Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25
S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Hurst,

I would not let Nonato get under my collar too bad with 6 post compared to your 3656. I would say they have not yet learned proper scsoccer.com etiquette. If Nonato is looking for Jerry Springer type action they need to wait until spring when the boys varsity forums come back to life - otherwise sit back and observe for a while - you just might get some food for thought from the wisdom of Hurst and Manchester.

Goal
Goal
Hurst,

I agree with soccer63. Nonato is a little defensive on this issue. Keep up your insightful posts!

Victory Starts Here!
M
brace
OP Offline
brace
M
Hurst,

I love this line "On the field, she takes on her opponents like they just stole her lunch money. Losing is NOT an option". Great stuff!

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Not sure which of these are greater signs of the coming apocalypse....

Hurst being associated with vengeful/meanspirited coaching of girls?

Or Hurst being associated with wisdom and insightful posts?

Holy cow!!! Which is weirder?

Next, someone is going to accuse Shibumi of being a liberal commie whose really only interested in promoting SCYSA as it currently exists.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Quote:

Not all the players from club teams come out for ODP..You can use it as a gauge but when only three or four girls from one club team come out..It's not the core of the team..
We have found that it's one or two players from this area and a couple from here..Our club team had three..For whatever reasons players choose to not play

Therein is the problem . . . find a way to get the best players involved. Every team should make it mandatory for players to attend ODP tryouts. When that happens, you'll see a huge difference in the outcomes.

Manchester, with all due respect I don't believe pushing clubs to require mandatory participation in ODP is the answer to getting more players held over. However, I do believe all clubs should encourage participation. Required participation may improve the talent pool and the opportunity for team success, but if a player participates for any other reason than his/her heart is into the endeavor then the process will eventually weed him/her out.

As far as individuals being held over is concerned, I'd like to reiterate what Marcus Aurelius posted earlier that the coaches in Alabama are watching 24/7. Further, not only does a player not know the WHEN of being watched, he/she may not know the WHAT of being watched. For example, three years ago, when the '91 girls team made its first trip to Alabama the region coach assigned to the team told the state coach during a game to pull one of the players off the field, get in her face... hard, and put her back on the field. Just to see how she handled it (by the way she passed the test). Another player who made a pool game never got a chance to play in the game (due to weather the game was canceled at the half). During her evaluation, the region coach said the player seemed to lose some of her intensity as the week continued, and the state coach spoke up reminding the region coach of the player's disappointment after the wash-out of the pool game. The region coach's response... "Well, she needs to learn to get over it."

What impressed me that year was not only the 24/7 aspect of the evaluations being made, but also the depth of evaluations being made. Every component of the four components of the game (technical, tactical, physical and psychological) is being evaluated... 24/7.

Which brings us to what I think generally had to do with the reduced number of holdovers this year for SC girls, at least as far as the '91's and 93's are concerned... perceived, if not real, lack of desire.

The '91 team turned heads last summer in Alabama, then went to Houston in January and showed well finishing as the #4 team in Region III. While there, a national scout told one of the parents that the team was getting new attention and several members of the team were being considered from a regional standpoint. Of the 18 players traveling to Houston only 8 traveled to Alabama. That's 10 players that did not show the desire to continue competing to make the next level.

The '93 team did show great improvement as a team over last year's outing (btw, the MS score was 1-2 at the half). However, from a desire standpoint I would only have even considered 3 players as potential holdovers. Why? Although I think the SC coach approached this differently than the other state coaches (I could be wrong), after the team's first and second games he asked for volunteers to play additional "rainbow" games (two players from each state against a "whole" state). Two days of opportunities and only three volunteered... total. Given the 24/7 WHEN and WHAT, had I been the region coach assigned to the SC team I probably would have crossed off every name on the the roster other than the three that showed the desire to play on... regardless of talent.

In defense of the '93 players' I don't think they were fully aware of the potential significance of volunteering to play the additional games (all had just played as a team full time in the Alabama heat). Unfortunately, when asked to volunteer all but three did not raise their hands.

I believe the state organization can do more to attract more players to the program, but there has to be desire on the part of the player. Those who have the desire now have approximately 350 days to prepare for next year's tryouts in Alabama. More than anything else it will be what each player does during the next 350 days that will determine his/her potential for success at the next camp. Get a calendar and start marking off the days.

Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard