Not all the players from club teams come out for ODP..You can use it as a gauge but when only three or four girls from one club team come out..It's not the core of the team..
We have found that it's one or two players from this area and a couple from here..Our club team had three..For whatever reasons players choose to not play

Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard