Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Bluffton boys soccer team banned from postseason play
http://www.islandpacket.com/sports/local/story/566174.html
Sam McDowell, The Island Packet

Quote:

An ugly ending to the Bluffton High School soccer team's season in May will cost next year's squad a chance to compete for a state championship.

On Friday, the South Carolina High School League executive committee upheld commissioner Jerome Singleton's ruling to ban the Bluffton boys from postseason play in 2009 because of an incident that took place in a season-ending playoff loss on May 6.

With the Bobcats trailing 4-2 to Airport High School in that contest, Bluffton's J.P. Sandoval received a red card with time winding down on the Bobcats' season. His teammate, Erick Velez, responded by shoving the center referee, effectively ending the game.

Bluffton athletics director Dave Adams received news Monday that the team would be banned from participating in postseason play, a decision he immediately appealed to the executive committee.

Adams argued that the school's punishment -- which included a suspension for Velez -- was strict enough, and therefore no additional penalties were necessary.

The executive committee disagreed, denying the appeal on Friday.

"We have more problems in soccer than any other sport," Ted Greene told the (Columbia) State on Friday. Greene, the principal at Mullins High School, is an executive committee member. "We have got to send a strong message."

Adams said Velez is no longer at Bluffton High School, and that he won't be a part of the Bobcats soccer team next season. But that didn't affect the committee's ruling Friday.

"It's unfair to hold the rest of the team responsible," Adams said. "But it's a life lesson. If you are part of a team, you have to pay the consequences of the team. ... I just hate it for the seniors."

Bluffton still will play its full slate of regular season games next spring. And it will be allowed a chance to win the Region 7-AAA championship, a title claimed by Hilton Head Island High School last season.

S
Brace
Brace
S
Is there any proof to his statement??? Or is it that every little thing that happens in our sport, they blow it up as a big issue?

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Quote:

Is there any proof to his statement??? Or is it that every little thing that happens in our sport, they blow it up as a big issue?

Good question!

We know that every high school in the state has an athletic director either at the school itself or at the district level. There are various schools of size depending on what part of the state you live. Obviously, Mullins HS is a Class 2A school in a relatively rural area of the Pee Dee region. This Principal or ADs mindset is that of many in the S.C. High School League when they hear that "soccer leads all sports in the number of ejections".

Well, what they don't understand is that soccer's rules are unlike any other in prep athletics. In football, a personal foul results in a 15-yard penalty. In basketball, five personal fouls results in an ejection. In baseball, a pitcher throwing at a batter winds up being a warning. In soccer, a tackle from behind can be interpreted as a straight-red card, though it might be a "professional foul" in the realm of the soccer world. So, when these start tallying up around the Palmetto State, then prep soccer receives a black-eye.

Will it change? Probably not in my lifetime, but the S.C. High School Soccer Coaches has worked diligently at relaying this message at various levels with the SCHSL, the S.C. Athletic Coaches Association, etc. However, an AD or Principal with 30 years under his belt and who probably was reluctant to add soccer in the first place at their school -- note, Mullins has not won a boys soccer match in at least five years (2004-08) -- and you are going to get some backlash whether it is deserved or not.

In the Midlands area, local sports radio personality Teddy Heffner of AM-1400 "The Team" hosts a daily show from 7-10 a.m., entitled "Talking Sports". Nearly every Thursday, Airport AD Kirk Burnett is a guest for one hour (8-9 a.m.). I have heard him comment on soccer throughout his stints at Ridge View HS (football/baseball coach) and Airport (AD/football coach) as having 'problems' that ADs have to deal with constantly. He said this past spring that 'every soccer season its the same discipline problems' with soccer.

I'm not blaming anyone in this matter, but it is something that coaches, players, parents, fans, and referees need to be cognizant of and an area in which needs to be addressed and worked on even more by people involved with 'our game'. If you have any suggestions, please list them in this thread.

S
Brace
Brace
S
Unfrotunately, no matter what, we won't change the perception these AD's and principals have on our beloved sport. It's rather unfortunate that one event involving one player, and automatically they view every kid as a problem if they play soccer. Well, last time i checked, these kids are enrolled in your school, probably play the "major" sports in the fall and winter, but yet when tehy're on the field, they are violent kids who have no control or self-discipline. Down in my area we have to deal with issues that should not even be issues, thus creating a bad atmosphere where the players feel unappreciated and take the "i don' give a flying ****" attitude since the "top dogs" pay them no mind.I think i'll stop now before i really explode............

Misael Garzon
May River HS Boys Varsity Head Coach
mgarzon1217@gmail.com
O
kick off
kick off
O
so it's okay to punch a ref???? Are we missing the point??

world cup
world cup
offsides,

No one is arguing about whether the punishment fit the crime. The discussion here is centering on how to "win over" Neanderthals like Mr. Greene.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
O
kick off
kick off
O
Hurst, I see what you are saying. I wish soccer would get its due respect as a competitive high school sport.

L
Goal
Goal
L
not punched - Erick Velez, responded by shoving the center referee. And the whole team has been banned from post season play. Sounds just and fair, right?

Velez has left the school and Singleton couldn't touch/torch him so he reached out and took it out on the team. That's my read on it. Most AD don't pay any attention to soccer especially when you're tearing up the football field. If an issue comes up with soccer most AD's are put out with having to deal with it.

Does this not sound like a visionary to you?

"We have more problems in soccer than any other sport," Ted Greene told the (Columbia) State on Friday. Greene, the principal at Mullins High School, is an executive committee member. "We have got to send a strong message."

Glad he's not at my kid'sschool.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
How many times have you seen a football team banned from post season play? Face it folks..everyone loves football so these kids can do whatever and most don't care for or about soocer.. I have a hard time believeing that Mullins High has a soccer problem..Student problems I can swallow..
How many players on a soocer team? and how many on football? Do the math..Mr Greene

world cup
world cup
I think Northwestern's football team (or was it Rock Hill's?) got the death penalty a few years back after a brawl.

Also, every great high school football player in Charlotte is trying to weasel his way into South Pointe and the SCHSL is taking a tough stand.

Check this out from today's Rock Hill Herald:

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/722292.html

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard