Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
goal
goal
I
Most AD's were football coaches or are still football coaches, thus the void in knowledge. Wrestling was around when most of the current AD's were kids so they would support it more.

I still believe if the refs were in the control of the match from the on set there would be less issues in soccer, it (expulsions) has to correlate to under manning the ref crews.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Quote:

Most AD's were football coaches or are still football coaches, thus the void in knowledge. Wrestling was around when most of the current AD's were kids so they would support it more.

Soccer was around when they were kids too. No doubt most AD's are football coaches - but you would think with the phenomenal growth in youth soccer they would start trying to accept and support it.

But I think the bottom line is money. The revenue sports support the non revenue and most AD's (football coaches) look at non revenue as red headed step children. Always have always will. Check out this link in The State newspaper showing how USC football program’s projected revenues this year of more than $47 million would have made Gamecock football the state’s 19th-largest publicly traded company last year, according to calculations by cbj based on USC athletic department budget data.

Gamecocks cash machine ready to take the field

I
goal
goal
I
yes money matters, we have to make that go away, by getting fans in the stands so we break even...

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
soccer63... read the article with my coffee this morning.

However, you need to take what you read and keep it as that ...Period

The vast majority of D1 schools that have a football team do not come near to what the gamecocks have. In fact the vast majority loose money.

HS wise I would like to see the same breakdown... I will be willing to bet that HS fotball programs do not make the money most people think they do. (no booster club money in the mix)

Coaches salaries, equipment, all those referees, Stadium maintenance and lights, Bus transportation for team, for band, etc...

I do not pretend to know what an AD does everyday. But 4 months of the school year is real work, then you get 2 months off in the summer and the other 6 ou sit in your office looking pretty for pay...???.

I am sure there are exceptions, but that is it... exceptions

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
I never tried to say the job of an AD is easy - I'm sure it's anything but. I was only saying I hope more AD's throughout the state will start to see soccer as an increasingly vital part of the athletic department. With the phenomenal growth in youth soccer in both rec leagues and club ball they are missing the boat if they don't.

I still say money is a part of their attitudes - I'm sure they come closer to breaking even with football and basketball than most other sports.

Coach J #107814 08/05/08 09:24 PM
M
bench
bench
M
Regarding the number of red cards for Bluffton this last year -- prior to the two at the very end of the last game, Bluffton had one red card all year. One. There were, I think, eight the previous year, but the team was trying to change and improve its attitude, working on control and discipline. Until the final ten seconds of the last game, with the actions of one young player, the change had been working.

MC67 #107815 08/06/08 01:55 AM
J
goal kick
goal kick
J
MC67, where do you base your claim Bluffton had 8 red cards last year? I only remember one early in the season. 8 yellow cards I might agree with.

jwoodring #107816 08/06/08 03:55 AM
goal kick
goal kick
While I agree that there are differnet standards for ejection between the sports, the fact of the matter is that the rules of our game are the rules of our game. There are plenty of HIGHLY competitive payers who have never had a red card, from club at age ten all the way into college. They get called for stuff, and may get a good warning, but they play the game with respect. Should the next years team suffer because of one kid? I don't know, but a kid who would shove a ref couldn't be a complete surprise to his team or his coach.

I didn't do it, but if I had you never would have known.
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

soccer63... read the article with my coffee this morning.

However, you need to take what you read and keep it as that ...Period

The vast majority of D1 schools that have a football team do not come near to what the gamecocks have. In fact the vast majority loose money.

HS wise I would like to see the same breakdown... I will be willing to bet that HS fotball programs do not make the money most people think they do. (no booster club money in the mix)

Coaches salaries, equipment, all those referees, Stadium maintenance and lights, Bus transportation for team, for band, etc...

I do not pretend to know what an AD does everyday. But 4 months of the school year is real work, then you get 2 months off in the summer and the other 6 ou sit in your office looking pretty for pay...???.

I am sure there are exceptions, but that is it... exceptions

I think this is coming from a horribly misunderstood poster. You really, really should research this before you make more comments. I like your work, usually, but this one is not quite on par. A football team can make $40,000 of gate in a night. If it were not for football, the other sports at most schools would be in a lot of trouble. And who do you think takes care of the fields? When mowers break, gym floors need to be redone, parents are upset with the baseball coach, attends games instead of being home, handles eligibility issues, spring practice (some don't acknowledge this exist...AHEM!), bus issues, finding coaches, and on and on and on - who does these things? Being the AD is anything but easy and a 4 month job. People get upset and gripe about football AD's, but I think I'd be upset if my team brought in over 90% of the budget yet I could only spend around 20% of it.

S
Brace
Brace
S
Dale you hit the nail on the head. Don't forget the AD is the one who has to budget and appropriate all funds for the athletics department. So when our economy takes a hit and the athletic budget takes a hit, who do you think has to deal with it? Football is definitely the moneymaker but think about gas prices and when a sport exceeds that budget, where do you think that extra gas money comes from? There is a lot more to it than most people see. Being an AD is anything but easy or pretty.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard